Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The current status of Irish English

• 11-01-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    with "Irish English" or Hiberno-English I refer to the actual dialect of English spoken in the island of Ireland.
    The dialect has been studied for decades and has a long history, but the latest researches that I know are from the '80s.
    Do you believe that irish english has changed in the last three decades? And if so, how?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Professor Terry Dolan (an expert on this subject) used to make regular appearances on Newstalk up untl a year or two ago. People would ring in and throw all kinds of Hiberno-English words at him, and he would invariably give the true meaning & origin of the word then & there! Here's what Amazon says about his brilliant 2006 book on the subject.

"Drawing on the resources of a recently-established Hiberno-English website hosted by UCD, this new edition of "A Dictionary of Hiberno-English" has been extensively revised and updated. Tom Paulin, "The Guardian" - "Terry Dolan's "A Dictionary of Hiberno-English"...is a pioneering work of scholarship, which ascertains the nature of English as it is spoken and written in Ireland. I see it as one of the foundation stones of a new civic culture in the island." Owen Kelly, "Irish News" - "...Professor Dolan's excellent dictionary, where you find such gems as "hallion" and "at the heel of the hunt" sitting comfortably with the Irish and English origins of much of our speech, is a significant contribution."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dictionary-Hiberno-English-T-P-Dolan/dp/0717140393

51155KHKNML._SL500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

English, as spoken in Ireland, has been changed (and changed utterly) in recent years by US sitcom-speak; X-Factor-speak; twitter-speak; Jedward-speak, etc. I always felt that a generation gap was a good thing but, as I enter my twilight years, I'm dreading the prospect of failing to communicate with my grandchildren or, worse still, becoming aware that they are dumbing down for the oldies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It would be interesting to compare Terry Dolan's and Lis Chistensen's books with the current state of the art which seems to be more influenced by English soap operas and American rappers than by anything vaguely Irish or Hiberno-English (or even Danish). http://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Glossary-Hiberno-English-Lis-Christensen/dp/8778381894/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1358162148&sr=1-3-catcorr

I know, I know, "progress", evolution of a living language, etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Norrsken

Thanks for the contribution!
    I daresay, though, that what you have highlighted is mostly a de-hibernization of irish english, due to the american and english medias, rather than new indigenous forms being born. Am I wrong?
    I guess I should compare dictionaries to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

It's certainly changing.

If you even look at the programme Reeling in the Years, people spoke with more clipped accents a number of decades ago.

With American and English TV shows, people are picking up phrases and pronunciations. A lot of Irish will say things like "I'm done" now instead of "I'm finished"...this is just one example.

My own 2 year old daughter watches Dora the Explorer and other American cartoons and I notice she pronounces certain words with an American twang.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Norrsken wrote: »
    I guess I should compare dictionaries to know more.
    Maybe you should! :rolleyes: :p

Advertisement