Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Ironman Training Plan

Options
  • 11-01-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

I did a search on the forum to see if this topic was already here but didn't see one so thought I'd ask as I plan to do the Skerries Half IM in June.

I don't have a program as of yet and I know there's lots out there so I wanted to ask the experienced boards.ie triathlete's what they recommend, be it online or a book I should buy - having info on both options would be good thou.

One big question I have is, do I need to train by heart rate and if so how often? I've read it's important to do this but not sure how much my training should be incorporated as part of it.

Another big part of this training is that it's not going to be based exactly on a strict training program you guys recommend but around my lifestyle (cycling to work, running at lunchtime which I currently do...) - The benefit of the program is that I know how much I need to be doing each week as that's what I'm not sure about. For example my average week is currently something like this, run 25 miles a week, swim 3km, cycle (only twice in last 2 months which is terrible!) but say for example 150/200km a week. My cycle to work is 24km each way which I plan to do 2/3 times a week with a brick session on the weekend (start with 40/50km cycle and 5km run).

Anyway, feel free to ask me questions and appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

At the moment my plan is to work off Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan, this includes a Half Iron race at Week 22.

The complete plan is 30 Weeks long and aimed at Iron distance, I'm not doing an Iron distance race but figure I can use everything up to the Half Iron race.

To those with more experience, does this seem wise?

To the OP, the FInk plan is very much HR and time based, there are no set distances or paces for workouts and peaks at about 15 hours weekly training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jo3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

keith123 wrote: »
    I don't have a program as of yet and I know there's lots out there so I wanted to ask the experienced boards.ie triathlete's what they recommend, be it online or a book I should buy - having info on both options would be good thou.

I wouldn't see the point in buying a book if you've no intention of following its programme, but it's your decision of course.
    One big question I have is, do I need to train by heart rate and if so how often? I've read it's important to do this but not sure how much my training should be incorporated as part of it.

No, you certainly don't need to.
    And for your cycle specific training, which based on your estimated weekly distance, is essentially just going to be your commutes to and from work, I don't see the point. I wouldn't go so far as to call miles covered while commuting junk miles. But based on a typical 24km commute in Dublin, I can't see how you could hope for any long enough stretch of uninterrupted cycling, which is what training by heart rate is going to require.
    As an aside, I don't know your circumstances, but if at all possible and even if you never buy a HRM, I'd recommend additional cycling sessions on top of these commutes.

Just to tell you my own experience with a HRM; I bought a Garmin 305 a few years back, basically because everyone else was buying one. I'd wear it, but I never really use the heart rate function. I'd look at it from time to time and just go 'hmm, that's interesting', but as for using it as a training tool, that never happened. I never recorded, analysed, or tried to train in any specific zone and the 305 was simply put a waste of money for me.
    (....) my average week is currently something like this, run 25 miles a week, swim 3km, cycle (only twice in last 2 months which is terrible!) but say for example 150/200km a week. My cycle to work is 24km each way which I plan to do 2/3 times a week with a brick session on the weekend (start with 40/50km cycle and 5km run).

How many run sessions is that and how many swim? Just looking at the numbers I'm guessing you plan on devoting more time to running than swimming. Depending on where your strengths lie, this could be a good approach, but I think it would be no harm to swap at least one run session for a swim.

Finally I wouldn't really call that a brick session, more a run off a longish bike. I think these can be beneficial, but in your situation I wouldn't be doing this every week. You could get the same benefits from going for a 5km run once after a cycle home from work.
    I think HIM distance is more about speed than enduarnce and you should be getting your body used to running at planned race pace coming off a race paced effort on the bike. Race pace will be far easier maintain for shorter distances with more reps. My advice would be instead of a 50km cycle followed by a 5km run, do 10km cycle followed by a 1km run 4/5 times. Then mix it around week upon week, 20km bike & 2km x 3, etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

hardCopy wrote: »
    At the moment my plan is to work off Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Intermediate plan, this includes a Half Iron race at Week 22.

The complete plan is 30 Weeks long and aimed at Iron distance, I'm not doing an Iron distance race but figure I can use everything up to the Half Iron race.

To those with more experience, does this seem wise?

I can't be sure if I've more experience than you or not, but to me at least it doesn't seem all that wise. Would you follow a marathon programme for a half marathon, because it includes a half marathon in the build up?

I've only ever done one full iron distance race, but for me a half a full require two entirely different approaches to training. Would it not be wiser to find a training programme that specifically targets a half iron distance race and just follow that?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I agree with zico. I think (depending on the individual) a HIM should have more emphasis on intensity than an IM plan. It is a much shorter race, and the pace can be adjusted accordingly. You wont need the distance of an IM plan (even up to week 22) and you may make better gains from a more race specific plan.

Now, thats not to say that an IM plan to week 22 would not see you do well, but if youve already got a strong base there are better ways to improve.

zico10 wrote: »
    I can't be sure if I've more experience than you or not, but to me at least it doesn't seem all that wise. Would you follow a marathon programme for a half marathon, because it includes a half marathon in the build up?

If you've already gone long you're probably more experienced than me.
    I've only ever done one full iron distance race, but for me a half a full require two entirely different approaches to training. Would it not be wiser to find a training programme that specifically targets a half iron distance race and just follow that?

Yes, it probably would. I've kind of gone back to the drawing board since that post.

I like the structure and the volumes in the Fink plan. I was thinking of adapting it to suit the shorter distance and shorter build up. The IM plan uses 3 10-week phases, by dropping everything after the HIM race I'd lose almost all of the Peak Phase sessions.

I could try to restructure it into 3 7-week phases but I'm not sure I know enough to really do that well.

The Tri-Fuel plan looks like it could work for me and the swim and run sessions would fit fairly well with my club sessions.

I need to make my mind up soon though because I can't decide if I should go for a run or a cycle tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would go swimming if you cant decide on bike or run ;-)

what is your level? if you are an advanced athlete I would agree with what zico says if you are a beginner I would not think that your ironman plan idea is that bad at all. just reduce the long bike rides to max 4 hours and make them a bit intenser.
    yes IM is a different thing to a half yet a lot of beginners dont have the endurance for a half and blow up. it also depends on whats your long term goal, how old are you, whats your sports back ground , how much more can you train outside commuting , questions over questions.
    the less advanced the better lsd training the more advanced the more speed training. the younger you are the more you want to start with speed when starting endurance sports
    the older you are the more you want to start witth Lsd training
    i would think this would be correct for 7 out of 10 people and wrong for the other 3 but it gives you a 2 to 1 chance to pick the right 'system'
    and then of course most people would say you need to train all systems at the same time.

zico makes a lot of good points

good luck as by the sounds of it you will need it

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I wouldn't see the point in buying a book if you've no intention of following its programme, but it's your decision of course.

No, you certainly don't need to.
    And for your cycle specific training, which based on your estimated weekly distance, is essentially just going to be your commutes to and from work, I don't see the point. I wouldn't go so far as to call miles covered while commuting junk miles. But based on a typical 24km commute in Dublin, I can't see how you could hope for any long enough stretch of uninterrupted cycling, which is what training by heart rate is going to require.
    As an aside, I don't know your circumstances, but if at all possible and even if you never buy a HRM, I'd recommend additional cycling sessions on top of these commutes.

Just to tell you my own experience with a HRM; I bought a Garmin 305 a few years back, basically because everyone else was buying one. I'd wear it, but I never really use the heart rate function. I'd look at it from time to time and just go 'hmm, that's interesting', but as for using it as a training tool, that never happened. I never recorded, analysed, or tried to train in any specific zone and the 305 was simply put a waste of money for me.

I actually just got a 910XT :) I love stats and I know the danger of this as I'll want every session to be good which it isn't. I'll be going by how my body feels and making notes of every session in Garmin connect for reference. I think it'll help me understand whats good/not good between disciplines be it previous sessions distances or effort.
    How many run sessions is that and how many swim? Just looking at the numbers I'm guessing you plan on devoting more time to running than swimming. Depending on where your strengths lie, this could be a good approach, but I think it would be no harm to swap at least one run session for a swim.

I'd run 3 times a week (2 x 6 miles at lunchtime and 10/12 mile weekend)
    I dont want to run too much miles wise as I have a hip problem I'm carrying - got a labral tear so I run once a week on the road and twice on grass/trail.
    This'll change when I get progressively more into the program as I know I'll need more road miles. Running is my strength, I was only 2 weeks from 2009 DCM when my hip problem hit hard and had to pull out. Was going for 3h 15m.
    Nowhere near that now as I was out for 2 years but it's taken till now just to get back to running 8 min miles comfortably. The swim sessions I'm relatively new at I just swim 1km at a time but last night for example I just did 750m in 16mins and did some drills after as I do need to focus on technique.

Finally I wouldn't really call that a brick session, more a run off a longish bike. I think these can be beneficial, but in your situation I wouldn't be doing this every week. You could get the same benefits from going for a 5km run once after a cycle home from work.
    I think HIM distance is more about speed than endurance and you should be getting your body used to running at planned race pace coming off a race paced effort on the bike. Race pace will be far easier maintain for shorter distances with more reps. My advice would be instead of a 50km cycle followed by a 5km run, do 10km cycle followed by a 1km run 4/5 times. Then mix it around week upon week, 20km bike & 2km x 3, etc., etc.

That last bit of advice sounds brilliant I've never heard of that before but I'll definitely be giving it a go! I will need to do a big 4/5 hour cycle on the weekends which will I'll get to in the coming weeks. Really appreciate your feedback thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I actually just got a 910XT :) I love stats and I know the danger of this as I'll want every session to be good which it isn't. I'll be going by how my body feels and making notes of every session in Garmin connect for reference. I think it'll help me understand whats good/not good between disciplines be it previous sessions distances or effort.

Some could argue that your dataset will not be large enough for valid comparisions.
    I'd run 3 times a week (2 x 6 miles at lunchtime and 10/12 mile weekend)
    Personally I would have said this was light for any distance
    I dont want to run too much miles wise as I have a hip problem I'm carrying - got a labia tear so I run once a week on the road and twice on grass/trail.

Ouchy. :)
    This'll change when I get progressively more into the program as I know I'll need more road miles. Running is my strength, I was only 2 weeks from 2009 DCM when my hip problem hit hard and had to pull out. Was going for 3h 15m.

This is what you were going for but what have you done at 5km, 10km and half distanecs
    Nowhere near that now as I was out for 2 years but it's taken till now just to get back to running 8 min miles comfortably.

In that cause is running really your strength??

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Some could argue that your dataset will not be large enough for valid comparisions.

Sorry this is just base ground training of around 6Hrs a week to start with I'll be gradually increasing it when I get to follow a plan.
    This is what you were going for but what have you done at 5km, 10km and half distances

Rough guesses here but right now:
    5km 21min 10km 44min half 1Hr 40min
    In that cause is running really your strength??

Good question, I'm probably wrapping myself in wool too much with the running, as 25 miles is a bit low but I'm hoping the Bike and Swim training will help the running along as the weeks progress. I'm just trying not to aggravate the hip too much really.

In my own case I'm coming from a 3:52 Marathon in October, 6:22 HIM in July, 3 Half Marathons between 1:42 and 1:45.

The HIM was disappointing:
    S: 39:51
    B: 3:09
    R: 2:27

I felt strong coming off the bike and should have been comfortably under 2 hours for the run but a sprained nut after 2km had me hobbling for most of it.

My training last year had basically no structure to it so I'm trying to make sure I do things right this year, have joined a tri club and am swimming twice a week with the club. So far this year I've been getting out a couple of times mid week for short runs and a longer one at the weekend, cycling once mid week with another long one at the weekend. Distances have been relatively short as the Fink plan is all Z1/Z2 stuff so it's hard to cover much ground at that level in an hour.

I have no shower in work and only get 45 minutes for lunch so cycle commuting and lunchtime runs are pretty much out.

In my own case I'm coming from a 3:52 Marathon in October, 6:22 HIM in July, 3 Half Marathons between 1:42 and 1:45.

The HIM was disappointing:
    S: 39:51
    B: 3:09
    R: 2:27

That's a good swim time! Good time for bike as well, the run time looks like you walked it thou, pitty about the injury.
    I felt strong coming off the bike and should have been comfortably under 2 hours for the run but a sprained nut after 2km had me hobbling for most of it.

How can you sprain your nut! ?? Or is this a metaphor for something else :)
    My training last year had basically no structure to it so I'm trying to make sure I do things right this year, have joined a tri club and am swimming twice a week with the club. So far this year I've been getting out a couple of times mid week for short runs and a longer one at the weekend, cycling once mid week with another long one at the weekend. Distances have been relatively short as the Fink plan is all Z1/Z2 stuff so it's hard to cover much ground at that level in an hour.

Yeah I don't like that in the Fink plan I'm just going to train around my lifestyle tbh but build up from 6 hours to 12 hours (no life!) to peak 3/4 weeks before race.
    I have no shower in work and only get 45 minutes for lunch so cycle commuting and lunchtime runs are pretty much out.

We don't have showers either but that doesn't stop me! :eek:
    When I cycle in I leave spare clothes in work along with towel and baby wipes to wash with - plus Lynx spray for all the girls :D
    Krusty Clown who I occasionally run with does the same so I'm not alone and I'm sure others out there. I think Krusty takes a shower before he runs\cycles in to work probably for physiological reasons ;)

30 min run at lunch could get you 4/5 miles in so don't rule it out.

How can you sprain your nut! ?? Or is this a metaphor for something else :)

We don't have showers either but that doesn't stop me! :eek:
    When I cycle in I leave spare clothes in work along with towel and baby wipes to wash with - plus Lynx spray for all the girls :D
    Krusty Clown who I occasionally run with does the same so I'm not alone and I'm sure others out there. I think Krusty takes a shower before he runs\cycles in to work probably for physiological reasons ;)

30 min run at lunch could get you 4/5 miles in so don't rule it out.

I wish it was a euphemism! Never run long distances in baggy shorts. I injured it in training and it flared up on the day.

I did commute a bit last year but it can be a pain if I have to go out on sales calls that day, means leaving the car in work the night before as well. I'm switching gyms soon to a place across the road so will be able to shower there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭frazzledazzle

just looking at the thread here ......... very interesting - I've done a few HIM's as with job / kids its as far as I can go distance wise ........... and I am not sure the body would allow a full distance.

Training plans are all well and good as long as you can apply yourself to all the technical stuff around Heart Rate Zones / Pace blaaa blaaaaa - I personally use a Garmin 310 and keep the HRM in the drawer and train on feel with odd look at pace.

Biggest question you need ask yourself - what have I time to do and what will be quality as junk is junk ..........

My own training (for what its worth - I am in my forties) is (was) very hit and miss but I always get a long bike in at the weekends either TT or in a group for 2 / 3 hours, a long open swim once the rivers / lakes / sea warm up (pool in winter, I hate drills and just swim) and a longish run - never more than 1.5 hours ........... in between that I might get 1 or 2 bikes to work (varying distance up 65km round trip) which were hard and flat out on a certain very busy road linking Naas to Dublin or the hilly side roads that run adjacent and another swim ........... either way I liked to get 5 days training a week (work / kids / wife allowing)

If you are racing in June - get into sea as soon as you can for Skerries as sea swimming is unlike nothing else when there is even a small chop on the water so you need to be prepared as if you dont get out of the water the race is over .......

Lastly dont become a slave to the training as you will resent it ....... also it seems half the country has done one of these so everyone has an opinion - do whats best for you and good luck with it all !

Thanks for your post gives me a bit of confidence as I continue the training.

With January out of the way I haven't done any Cycling really - only 77 miles because of the weather - I actually ran more miles! (95 miles to be exact) and swam a total of 6.8km in the pool. February looks bad thou as I've a hamstring tear or strain not sure which - did it in the John Tracey 10 miler race during the last half mile :( That's nearly 10 days now and doing Yoga on Monday made the pain worse the next day but I'm thinking it's a good thing - why? During my footballer days I had this hamstring injury recur alot so I think the Yoga caused the surrounding scar-tissue to release itself which will help me get to work on strengthening the hamstring properly to develop the scar tissue to work like a muscle.
    Got info on this here from a premier league physio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BjlA8xIgWI

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be ok in a couple more weeks - might miss the Naas Duathlon or maybe just jog round for the experience if I'm ok.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks for your post gives me a bit of confidence as I continue the training.

With January out of the way I haven't done any Cycling really - only 77 miles because of the weather - I actually ran more miles! (95 miles to be exact) and swam a total of 6.8km in the pool. February looks bad thou as I've a hamstring tear or strain not sure which - did it in the John Tracey 10 miler race during the last half mile :( That's nearly 10 days now and doing Yoga on Monday made the pain worse the next day but I'm thinking it's a good thing - why? During my footballer days I had this hamstring injury recur alot so I think the Yoga caused the surrounding scar-tissue to release itself which will help me get to work on strengthening the hamstring properly to develop the scar tissue to work like a muscle.
    Got info on this here from a premier league physio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BjlA8xIgWI

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be ok in a couple more weeks - might miss the Naas Duathlon or maybe just jog round for the experience if I'm ok.
    If you havent actually visited a sports physio, I recommend you do. Dont self diagnose.

Another good investment for a plan like this is a turbo trainer. It gets around your weather and time issues when it comes to cycling.

Was going to mention the dreaded turbo - do it in a group if you are in a club provising they do turbo sessions, makes for a much easier session rather than staring at the wall or TV .............

Agree 100% about the physio - I'm in the Naas Tri club, this guy is an ex-member of Naas and very good and honest - he wants you back to fitness and doesnt insist you keep coming back like alot of physio's out there, he is based in Lucan if thats any good to you ............. www.romphysicaltherapy.ie (Andy Tully)

Dont do that duathlon if the hammer is at you .................... send a mail into the race director (Ed Byrne) and he will probably get you a transfer to March if you ask nicely or PM me and I'll and try and sort it. ...............

Thanks guys! Yeah a Turbo would be good but dont have one plus they look expensive - I only just bought a Garmin Forerunner 910XT so need to wait a bit I reckon. I'll certainly look at a Physio for sure if I don't see any improvement in the next couple of days; I'm always self diagnosing! Lucan too far away but I do have Physio's I've been to in the past.

I was actually thinking of mailing Ed about a transfer to March - that would be great alright but I want to give this another week before I decide. I might call upon you as you've suggested ;)

I'm in the 3 Rock Tri club with Eamonn Tilley who was the race director at your first Duathlon so you probably know him as most people do in the Triathlon domain in Ireland.

Sure everyone knows Eamonn Tilley ....... he would have been the Triathlon Ireland Referee, let me know how you get on and PM me if you need to be bumped into March ..........

• Advertisement

Chicken balls - could respond to your message - but mail sent to Ed B .... shouldnt be an issue !

Advertisement