Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin neighborhood for short-term move

Options
  • 10-01-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm helping friends with their research on a move to Dublin in October. It is a couple in their mid-30s with two children (ages 2 and 4). It is a short-term move (one to two months). The ideal location would have restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, etc., in walking distance and also near public transportation. I know the bus system is widely used and am familiar with the light-rail train, the LUAS. Proximity to good public transportation is desired.

The neighborhoods I've discovered so far are Rathmines and Ranelagh Village. I've seen others mentioned such as Portobello and Kilmainham. The closer in to the city centre the better, but really the most important things are a comfortable neighborhood where they can walk to the above mentioned amenities and experience Dublin as locals. My friend will actually be working remotely and would also like a place where he could set up in a coffee shop with wifi.

My friends love everything about what a city has to offer, but also enjoy parks and the outdoors. I'm sure a neighborhood park where the children could play would be a welcomed plus.

The price range for now is in the 1,000 to 2,000 euro per month range. And again, this is for four people, ideally two bedrooms.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have a look at the likes of Stay City serviced apartments.

it might be tricky for your friends to find somewhere for such a short term lease,

AFAIK they have apartments just off Cornmarket in D8

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tripsbylance

It looks like the cheapest available is around 4,000 euros per month. I hate to assume things, but let's make an assumption that they are able to find a flat available for one or two months. Are there any neighborhoods that would fit the above-mentioned bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I used a short term letting company in 2011. They normally charge by the week not by the month. As others have said, getting something close to town, with all the amenities that you want, that is not in a complete dump of a neighbourhood, at that budget is going to be a big ask. Short term letting companies usually include bills such as electricity, gas, broadband internet, cable TV, bins, etc etc. as part of their rent. If your friends can deduct those monies from their monthly budget, and put it towards their rent instead, they may have a better chance of getting somewhere decent.

The rent also normally includes a weekly housekeeping charge where someone comes in, does a clean, replaces bed linens and towels and what not. (The main market for short term lets are business travelers who would need that kind of service.) If your friend let the letting agent know that they will not require that service, they may be able to knock some money off the weekly rent. I was.

Prouddub, that's fantastic. Do you recall the name of the company? And being in closer in those areas if that's asking too much at the price range mentioned we are definitely interested in other communities farther out from city centre, especially if near public transportation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Scandix (or maybe Scandex?, I forget their exact name) and Dublin Short Term Lettings were the two companies that I used. Both charged a minimum of 500-600 euros per week for just the smallest one bedroom place. However, the quality of accommodation and locations close to town were fabulous. I saved a ton of money on public transport and taxi fares, as I was able to walk every where. Tell your friends to factor those savings into their rental budgets too.

I am not sure of what you'll be able to find further out in the suburbs, if your friends want to move out there to save money. As I said previously, the main market for short term lets are business people, and to a lesser extent tourists. As they want to be close to the businesses and tourist attractions of the city center, the majority of short term lets on offer are close to and in the city center. Sadly, the rental prices will reflect that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dublin Short Term has lots of great options, several of which have monthly rates of 2800 euros. In all honesty, that's a fantastic price if you look at it from the viewpoint of what one would pay nightly for a hotel or B&B over a month's time. And the properties look fantastic. I can't find Scandix or Scandex, but I'll keep looking. Thanks so much for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If you look around enough you can find really good places that will be willing to rent short term for far less than the crazy money charged by the specialized short term-places. Several people I know have rented houses and apartments in areas such as Drumcondra, Smithfield, Rathmines etc on a short term basis simply by contacting advertisements on www.daft.ie and asking if they would consider a short term loan.

Of course you'll be charged a bit more but think 1000-1500 per month as opposed to 2500 etc

It's easier to do once you're here of course but you can definitely find somewhere by shopping around

Examples that are actually advertised short term

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=21638

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=24634

http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=25812

Thanks petethebrick. That's very reassuring. Now I just need to determine the best neighborhoods for them. Again, we're talking young professionals in their early 30s with two toddlers. Want to be in a community where there is a lot of activity, as in people out and about, pubs, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Here is what I'm looking at:
    Ranelagh, Rathgar, Rathmines, Ballsbridge, Sandymount, Donnybrook and Drumcondra. I've also found that Malahide could be a possibility. And I've had someone on another board recommend her village of Blackrock, as well as Glasthule and Dalkey village to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

raheny and killester would be ideal, they are upmarket, very close to the city, have excellent public transport links, st.annes park is in raheny and the coast is a short walk from both areas

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Drumcondra around St. Patrick's College would be very suitable. Good selection of restaurants and pubs, nice park (Griffith Park) with good children's playground, close to Botanic Gardens too. Glasnevin village (beside Botanic Gardens) would be within easy walking distance of Griffith Park and the afore-mentioned pubs restaurants too. Both locations are only 2 miles (3 km) from the city centre. Dublin Zoo is relatively close as well (3 miles / 5 km).

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

You and your friends might also find this site useful; it seems to offer quite a bit of practical information: http://www.dublinshortlets.com/faqs
    Hope this helps ... best of luck to you all.:)

Brilliant information. I will follow up with additional questions I'm sure. This is a process we'll be heavy into in the coming months. It's their extended stay, but it will also be my family's "home" for a weeklong visit, so I obviously have an interest.

Advertisement