Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice Music Prize 2013

Options
  • 10-01-2013 3:54pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here be the list
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onth...list-for-2012/

Wallis Bird “Wallis Bird” (Rubyworks)
    The Cast of Cheers “Family” (Schoolboy Error)
    Adrian Crowley “I See Three Birds Flying” (Chemikal Underground)
    Delorentos “Little Sparks” (Delo Records)
    Damien Dempsey “Almighty Love” (Sony)
    Julie Feeney “Clocks” (Mittens)
    Heathers “Kingdom” (Warner Music)
    Mumblin’ Deaf Ro “Dictionary Crimes” (Popical Island)
    Two Door Cinema Club “Beacon” (Kitsune)
    Windings “I Am Not The Crow” (Out On A Limb)

Here's a shiny new thread for this years award. Would love to see Mumblin' deaf Ro' take it. Or Adrian Crowley.

There's alot of ****e on their this year - Dempsey being the prime example

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Have not heard any of these albums really ..cast of cheers and windings excepted..mumbling deaf jo never heard of him either is he really deaf? must listen to the windings link again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mumblin' Deaf Ro's album is a brilliant piece of work. He deserves to win but probably won't because he's so unknown (although this album is bringing him to people's attention a bit more).

Here's an instrumental from it but the album should be listened to for his brilliant lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I can not for the life of me understand why Sinead O'Connor has not been nominated for this. Some of the songs on her album are absolutely brilliant. The Wolf is Getting Married for example is as good a song as she has ever done.

Twice in the recent past I have bought albums that were winners of this prize, and while they werent bad records, neither of them would be a patch on Sinead O'Connors current album.

The only reason I can think of is that the selectors might think they'd prefer to support an upcoming artist.....but then why include Two Door Cinema Club....just dont get it.

lordgoat wrote: »

There's alot of ****e on their this year - Dempsey being the prime example

A bit snobbish and personal there.......I dont think anyone that sells out venues like he does can be described as ****e.......not to your taste maybe.....but thats another thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Never liked Damien Dempsey myself, Ireland seems to have a knack for producing bland singer-songwriters. I must check out that Windings album though, I've heard a lot of positive stuff about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    A bit snobbish and personal there.......I dont think anyone that sells out venues like he does can be described as ****e.......not to your taste maybe.....but thats another thing.

no no, he's ****e, of the highest twee bull**** leprauhaun pseudo-nationalism drinking using 'oh it's real life and i won't use metaphors cos my main audience won't understand' order.

Now this is snobbish. He's stil pretty ****e though.

lordgoat wrote: »
    no no, he's ****e, of the highest twee bull**** leprauhaun pseudo-nationalism drinking using 'oh it's real life and i won't use metaphors cos my main audience won't understand' order.

Now this is snobbish. He's stil pretty ****e though.

Fair enough. Thats the type of ****e thats common-place on internet forums. Anonymous poster calls local singer ****e in a public arena. Well done big man, very brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Never liked Damien Dempsey myself, Ireland seems to have a knack for producing bland singer-songwriters. I must check out that Windings album though, I've heard a lot of positive stuff about it.

Whilst this is undoubtedly true, in recent years we've also been producing truckloads of the high-pitched, whiny troubadours who see themselves as an incarnation of Nick Drake. Just as worrying as is the rush to lionize them.

Fair enough. Thats the type of ****e thats common-place on internet forums. Anonymous poster calls local singer ****e in a public arena. Well done big man, very brave.

Big man? Brave? What are you on about?

He's been peddling the same formulaic boring music since he began. He'll never be nothing more than a slightly bigger than average fish in a small small irish pond.

And what he sings about, Christ it's so bad. Over sentimental, basic pedestrian lyrics, easy to follow ABAB rhymes. There are so many better songwriters out there, who can actually craft great lyrics with melody as well as being able to sing, without the leprechaun accent.

mosstin wrote: »
    Whilst this is undoubtedly true, in recent years we've also been producing truckloads of the high-pitched, whiny troubadours who see themselves as an incarnation of Nick Drake. Just as worrying as is the rush to lionize them.

There's also an in between niche as well. Check out Peter Delaney for one. And Mumblin Deaf Ro. Two singer songwriters with more to them than you think on first listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm just going to step in here with my mod hat on. Saying a singer's music is sh*te is not a personal attack. It's an opinion on the music not the man. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Any more silly sniping at people will result in infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not a huge Dempsey fan, though I've heard a few of his songs that I've liked. But to describe him as bland is way off the mark, he has a very distinctive sound - maybe you're thinking of Damien Rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

loyatemu wrote: »

I'm not a huge Dempsey fan, though I've heard a few of his songs that I've liked. But to describe him as bland is way off the mark, he has a very distinctive sound - maybe you're thinking of Damien Rice?

I'm assuming your tongue is placed firmly in cheek here.

loyatemu wrote: »

Distinctive? He's the embodiment of the generic singer-songwriter. Walk into any pub in the country and you'll find a Damien Dempsey strumming away. Yes I know the difference between the two. Hell, I'd even listen to Damien Rice before I'd listen to him. By the way neither of them are exactly John Martyn or Nick Drake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Haven't heard any of those albums, should check a few of them out when I'm finished my exams tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

I can not for the life of me understand why Sinead O'Connor has not been nominated for this. Some of the songs on her album are absolutely brilliant. The Wolf is Getting Married for example is as good a song as she has ever done.

Twice in the recent past I have bought albums that were winners of this prize, and while they werent bad records, neither of them would be a patch on Sinead O'Connors current album.

The only reason I can think of is that the selectors might think they'd prefer to support an upcoming artist.....but then why include Two Door Cinema Club....just dont get it.

Really like the Wolf is getting Married, but I think the 'single' version is better than the album version... i like the electric guitar riffs in it, savage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

You know it was a bad year for Irish music when Delorentos win. Their album is the most unoriginally sounding piece of indie crap I have heard.

Although they have been some strange choices over the years. Like Jape’s second album, which was also a pile of muck.

Distinctive? He's the embodiment of the generic singer-songwriter. Walk into any pub in the country and you'll find a Damien Dempsey strumming away. Yes I know the difference between the two. Hell, I'd even listen to Damien Rice before I'd listen to him. By the way neither of them are exactly John Martyn or Nick Drake.

Thats not true, quite the opposite.

I can name a heap of singer songwriters that sound quite like Damien Rice......Ed Sheeran is an obvious one.....

Name one singer songwriter that sounds like Damien Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I was at work last nite and had to endure Julie Feeney, two fairly rubbish songs and a cringe interview, nearly made me go and do a bit of work !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

I can name a heap of singer songwriters that sound quite like Damien Rice......Ed Sheeran is an obvious one.....

Any northside drunk on a saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

I don’t like to begrudge acts awards based on my own taste in music but how in God’s name did Gavin James win best song when you have the likes of Le Galaxie and Villagers nominated? Love System was a cracker of a song. So different to the usual tripe put out by a lot of Irish bands. The Heather’s song, Forget Me Knots was brilliant too. Even that new girl out – Bridie Monds-Watson (SOAK) had a good chance of winning with her song, Sea Creatures.

I thought maybe Kodaline would win it, but Gavin James was just a shocker (to me anyway).

The artists nominated for the best album category were dull (IMO), bar Two Door Cinema Club and Windings. Was there not better albums released that year that they could have included? That being said the Delorentos' album Little Sparks wasn't the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You know it was a bad year for Irish music when Delorentos win. Their album is the most unoriginally sounding piece of indie crap I have heard.

You really need to broaden your spectrum of indie crap so.

Any northside drunk on a saturday night.
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

quite pleased that Delorentos won, great album, and good to see them getting recognition after 2 good albums before it and years of touring.

surprised that Gavin James won best song, never heard it before it won, and have no desire to again. as mentioned above, several much better songs nominated, "Le Galaxie - Love System" being my favourite of them, although id prefer all of them to Gavin James, bar The Coronas/Script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Although they have been some strange choices over the years. Like Jape’s second album, which was also a pile of muck.

His second album is brilliant. I think you'll find you're talking about his third.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Windings should have won imo

Advertisement