Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An appriciation of Cheap Trick

• 10-01-2013 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Born in Illinois 1973 (though with band member history going back over 10 years earlier) finding success with a new fangled "pop-metal" sound (with a notable subset of beautifully judged ballads) before falling from favour, returning to great success, falling from favour and so on! A true in/out band of American contemporary music. The early music has a sharp raw edge to it that stood out from the Bostons and Journeys of the mid 70s and it stands up very well.

Oh Candy from their eponymous debut album which the critics liked but found few other listeners at the time

In Color followed quickly and the breakthrough came.....in Japan. Yes Cheap Trick were the act that really prompted the "big in Japan" joke as locals went crazy for them or at least Robin Zander on lead vocals and guitar.

"I want you want me" which sounds ridiculously lame on album, they'd fix that as the album was much later re-recorded and now sounds like the band wanted it to however it still hasn't been released (the last known date was 2010 but still nothing)

Heaven Tonight 1978 failed to break the band at home lead single "Surrender" peaking outside the top 50. When the success came it was from a unexpected quarter - EPIC released a live album for the Japanese market only - "at Budokan" but demand for it in the states as an expensive import was big and growing so the label decided to release it and put back the 4th studio album a year.

"Ain't that a Shame" - play it loud.

Dream Police followed and is probably their most beefy rocking album verging on genuine heavy on a couple of tracks. The title song is well known so here's a different number and its one of the heavy ones :)

Cheap Trick got one more substantial bite of the apple before stasis set in All Shook Up was produced by the fifth Beatle George Martin and its sound and tone disappointed the new found fan base. They got sued by their labels senior partner CBS for $10 million though the case was settled without liability. All Shook Up followed with the great Roy Thomas Baker at the desk producing this little pop-rocking cracker (cue MTV video controversy)

from here until 1988 the band was treading water the albums all mixed bags hovering around the 50-60 chart positions in the USA. Then came Lap of Luxury and a shock number 1 which also charted well internationally. I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I first heard it but its actually a very decent album and as lighters in the air ballads go "The Flame" is a good one.

and with that the band found themselves in a corner as the label wanted another "the Flame" Busted was next out and and sounds pretty much like Lap of Luxury. "Woke Up with a Monster" in 1994 saw the band back to square one - the critics quite liked it but the public had drifted away.

The title track, not a bad grower.

Since 1994 Trick have recorded only occasionally but continue to tour like so many "classic rock" acts still able to play the crowd pleasers to a pleased crowd. Beats working for a living :)

Thanks to Raycon for bring the story up to date (I was out of time, but I published anyway!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The Budokan is a great album, great sound on it. They are a very influential band with some great songs.

They were supposed to record Double Fantasy with John Lennon but Yoko Ono sacked them after one session, I think some of the music turned up somewhere afterwards.

They did a cover of Big Star's "In The Street" as theme song for That 70's Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

nice little history mike65 ... surprised you didn't mention The Latest album from 2009 ... was well received and featured in a lot of Rock mags End Of Year polls that year ...
    There's some really massive catchy choruses strewn throughout the album , and the Beatles influence is turned up to the max on the lp.

Cracking album

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

ooo forgot to add : Sick Man Of Europe .. the "heaviest" tune from The Latest ... a 2 min belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Miss Tomorrow from The Latest is excellent as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement