Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raspberry pi wifi problem

Options
  • 09-01-2013 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I purchased a mini wifi dongle in order to stream movies from my pc through my raspberry pi. When testing it downstairs it worked perfect but the pi was sitting on the desk beside the pc and modem. I was using a wireless keyboard and mouse also. When I moved the pi upstairs the playback is very giltchy and it takes ages to load the movie and start to play.. The distance is only about 20 meters. Any idea what could be causing this? could this be a voltage issue or simply a crappy dongle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any solid concrete between the router and the dongle?

Used to live in a house with a concrete floor between the ground and first floors and wireless reception upstairs was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bozharry

no concrete walls in the house and its a small 3 bedroom semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It could be interference from any wireless devices in use next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Are you using a powered USB-hub?

no im not using a powered usb,thats what i was wondering,is it a voltage problem?

• Advertisement

got sorted,a friend of mine had a wifi extender which plugs into the socked beside the router downstairs and i have the other adapter pluged in to the pi upstairs.all is working fine now.i would highly recommend the raspberry pi to everyone,its a great little gadget.thanks

Advertisement