Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been given an MCA schedule of visits from GP?

Options
  • 11-01-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I had my ante natal appointment on tuesday gone by and I was told go to my GP to be tested again as they found sugar in my urine and they werent happy with the amount so yesterday (thursday) I went into them and got tested again and there was still sugar there so Im now getting the GTT test done next wednesday gotta spend the morning there. Anyway just as I was leaving I was given a letter saying I only get to be seen on certain weeks and anything outside of them Ill get charged for them, I'v got a medical card and got the letter when I was 8 weeks that I will be covered throughout my pregnancy (I didnt apply for anything it just came in post)
    So I was told to only attend one week before 12 weeks then weeks 24, 30, 34, 37 and 39 and the only other time I went in besides yesterday was a month ago because of hemoroids and at that the meds for it arent covered on medical card when pregnant (even though it happens pregnant women a lot)

The system was all changed in the budget and seems like it was all kept quiet
    Just wondering anyone else gotten this in the last two weeks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I had my ante natal appointment on tuesday gone by and I was told go to my GP to be tested again as they found sugar in my urine and they werent happy with the amount so yesterday (thursday) I went into them and got tested again and there was still sugar there so Im now getting the GTT test done next wednesday gotta spend the morning there. Anyway just as I was leaving I was given a letter saying I only get to be seen on certain weeks and anything outside of them Ill get charged for them, I'v got a medical card and got the letter when I was 8 weeks that I will be covered throughout my pregnancy (I didnt apply for anything it just came in post)
    So I was told to only attend one week before 12 weeks then weeks 24, 30, 34, 37 and 39 and the only other time I went in besides yesterday was a month ago because of hemoroids and at that the meds for it arent covered on medical card when pregnant (even though it happens pregnant women a lot)

The system was all changed in the budget and seems like it was all kept quiet
    Just wondering anyone else gotten this in the last two weeks

I wonder does it depend on the doctor? I went to my GP last week due to severe morning sickness and then this week had my antenatal appointment. He didn't charge me for the appointment due to MS, even though it wasn't a scheduled week for me to be in with him. He just said he'd put it down as an antenatal visit and I wasn't to pay.

Also, my appointment this week was a 17 week appointment - I had my booking in appointment at the hosp at 12 weeks and they said go to your GP in 5 weeks so seems a bit strange you were told only to attend GP from 24 weeks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I know am completely thrown by it I was told attend GP in two weeks (29 weeks PG) and clinic again in 4 weeks (31 weeks) which is like that until the end but now its not covered. Its harsh to say your not covered from week 12-24 I dont understand it. My doctor knows how hard it was for me to get Pregnant and the high risk of miscarriage I have because of medical issues and medical card should cover you for normal appointments when your sick. Its hard to stop yourself been human when pregnant feels like were machines to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I know am completely thrown by it I was told attend GP in two weeks (29 weeks PG) and clinic again in 4 weeks (31 weeks) which is like that until the end but now its not covered. Its harsh to say your not covered from week 12-24 I dont understand it. My doctor knows how hard it was for me to get Pregnant and the high risk of miscarriage I have because of medical issues and medical card should cover you for normal appointments when your sick. Its hard to stop yourself been human when pregnant feels like were machines to them

It sounds very strange- I told my GP I'd be back into him in March sometime and he said to come in whenever to see him if I was worried or anything. Maybe your GP is finding it hard to get the money back from the HSE or something? It's double weird though because you have a medical card.

I know its like the medical card switches off when ya fall pregnant. I was stunned and so was Hubby. Like I'v had problems with stress in the past and hemoroids and now I cant just go in and I cant get the meds I need unless I have the money to buy them, I used to get them on medical card but just not while Pregnant am not in best form over it really last time I couldnt get the meds and Im still suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Its really bizzare that you could get your meds on the medical card before pregnancy but now your preg you can't even tho from what i gather it is a pre-existing condition prior to been pregnant. That seems really wrong to me!

• Advertisement

elly123 wrote: »
    Its really bizzare that you could get your meds on the medical card before pregnancy but now your preg you can't even tho from what i gather it is a pre-existing condition prior to been pregnant. That seems really wrong to me!

Wrong is not the word it's messed up! Don't understand it fair enough if there was steroids in the ones I get but there's not because I was tryin for a baby it wasn't safe and now am pregnant it's not safe but to have to pay is ridiculous there's a reason I have the medical card. And before I got pregnant I had to pay for every blood test 25 each time and I get plenty of them that's hard enough but been told free health care when pregnant then been told you may get charged if it's outside certain weeks I don't get it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Wrong is not the word it's messed up! Don't understand it fair enough if there was steroids in the ones I get but there's not because I was tryin for a baby it wasn't safe and now am pregnant it's not safe but to have to pay is ridiculous there's a reason I have the medical card. And before I got pregnant I had to pay for every blood test 25 each time and I get plenty of them that's hard enough but been told free health care when pregnant then been told you may get charged if it's outside certain weeks I don't get it at all

I would have been under the impression that you would need you med card more as you can be quite susceptible to more illness while pregnant. I dont have a med card, i paid for my first visit with the gp and my flu vaccine, but ive been to him 5 times already all scheduled and im only 30weeks. Im nearly sure (open to correction) with the combined care you're only covered for a certain amount of appts and i kept thinking why is he bringing me back so often but i didnt question him and i sure wont be paying for any additional appts if i go over the limit as he's the one asking me to come back. I do know from a friend that combined appts are pretty much just for your check ups and if you go in between check ups they charge you. I chanced my arm going to the gp on Wed as my legs were really sore and i just handed him my combined card i let him do the regular check ups and then when he was examing me i told him my legs were very sore and he never charged me.

I dont get how medical card doesnt cover all other appointments like its possible for pregnant women to get sick last time I checked. The system really stinks people not on medical card should get the MCA and people with medical card just continue with them I dont get any of it at this stage its kinda backward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Your medical card should still cover you for any illness you have during pregnancy. Check with the medical card central office. The GP probably didn't realise you have a medical card. The law states that you are only entitled to a certain amount of free visits to GP during pregnancy and then others are charged for (obviously at the discretion of the GP, some don't charge, some do). But if you have a medical card you shouldn't have to pay.

January wrote: »
    Your medical card should still cover you for any illness you have during pregnancy. Check with the medical card central office. The GP probably didn't realise you have a medical card. The law states that you are only entitled to a certain amount of free visits to GP during pregnancy and then others are charged for (obviously at the discretion of the GP, some don't charge, some do). But if you have a medical card you shouldn't have to pay.

Oh I fully intend to check it out. Otherwise it's gonna be a long 3 months still to go. She's fully aware that I'm on the medical card though and up until now she's been great but all of a sudden it's stopped and I only go in when I'm in pain and discomfort which I haven't since I was told I'd to pay for the medication while pregnant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sud1

I would imagine the medication that was prescribed was an over the counter preparation which would never be covered if your dr wrote up a prescription for schiproct or any of the prescription only medications for piles it would have been covered regardless of being pregnant or not..as with the set amount of appointments this has always been the way..

combined care scheme explained quote from hse website..

The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician.

The GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 6 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GPa and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation.

If you have a significant illness, e.g. diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP.

Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy, is not covered by the Scheme.

After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

Mothers are entitled to free in-patient and out-patient public hospital services in respect of the pregnancy and the birth and are not liable for any of the standard in-patient hospital charge

I think it is a fair system and it means everyone is being treated equally in relation to their pregnancy regardless of having a medical card or not..just because you have a medical card should not entitle you to extra visits regarding your pregnancy but obviously anything outside of the pregnancy will still be covered under your medical card..

sud1 wrote: »
    I would imagine the medication that was prescribed was an over the counter preparation which would never be covered if your dr wrote up a prescription for schiproct or any of the prescription only medications for piles it would have been covered regardless of being pregnant or not..as with the set amount of appointments this has always been the way..

combined care scheme explained quote from hse website..

The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician.

The GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 6 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GPa and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation.

If you have a significant illness, e.g. diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP.

Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy, is not covered by the Scheme.

After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

Mothers are entitled to free in-patient and out-patient public hospital services in respect of the pregnancy and the birth and are not liable for any of the standard in-patient hospital charge

I think it is a fair system and it means everyone is being treated equally in relation to their pregnancy regardless of having a medical card or not..just because you have a medical card should not entitle you to extra visits regarding your pregnancy but obviously anything outside of the pregnancy will still be covered under your medical card..

I was goin in due to a condition I had before pregnancy and the fact I have medical card and am entitled to the medical card is based on the assumption I can't afford medical treatment and as for what I was prescribed its what I got before because it was safe while tryin for a baby and while been pregnant so why pay now not then it was only 5 months or so in difference and it's been on goin for some time now! With medical card it is there to cover me for been sick and needing to see doctor iv only been once outside the schedule and it's because I needed to I didn't feel I needed to suffer because it didn't fit in with there rules

I'm not sayin I'm entitled to more than others but obviously I was under the assumption I had medical card to cover my visits it was first time it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I really don't think what you have been told is true.

I had an appointment with my GP last week, which was not one of the 'set' combined care appointments and I was covered by my medical card for both the appointment and prescription.

You should still be covered for appointments and prescriptions, going by my experience anyway.

Get it in writing from your GP and either contact the HSE or maybe Citizens INformation can help.

Gonna have to sort something I cant continue on in pain and discomfort for another 3 months
    I'd never heard of this before its all new to me. But I do believe my card should cover non pregnancy appointments its what I got it for

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

Is your Gp private? Maybe he doesn't do medical cards? You should ask does he do medical cards.

My own Gp is private and doesn't do medical cards, plus i don't have a medical card anyway.

I'm going to get the whooping cough vaccine and this has to be paid for whether you're a medical card holder or not because it's not covered by the hse.

Oh there both private and medical card covered been with them since I was 16 as I had medical problems and the male Doctors weren't great with it. I'v never had any issues with them ever and I think 70-80% of there patients are on medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nicky30

Look in to it, might be time to change Gp :(

yea I'v been thinking about changing for awhile now to where my husband is so we can have the one doctor for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Gonna have to sort something I cant continue on in pain and discomfort for another 3 months
    I'd never heard of this before its all new to me. But I do believe my card should cover non pregnancy appointments its what I got it for

You should get in touch with citizens advice in the morning to put your mind at ease. It sounds strange that your non ante natal appointments won't be covered by your medical card.

I have a medical card and have been to my gp for 3 ante natal appointment where she filled in the combined care card. I have also been to see her 3 other times for things relating to the pregnancy. I rarely go to the doctor but feel since becoming pregnant I'm there every onther week. My medical card has covered these visits as it should do. Pregnant or not if you have met the pretty strict requirements to be eligible for a medical card then there should be no problem.

Perhaps it was a generic letter handed to all pregnant patients. Either way try and get some clear answers as soon as you can. Hope you feel better soon...

Strict they are and I need it for a reason otherwise I couldnt afford any health care its not cheap but am gonna check it all out I'v no choice not sure why she gave me the letter but needless to say I was fairly gob smacked she actually said I should stick to the weeks I'm covered. So if Im in discomfort the weeks inbetween then I get to suffer

• Advertisement
Advertisement