Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have lever 7 degree want to start plc can I get BTEA

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, in very confused :confused:. I have a level 7 pass degree in Leisure Management and want to do the Higher National Diploma in Graphic Design with Ballyfermot College. Can I apply for Back to Education Allowance if I stay on social welfare from now to September 2013? Im currently on social welfare since June 2012.

Additional Information:

I am 30 years old.
    I was told previously that I can only get BTEA if I study higher than my current level ie Level 8. I think the HND in Graphic Design is classed as a level 5???

any advice would be much appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ggireland

Yes, as far as I can recall you can proceed to an educational course and retain your social welfare payments i.e. BTEA regardless of the level of the award.

I know for a fact that if a person applies for a grant from their local local authorities/VEC etc. then that person must progress a level if he/she wishes to recieve a grant (lets say an individual recieved a grant for a level 5 course, failed 2 modules and went back to do the course again the following year, he/she wouldn't get a grant for the 2nd year). However, if the individual didn't get a grant for his/her first attempt at lets say a level 5 course then he/she will be issued with a grant even if its his/her 2nd attempt at a course of the same level.

Also, a Higher National Diploma isn't a FETAC level 5 course, its a higher educational qualification roughly equal to the first 2 years of a degree course.

The level of the course is (both the first year, and the 2nd yr) includes modules with outcomes at both level 6 and level 7.

Many educational providers classify the HND as level 6+ or level 6/7.

However the Irish Qualification Authorities recognize it as roughly equavilant to a HETAC Higher Certificate (which is also a 2 year degree level course)

In the UK HND's are undertaken as a sub degree course in universities (i.e the student gets a qualification after each year of univeristy, for example; a Higher National Certificate for year 1, a Higher National Diploma for successful completion of year 2 and a degree (either at pass or honours level) in the 3rd year...

The first year of the HND course will give u a Higher National Cert qualification.

This is equal to a FETAC level 6 advanced cert (as both courses feature eight modules at level 6 on the NFQ)

The 2nd yr includes another 8 modules....

BTEC/Edexcel - a UK awarrding body for both further and higher education accredites the award..

Check out HND and HNC on Wikipedia.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

In order to qualify for BTEA you must be moving up a level on the NFQ. So if you have a level 7 you must be applying for a level 8 or higher. If you're unsure of the levels check out the NFQ site.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

You will not Receive BTEA unless you are progressing.

Advertisement