Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving licence query

Options
  • 11-01-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Simple one. If I get an Ozzie licence do they take my Irish one off me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

res ipsa wrote: »
    Simple one. If I get an Ozzie licence do they take my Irish one off me? Thanks.
    Nope, least not in WA, they take copy of Irish licence then check Ireland to see it's legit, check your visa status and do an eye test, before issuing Aussie one. All up took me about 4 days start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Victoria is same as d.pop described for WA. In my case they never asked for visa though and I got a 10 year licence straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Whats the story with getting a NSW licence? Does it cost much and is the procedure the same as described above?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

NSW costs around $50/$55

You show your Irish License but they don't take it off you.

The whole process was quite simple.
    Unlike in Ireland you don't need to undertake a separate eye examination or bring in photographs. They do a simple eye test on you by asking you to read a chart a distance away from right at the counter. They also take your photo by sitting in a special seat which is next to the counter also.

In and out in around 40 minutes with my NSW driving license.
    If you are on a WHV your license will only be valid for 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

[QUOTE=poodles;82639967
    If you are on a WHV your license will only be valid for 1 year.[/QUOTE]

What about your 2nd year whv:confused:, i thought once your on a whv you dont need to change over to an australian licence, or is it different in each state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

bladebrew wrote: »
    What about your 2nd year whv:confused:, i thought once your on a whv you dont need to change over to an australian licence, or is it different in each state?

Well I was actually on my WHV when I applied for my license.
    You get a license but it is only valid for 1 year from date of issue due to the fact that you are only a temporary resident.

The rule in NSW is that you have to be living in Australia for at least 6 continuous months before you can apply for an Australian license. If you leave the country at all for any period inside the 6 months then you will have to wait 6 months from the day you re-enter Australia before you can apply. This might be different in different states - I'm not sure.

As regards whether it is required by law that you have to obtain an Australian license after the 6 month period I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

bladebrew wrote: »

You don't need to change at all once on a temp visa, but some people prefer it. Handy for ID etc, you still get points etc on Irish licence
    if you read the sticky the links for all the states are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

hussey wrote: »
    Handy for ID etc

Agreed, many licensed establishments won't accept an irish drivers license as a valid form of ID. I've gone back and discussed it with the manager the next day in one of them. He said its at the discretion of the security etc. blah blah.

Its much easier with an Oz dirvers license as pretty much everywhere accepts it without any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

many licensed establishments won't accept an irish drivers license as a valid form of ID.

Most likely due to the fact that its too easy to forge. The paper licence tends to be somewhat laughable anyway especially the likes of mine which wouldnt be in the best of shape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The QLD one that I have is pretty ordinary too, its one of the old laminated ones and not the newer printed on plastic versions. I reckon it would be even easier to forge as there are no watermarks or security strips of any sort on it.
    I don't even know where my Irish license is anymore. I'm pretty sure its out of date and has been through the wash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

hussey wrote: »
    You don't need to change at all once on a temp visa, but some people prefer it. Handy for ID etc, you still get points etc on Irish licence
    if you read the sticky the links for all the states are there.

Hi Hussy,
    I am unable to find the sticky about the driving license but you might be able to help me, I know you say you don't need to change your Irish license to WA license if you are on a temp visa. does this also apply to 457 as it is a temporary resident visa? I spoke to someone in the transport office and they said I can stay on my irish one until I am a resident but a lot of people say I should have changed over to a WA one a long time ago so im slightly confused and worried now... I am however still using my irish license..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

niva*sis wrote: »
    Hi Hussy,
    I am unable to find the sticky about the driving license but you might be able to help me, I know you say you don't need to change your Irish license to WA license if you are on a temp visa. does this also apply to 457 as it is a temporary resident visa? I spoke to someone in the transport office and they said I can stay on my irish one until I am a resident but a lot of people say I should have changed over to a WA one a long time ago so im slightly confused and worried now... I am however still using my irish license..

No requirement to change your licence on a temporary visa, only PR visa you are required to change after 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As said, for NSW you have to be in Aus 6 months. Go in, apply, show your old licence and wait to get the new one after an eye test and your photo being taken.

You'll only get a 1 year licence as you aren't permanent here. For your 2nd WHV you just renew it with the RTA. They punch a hole through your old licence to show its out of date. The old licence can still be used for ID purposes too.

My 3rd 1 year licence is due for renewal this November. I've been granted my 820 visa and waiting on my 801 to come through so I should be able to present paperwork saying I'm more permanent and get a 3 year or 5 year licence if I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Agreed, many licensed establishments won't accept an irish drivers license as a valid form of ID. I've gone back and discussed it with the manager the next day in one of them. He said its at the discretion of the security etc. blah blah.

Its much easier with an Oz dirvers license as pretty much everywhere accepts it without any issue

I have never had a issue with my irish one yet, although it is a new plastic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

They didn't take my shaggy pink slip off me in SA. I pretty much got a WTF look before they took a copy and handed it back.. :cool:

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/interstate-and-international-motorists/driving-with-an-overseas-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I changed my drivers license over right away despite it being unnecessary but I'm glad I did as it proves to be a really useful piece of ID for the Post Office, Bar Entry, Domestic Flights etc.

Plus I can leave my passport safetly at home the whole time.

Advertisement