Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable Transfers...

Options
  • 11-01-2013 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I have often seen some weird transfers on the market and wondered to myself "why is this person buying this player, and why for so much??"...

Now, I'm not talking about what I may perceive as poor judgement..I'm sure at one stage or another we've all suckered someone into overpaying on a crap player :pac: (or in my case, I've been that sucker a couple of times!!)

But I'm talking about a 37 year old player with 0 csr being bought for 10k or something like that....I've seen that a few times and wondered why. One reason I thought was if you wanted players with extremely low wages in your squad, so that you can rest more players on WNWIM matches or something, and thought, why don't they either promote a crap academy player or just buy a crap player for $1 instead of $10,000....

But then today I just happened across a teams transfer history, for no other reason than I was just curious about the spending power of better teams, do they have to shell out a sh*t load of money to get good, or do they trade their way up and break even or do they get such good players home grown, when I came across a teams transfer history that was mildly shocking to me...

Allow me to elaborate...

In recent transfers, they have sold:

4 players, all on the same day, sold to the same club, with CSR's ranging from 120 to 380 (as in one hundred and twenty...not thousand, just one hundred and twenty CSR) all sold to the same club, all sold for $10,000 each. Roughly $1,000 per CSR point per player.

I dug deeper and found some fairly reasonable transfers, followed by more "strange" ones...

This times, 3 players, again, all sold on the same day to the same club (but a different club to the one last time). CSR's ranging from 87 (!!) to 1,500 ..... get this, each player sold for $105,000 EACH!!

These seem to be the only two blatant examples in transfer history (both relatively recent) of something not adding up...am I correct in saying that this would seem to be creative accounting on a Bertie Ahern scale? And if so, should I report it?

Maybe there's a reasonable explanation for it that a newb like me can't fathom??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

id report jackass if i were you sounds fishy, now i know of farm teams that bring in guys of low csr and hence low salary and have only three trainees so that when they do want to play normal they go all out and spent because theyll have stockpiled aload of moneys.

but what you have described is totally fishy are the two teams that bought the players still around or have they gone bot? and if there still around are they active and buying from other people the first one may be just a farm team as they spent low but the 2nd is def fishy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

That's the weird part. They're not defunct teams and seem quite successful in their own right. It's almost as if these transfers are made because of match fixing or gambling or something!! :pac: Very strange. I gave a nod to one of the moderator type people to take a look at anyway. Will let you know what they say!

(don't mean to be a taddle tail, but without too much detail, if it is cheating, it affects my team sort of ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

the game is full of this...its really annoying that people play it straight and some people cheat (and get away with it)

the other thing thats really annoying is the not being able to bid on players because of using similar IP addresses (big problem if u connect with your mobile phone).

daheff wrote: »
    the other thing thats really annoying is the not being able to bid on players because of using similar IP addresses (big problem if u connect with your mobile phone).
    agreed iv somehow been stopped bidding on a few players even tho the owners arent even from ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The low CSR players aren't somehow legendary to some extent? They're not former International players or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I had a guy spend a bomb on a player as he said it was his actual name in real life. I got a PM asking for him to be sold... I was skeptical, but the team had been in existance for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    I had a guy spend a bomb on a player as he said it was his actual name in real life. I got a PM asking for him to be sold... I was skeptical, but the team had been in existance for a while.

Something similar happened to me. Lad had a team with players all of the same surname. Said he was willing to pay whatever for my player!

corny wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me. Lad had a team with players all of the same surname. Said he was willing to pay whatever for my player!

Gotta love that. People get their enjoyment from the game in many ways. Nowadays he could just buy name change tickets and change all their names...not as much fun though.

might start doing this with my affiliate. pick 3 surnames and go with that

Gotta love that. People get their enjoyment from the game in many ways. Nowadays he could just buy name change tickets and change all their names...not as much fun though.

might start doing this with my affiliate. pick 3 surnames and go with that

A super family team? Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Not sure if this is cheating or if there is a reasonable explanation but I noticed a team had transfered a few players to his own team name back in 2009.How is this possible?The team the player has now was named in 2010,all a bit strange.

Was he up to no good or is there a reasonable explanation?

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is cheating or if there is a reasonable explanation but I noticed a team had transfered a few players to his own team name back in 2009.How is this possible?The team the player has now was named in 2010,all a bit strange.

Was he up to no good or is there a reasonable explanation?

as in his affiliate transfered to his main before affiliates came in?

You could have rumbled something there alright. Might be worth raising the issue.

Not sure what staff BR have or how good their detection methods are for this stuff, but I doubt they've enough time to track down stuff that isn't auto-flagged through an identical IP.

seanand wrote: »
    as in his affiliate transfered to his main before affiliates came in?

Just noticed they are bought and sold back on the same date.Inclined to think there is no cheating now but still very strange.Maybe it could happen in the game back then?

This is how it looks in the history.I changed the names and dates,details etc.

1 SEP 2009, 2:20pm
    Purchased J Bloggs from Team X for $20,000.
    1 SEP2009, 2:20pm
    Sold J Bloggs to Team X for $20,000.

This is how it looks in the players history:

Transferred from Team X to Team X for $20,000.

Just noticed they are bought and sold back on the same date.Inclined to think there is no cheating now but still very strange.Maybe it could happen in the game back then?

This is how it looks in the history.I changed the names and dates,details etc.

1 SEP 2009, 2:20pm
    Purchased J Bloggs from Team X for $20,000.
    1 SEP2009, 2:20pm
    Sold J Bloggs to Team X for $20,000.

This is how it looks in the players history:

Transferred from Team X to Team X for $20,000.

Odd. Though you can bid on your own player (or at least you could.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Ninja smiley required;) Anyone want to provide details and I'll pass it on

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Odd. Though you can bid on your own player (or at least you could.)

this is probably what it is. Before you could put somebody up for sale, but you couldnt cancel the listing (like you can now- to an extent), so if you changed your mind you could bid on your own player to keep him -only cost was the tax involved.....i think i did it once or twice.

wasnt breaking any rules then..it was more of a workaround a problem

this is probably what it is. Before you could put somebody up for sale, but you couldnt cancel the listing (like you can now- to an extent), so if you changed your mind you could bid on your own player to keep him -only cost was the tax involved.....i think i did it once or twice.

wasnt breaking any rules then..it was more of a workaround a problem

Suppose the only thing is if another manager started bidding against the original owner and ended up getting the player at a cost far more than he originally would have,seems like a loophole that could have been open to abuse and probably was.This manager bought a player back for over 80 grand,maybe he was trying to drive up the price of that player and ended up getting stuck with him?

Suppose the only thing is if another manager started bidding against the original owner and ended up getting the player at a cost far more than he originally would have,seems like a loophole that could have been open to abuse and probably was.This manager bought a player back for over 80 grand,maybe he was trying to drive up the price of that player and ended up getting stuck with him?

yep thats one of the reasons that they got rid of it (as far as my memory goes)!

Yeah, that happened a fair bit. Think I may even have been guilty of it myself once (when I noticed a jerk of a manager was in a bidding war for one of my guys.)
    Makes perfect sense to remove it, far too cheap and easy to abuse.

Something odd here, but is it worth reporting?

brodiechambersbidhist.jpg

Jump of about 200k seems a bit... unusual. Hmmm...

• Advertisement

It's possible that he wasn't able to get back to the computer and he wanted to make a resonable bid on the player before he logged out.Is he premium?,if not that is probably what happened.

fewi i see it all the time theres a lot of special people out there. but then theres also a few who cant get on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Something odd here, but is it worth reporting?

brodiechambersbidhist.jpg

Jump of about 200k seems a bit... unusual. Player was worth it, but you'd have to be an idiot or a cheat to up the bidding that much. Hmmm...

Not trying to be funny or rude Fewi but if the player was worth it and you bid more why is he an idiot or a cheat?

He mightn't have been around for the deadline so put in a bid he thought might win. He was only 10,000 out in fairness.

corny wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny or rude Fewi but if the player was worth it and you bid more why is he an idiot or a cheat?

He mightn't have been around for the deadline so put in a bid he thought might win. He was only 10,000 out in fairness.

Ah I guess it's somewhat reasonable if he couldn't get on. I was looking at it too much from the aul "always connected" viewpoint.

Though I still wonder at the logic. If you bid 250,000 then it only takes 251,000 to top you, especially when you're leaving it a good twelve hours.

That wasn't the end of the bidding I screen grabbed, it was just when I logged in and noticed the jump. It went up a fair bit more. It's not really the amount he paid that got me wondering, just the fact that he threw it all down at once. He's nearly guaranteed to accomplish nothing but raising the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Just going to edit out the team name as they've been cleared.

Now, as I said, he was transferring players with 1 or 2k CSR for massive amounts of money and had made about 500k on these kind of transfers over the seasons.

The dispute was ruled as a non-issue, interestingly though, it was mentioned that one of the teams involved was a mods team, but I didn't buy it, I was just so convinved, and in the mean time, the edit manager had sent me some abusive messages, and he also played a virtually 0 CSR team against fellow relegation fighters in my league, eventually causing me to be relegated. (well, actually by losing my game on the last day, I would have been relegated anyway, but he threw a match to get me relegated that didn't matter in the end).

So I decided to escolate it, and basically they came back and said the reason 1 or 2k CSR players were transferring for over 100k each and bought by same club etc., was that these players are worth loads as their wages are low and they'll never get better....I didn't bother pointing out that the teams who bought them had 25 to 30+ players in their squads, so are just increasing their wage bill, not cutting it, as they're not keeping minimum squad size, and since being relegated, I've kept an eye out for virtually zero CSR players and just bought one for 2k as I am keeping minimum squad size and selling / firing subs and replacing with crap academy players to keep wage bill down.

So I don't buy it, it doesn't make sense to me, and I suspect something more was going on (match fixing or "unoficial" competition winnings or something), but for what ever reason, it was completely dismissed, but is definitely something wrong about it, so that is how it was resolved. :(

Moral of the story, don't bother reporting it, because the mods are either in on it or dont care, and the team potentially cheating can concievably screw you over and mods dont care about that either, and called it "banter"....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

The lads are usually on the ball when it comes to abuse reports, unfortunately if there is no way to link clubs then it is impossible to do anything. In this case yes zero csr players are worth a lot of money but as you claim they were being bought on top of an already big squad of 0 csr players.

I guess as Phonehead says, if you can't prove a link then there's nothing to act on. You can't really punish people for being "bad at the game" (which in hindsight is what made me jump to conclusions above.) Even if they are bending the rules, once they don't break them then I don't see there's much for the mods to do in hindsight. Not that I agree with such shenanigans.

You should report the abusive messages though, that won't be tolerated.

Ok, so, while wearing my mod hat and wondering about the wisdom of naming the team above, I ended up digging in a bit more...

I'm gonna use stand in names. Ok, so team in question is Team A. Team A sold these zero CSR players to two teams, Team B and C.

Team A sold four players to Team B at exactly the same time on the same day and for the exact amount of money.

Team B has been in Div VI (never knew divs went so low) and the most they have achieved over 10 seasons is silver in Div IV.
    Team B has a 30 player squad. 17 players are below 1,000 CSR.
    Of 267 transfers, 86 have been players below 10k CSR. The very low CSR purchasing has been more of a recent thing.
    There are two players under 30 (26,29) and all the rest are old.
    Despite having a team that must include at least one near-zero CSR player, the team also includes 5 players over 100k and two players over 200k.

An interesting Team D emerges. Team D is an affiliate club. They've bought 21 players and sold one. All players bought have been below 10k, with the majority below 5k. Why is Team D related to Team B: D bought 5 players off B. The first time two players were bought within minutes of each other, both for 15,000. The second time was the same, but for 9,001. D also bought another zero CSR player from B and paid 12,001. D has 23 players, the highest CSR being 11,236.

Then I stumbled upon Team E, who look to be a pretty well-established team in Brazil at first glance. Plenty of trophies. E bought 39 players in a row, every single one of them was under 6k CSR. They appeared on my radar because they bought five players (four in a row) from Team B. E has similar buy patterns with a number of clubs. Looks like certain clubs will have a number of poor players up for sale, and E will swoop in and buy them all in one go. Team E has 23 players. Only 3 of them are above 2k CSR.

Let's go back to our original Team A and then on to Team C. Team C bought three players from A at the exact same time, spending over 100k for each player. All of these players were near-zero CSR. Team C has 24 players. Three of these are national team players, one up over 400k CSR. The other 21 players are all salary savers, with CSR peaking at 6k and going down.

To boil it down...

Team A - Indulges in the buying and selling of low CSR players. Runs a tight ship and has 5 salary savers, running a functioning squad of 19 players. Looks like a really solid lean team system.
    Team B - Makes no sense to me. Bought from Team A at what I assume the asking price was.
    Team C - Clearly a feeder team for a national squad. No other purpose other than to train the 3 NT teams. Only thing I question is why pay over 100k for each of the low CSR players from A? From looking in to this, there are plenty of low CSR players about and few are sold for that much, never mind three.
    Team D - Throws up serious questions about Team B and a few others. There's no reason this team has bought in such players, unless they're just sitting there and farming coin.
    Team E - Oddness can be explained by a firesale. Team moved from Spain, had issues and sold all their top players in April of 2012. Current balance stands at 21mil from sales, while only spending 8mil. Looks like they're planning on a major bit of restructuring.

So, to be honest, I think Team A are in the clear as the BR gods decreed. Shady dealings going on elsewhere, but, I don't think it's their fault.

Advertisement