Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified accountant work in Canada

Options
  • 11-01-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I'll be moving to Canada this year as an ACA qualified accountant. I'm hoping to end up in the investment management side of things eventually. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and could offer me some advice?

Do they require you to have US GAAP/Canadian GAAP experience and if so how much?

What recruitment agencies did people use?

Any other information on your experience moving over there would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 randomobserver

lou9 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be moving to Canada this year as an ACA qualified accountant. I'm hoping to end up in the investment management side of things eventually. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and could offer me some advice?

Do they require you to have US GAAP/Canadian GAAP experience and if so how much?

Any other information on your experience moving over there would be greatly appreciated!

I could have written this myself. Did you hear back from anyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lou9

No word yet!i will let you know if I get any information and if you could do the same it would be great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It really depends on your experience in that field, Canadians are big on relevant experience. From my limited experience of that industry over here, generally Fund/Investment accounting is not the high paying equivalent we have in Ireland. Most jobs I've seen/people I have spoken to are probably on the non qualified accounting salary.

Investment management may require a CFA designation (I can't 100% say that is a given but they are big on specializing in your field here.

As qualified accountant you will get work here but you need to be realistic and not set your initial sights too high, focus on getting that first role (contract most likely) Don't worry too much about what it is and how over qualified you are for it, the big focus is on getting Canadian work experience.

Once again depends on the role, however if you go down the contract route, you will pick up loads of experience in the space of 12 or 18 months.

My advice is use as many as you can! They will destroy your sole and you really have to chase them for roles and feedback. Honestly I love this country but the Recruitment Agencies are the only major negative I have with this Country. Make sure to use www.indeed.ca , through that you will see available roles and what agencies you need to contact.

Enjoy it and try not to stress too much when you first arrive, it may take sometime but you will get a job. I'd focus on getting an apartment as soon as you arrive.

Network as much as possible, you would be surprised how many jobs are filled by people knowing people.

Get on linkedin, many companies advertise jobs directly via it.

Don't narrow your job search to Downtown (If in Toronto, there is an excellent commuter system so you can get anywhere in under an hour)

Make your Resume 2 or 3 pages.

Make sure you big up your achievements, they are big into confidence here! the Irish mentality of shying away from taking credit can be seen as a negative quality here! If you did something then don't give credit to anyone else.... it was all you

Don't hide your personality, interviews can be very chatty get to know you and see how you interact/communicate. Generally I have found that if you use your Irish charm you can leave a good impression (obviously don't fit into the party, drink sterotype)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lou9

thanks for all of the advice,much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ted410

lou9 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Lou9,

Just came across your post here now, I'm in the same position as you were 3 years ago except I'm qualified with CPA Ireland. I was hoping to move to Toronto early next year.

What was your experience in moving to Canada as an Irish accountant. I would be hoping to move into Industry in Canada.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement