Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalwork/Woodwork Teacher

Options
  • 10-01-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey guys I was wondering does anyone know how the metalwork/woodwork course in teaching in ul like? Which is the better one to do? Also what sort of salary would you get in teaching the subject and are you able to teach after the 4 year course or is there something else you have to do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Hey guys I was wondering does anyone know how the metalwork/woodwork course in teaching in ul like? Which is the better one to do? Also what sort of salary would you get in teaching the subject and are you able to teach after the 4 year course or is there something else you have to do ?

Hi! I'm a 2nd year woodwork teacher. It's a tough course, long hours and plenty of assignments, but if you like it then you'll be happy.

1st year is the exact same for wood and metal teachers, except for 1 module I think. Also, lets say you do the woodwork course but prefer metalwork, it's possible to change to metalwork before 2nd year. All of the lecturers are good and very helpful.

I don't think there's really a 'better' one to do, just do which ever you prefer. Although metalwork students did have less assignments than us this year. It's up to you :) I'm pretty sure metalwork requires less cao points too.

Yes you will be able to teach after the 4 years :) I'm pretty sure this is the pay scale: http://www.asti.ie/pay-and-conditions/pay/salary-scale/salary-scale-for-teachers-appointed-after-january-2011/
    And remember that you can correct exam papers and give grinds for an extra bit of cash.

Hope that helped, any more questions feel free to ask! :)

Cian.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Thanks a lot Cian .. I am very interested in Woodwork at the moment .. I have been ever since started secondary .. I like metalwork too but I find working with wood more enjoyable .. I was also wondering would you know anything about the rate of jobs there are out there now? Like I know a lot of teachers have to travel insane miles to get to work .. Is there a lot of jobs out there?

Thanks a lot Cian .. I am very interested in Woodwork at the moment .. I have been ever since started secondary .. I like metalwork too but I find working with wood more enjoyable .. I was also wondering would you know anything about the rate of jobs there are out there now? Like I know a lot of teachers have to travel insane miles to get to work .. Is there a lot of jobs out there?

To be honest I'm not very sure.. I don't think there is as many as before, but that's the way with every job nowadays. I know of a metalwork teacher who graduated 2 years ago, he's from my area, he was able to sub a few days a week in my old school and a year later got a full time job. So it might be difficult to find a job at first, but just remember that you can give grinds and correct papers etc. :)

Yeah I understand .. I know im all very new to this but regarding the pay .. I know people that start teaching 2013 start on the 4th scale which is like 30K a year .. how would you move up the scale? any ideas?

Yeah I understand .. I know im all very new to this but regarding the pay .. I know people that start teaching 2013 start on the 4th scale which is like 30K a year .. how would you move up the scale? any ideas?

I'm not quiet sure to be honest... I think if you work a certain amount of hours a week you move up by one point every year, so I'm guessing if you have a full time job then you move up one every year, I'm open to correction on this though. I'll ask a teacher I know sometime. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks mate .. Cleared up a lot for me :D

Thanks mate .. Cleared up a lot for me :D

Any time, any more questions just send me a pm or reply here, and best of luck with the leaving cert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

With public sector pay scales, you'll usually move up one point a year if you're working full time. There may be other rules for part time work.

In general, the public service is keeping hiring to a minimum across the board. You may do better if you're qualified in a niche area.

Also consider that if you're only in 5th/6th year now (I'm guessing you are since you're enquiring about the courses) you're 5/6 years away from graduating assuming you get through everything first go. That's a long way away, and a lot can change in that time.

Pick your college course based on what you like doing and what you want to do. If you're good at it and enthusiastic about it, you'll find the work in the end and will enjoy it more when you do. If you get the chance, talk to the woodwork/metalwork teacher in your school about it too.

I love Woodwork and Metalwork and Im pretty decent at the drawing and very good in maths and science

• Registered Users Posts: 21 irishoak

I know this is an old thread, and I will probably be tar and feathered for trying to resurrect it, but id be interested to know how you got on after? Did you go to UL in the end? Get the job?

• Advertisement
Advertisement