Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music venue

Options
  • 10-01-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all,
    anyone know of a city centre place suitable for a small music venue, attached to a bar or hotel?

I'm NOT looking for an existing venue like Monroes, Roisin Dubh etc. This is for a new monthly folk/blues/jazz gig, and the emphasis is on comfort, and a warm inviting atmosphere. No community halls need apply!!

I'd be greatful for your suggestions, thanks :)

g
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Richardson's upstairs or downstairs.
    Western Hotel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

De Burgos and Busker Browns has a place upstairs if memory serves me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

I think Arus Na nGael might be suitable for what you want but it would depend on how many people you would want to accomodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's an older crowd maybe Bunch of Grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

try salt house they sometimes have weekend jazz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

you could try the cottage in salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

sorry just re read thread to see you are looking for venue in town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

godfrey wrote: »
    Hi all,
    anyone know of a city centre place suitable for a small music venue, attached to a bar or hotel?

I'm NOT looking for an existing venue like Monroes, Roisin Dubh etc. This is for a new monthly folk/blues/jazz gig, and the emphasis is on comfort, and a warm inviting atmosphere. No community halls need apply!!

I'd be greatful for your suggestions, thanks :)

g

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'existing venue' - do you mean music 7 nights a week? Most of the suggestions above have regular scheduled music (on one or 2 nights a week anyway).
    Aras is great for music but I wouldn't call the main space either warm or inviting! It's better suited for dancing. You could maybe try The House Hotel, or De Brúns bar (don't know much about the latter but it's cozy)
    Best of luck with it, maybe put a post up in musicians too when you get a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Stay away from richardsons!! Ver bad place for music. Friend of mine had gig there. Freezing cold. Uncomfortable

ArtyC wrote: »
    Stay away from richardsons!! Ver bad place for music. Friend of mine had gig there. Freezing cold. Uncomfortable

Do you say it was bad just because of the temperature?

To be fair, a couple of the places mentioned are pretty cold venues, even one that has a fire. I picked up on the 'cosy' requirement too. OP you might be best off going with one of the suggestions that is already known for music (just not 7 nights a week) and asking for a monthly residence there. Is this going to be a free gig for punters? Are you having professional musicians, or just people jamming for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

You could always try the Rowing Club in woodquay they are after renovating the clubhouse and have a nice warm and cosy area to sit and enjoy music, plus there is a bar there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

inisboffin wrote: »

To be fair, a couple of the places mentioned are pretty cold venues, even one that has a fire. I picked up on the 'cosy' requirement too. OP you might be best off going with one of the suggestions that is already known for music (just not 7 nights a week) and asking for a monthly residence there. Is this going to be a free gig for punters? Are you having professional musicians, or just people jamming for free?

No the rads were freezing cold. They had paid to use the room. The least they could have done was heat them up a bit. Management were quite Rude and threw a strop about erecting the stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Aras Na Gael is fantastic, so great. Upstairs in Kelly's is also nice, I find. Not exactly sure if that is what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

You could also try the function room at the top of the stairs in the King's Head - I think they call it the Ruby Room. Only trouble is the noise spill from bands downstairs, so you'd want to pick your times carefully - might be better for an early evening session.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,827 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »

Well in winter time, it is definitely bad because of the temperature. That's an observable fact, and I was going to post the same.

I also feel that it's grotty, rather than welcoming. Less measurable, agreed, but a statement of my feelings so not libellous. As a new-to-Galway tourist, it's the only pub that I every walked out of because a random stranger in there was just so rude.

You can also observe the types of groups that typically have meetings / events there - again, this is observable: they tend to be politically left-leaning (to say the least).

Other reasons for staying away would be more subjective. Nuff said.

OP Why don't you want an established venue, ie what features of them are you trying to avoid? Knowing this might help us suggest something suitable. Most pubs in town would be suitable - the question is whether they are open to having music-gatherings there or not. The ones that don't currently have any music probably aren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Downstairs in the Cellar could be a possibility

Pure Sound wrote: »
    Downstairs in the Cellar could be a possibility

+1 forgot about that.

OP I'd second Mrs O'Bs query about what your needs are. A lot of the comfy spots might want to keep it mellow, and the spots that have free nights can be a little less cosy so to speak. You also mention Jazz/Blues/Folk - there's a lot of different directions in there :) so maybe you can give a bit more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

ArtyC wrote: »

herehere! place is a fookin dive

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

You can also observe the types of groups that typically have meetings / events there - again, this is observable: they tend to be politically left-leaning (to say the least).

Like Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Christie Moore, Andy Irvine and many other folky types then? I wouldn't be a fan of the place myself, but I don't really see the relevance of politics in the choice of music venue - if anything, there is more of a left-wing tradition in the genres the OP mentioned than the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Cheers OP. Galway could really do with a night like this. If you need a blues, folk, jazz dj, i've done a bit on Flirt FM.

My two cents:

De Burgos Club - Very atmospheric...My top choice.
    Padraigs Place down by the Docks would be a good choice too. They have some great live folk there on weekends.
    The Crane - Bit out of town but a real music pub.
    Arus Na nGael - Trad pub & world music beats in the back room on Fridays. Not a bad option.
    Richardsons - Trad pub frequented by the older folk. Scruffy & authentic.

The House Hotel - Good for dress-up nights out & the like but I feel too bright & clean for a folk music venue.
    Ditto 'Busker Browns' Not your folk music fan here.
    Upstairs in Kellys & the Kings Head- Like Munroes, for the more mainstream sounds.
    The Cellar downstairs- Might be ok for a roots music night. I usually hear of coverbands playing there though so not sure if the management would be up for the Blues.

I recommend having a walk around the venues during the day with a quick word to the bar staff about the idea. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Thanks everone for your input. I will be visiting a few of those places in the next week or so.

I don't want to be much more specific, other than to say it will be a ticketed event, in the 'listening room' style. Not stuffy, but definitely aimed to please discerning music fans rather than the Friday night covers band people...

Keep it coming if you have any more suggestions.

Thanks again ~

g

Cheers OP. Galway could really do with a night like this. If you need a blues, folk, jazz dj, i've done a bit on Flirt FM.

My two cents:

The Cellar downstairs- Might be ok for a roots music night. I usually hear of coverbands playing there though so not sure if the management would be up for the Blues.

I recommend having a walk around the venues during the day with a quick word to the bar staff about the idea. Good luck!

The Cellar let's Citóg run their night there too though, a great originals night, that's what came to mind first when someone mentioned it.

OP, if you don't want to go into more detail that's fair enough, but it's harder to steer you better - ie more 'classy jazz' (would suit the House better) or 'bluesier' (de Burgos or a darker pub).
    Also you are more likely to have to rent the space from the venue if it's a ticketed night, as they'll have to make up for any regulars who would normally be there for free, and wouldn't pay in to their local. There's a lot of free music in Galway, some great blues too. Regular events that do charge in are often only a fiver for a couple of acts too (maybe tenner for late bar and dancing thrown in) one offs can charge more but you've your work cut out for you.

Advertisement