Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.1 - how strict?

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone

I have been offered a training contract with one of the accounting firms, which I accepted/signed. Naturally, one of the clauses was that I would have to achieve a 2.1 degree. Usually, how strict are firms with this requirement? If you just miss out on it would they give you a bit of leeway and still accept you or would they show no remorse? I am just worried that after my semester 1 exams I haven't achieved the required marks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

sr814 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have been offered a training contract with one of the accounting firms, which I accepted/signed. Naturally, one of the clauses was that I would have to achieve a 2.1 degree. Usually, how strict are firms with this requirement? If you just miss out on it would they give you a bit of leeway and still accept you or would they show no remorse? I am just worried that after my semester 1 exams I haven't achieved the required marks.

They will show no remorse.

Unfortunately, this is nothing to do with you or your competence, it's more the way the world works. But look, the measure of you is much more than an exam or a grade level at a certain point in your life, so pick yourself up, dust yourself off and onwards and upwards.

Try your hardest to get the 2.1, and work smart. But all is not lost if you do not get it. Carol Voderman got a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sr814

Thanks for the input.

Would you say, that having worked for the company previously (and quite well) as an intern have any leverage in the above regard however? The thing that wouldn't work in that favour I suppose would be the fact the company would also be looking at it from the perspective of sitting future accounting exams.

I would suspect that they would still be spineless about their standards.

Then again, you cannot take the human factor out of it. If you have built up relationships and keep in touch with some of the managers or seniors in side, it is always good.

If you could, then meet for lunch with these people, or volunteer your time while you are waiting on exam results in 'anticipation of beginning your role'; at this stage they do not know your results and you have a chance to relationship build. You can volunteer to work on any projects they have going by way of conferences or practice development or any corporate social responsibility events; show that you are interested in the firm ethos and looking to become part of the furniture. If you then do not make the 2.1 you may still be given a chance.

A partner in a successful practice I know told me he did not get a 2.2, and he is partner... so it is possible to sneak in!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you've worked for them previously it's possible to have an exception made depending on the company. I've been told by a partner in one of the "big 4" that the 2.1 criteria is a contentious issue in the boardroom, but exists mainly to limit the number of candidates whose CVs must be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭thefa

How far off the 2.1 are you currently?

From my college experience, Semester 1 exams were usually about 25%-33% of the credits going for the year. All is not lost if you are still with in reasonable reach of the 2.1 and if this role means enough to you, you will put in the effort required to be getting good results in semseter 2 to bring that average to at least a 2.1.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you've worked for them previously it's possible to have an exception made depending on the company. I've been told by a partner in one of the "big 4" that the 2.1 criteria is a contentious issue in the boardroom, but exists mainly to limit the number of candidates whose CVs must be reviewed.

I'll tell you what one partner told me...

He said that he takes all the applications, piles them up, halves them, and throws one half in the bin.

Because... "...we don't want anyone working for us who isn't lucky"

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sr814

thefa wrote: »
    How far off the 2.1 are you currently?

From my college experience, Semester 1 exams were usually about 25%-33% of the credits going for the year. All is not lost if you are still with in reasonable reach of the 2.1 and if this role means enough to you, you will put in the effort required to be getting good results in semseter 2 to bring that average to at least a 2.1.
    Well it's worth 55% of the credits. But I don't think it would be impossible to work up to a 2.1, or damn close to it.

Advertisement