Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinning hair....treat or cut?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

So the dreaded time has come, hair is starting to be noticeably thin on top, will I start buying some of these shampoos or start having it cut very tight?

Shampoos.....anyone find a affordable one? Any recommendations....

Tight hair....not sure if it will suit, but cheapest and no more worries? ....but will I look old...?

What ye think? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,169 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There are no shampoos which are effective at treating hair loss, other than very temporarily. There are some more invasive treatments which are of more (but still limited) effect, but they are very expensive.

Get it cut. It costs less and will probably look better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Aye, when mine started to go, I just shaved it all off. That was 12 years ago now and I've never looked back. I was actually told recently that having no hair actually suits me, which I didn't think it would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was just reading on article about this on Men's Health - http://www.menshealth.co.uk/style/hair-care/beat-hair-loss. Have a look at pages 1 & 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Cut it off and see how you look

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Actually, once you start greying you'll look younger with a tight cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Mach 3 Turbo FTW! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Same problem mine started going at 21 and completely gone at 22 on top.

Shave it all off, haven't really thought of it miss putting gel in sometimes but sure it's gone and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

There's an app a drug for that. My brother uses it. Seems to work, but I get the feeling it's just slowing down the hair loss as opposed to actually stopping it or promoting growth. He refuses to speak about the side effects, but I believe they can be numerous.

Personally I'm in favour of shaving it all off and making it look like it's your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

biko wrote: »
    Actually, once you start greying you'll look younger with a tight cut.

Greying wouldn't/doesn't bother me myself, but I don't think baldness would suit me - intentional or otherwise!

I have to admit I'd probably be here looking for treatments if it happens :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I'd buy a pair of clippers and shave it. The greater the extent of the hair loss the tighter it should be.

It'll look quite well if you have the right head for it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 ironnike

Bad hairs is leaving good heads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Shave it off

Or

Take propecia
    Spray on minoxidil
    Use a good shampoo (read up on it)

...This will slow down/stop/reverse hair loss

...When/if these treatments stop being effective you can get a hair transplant.

It will cost you money but you have a choice in the matter, Wayne Rooney being the best example, he was bald, he's not now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I guess its up to you OP whether you want to spend the 100s or 1000s in hair restoration but I would recommend the simpler and much cheaper option of cutting it tight/shaving also. That is what I did and at the same time grew a neat beard which overall gave me a completely new and different facial appearance/look that was so much better. I get so many compliments from people since I did that (not that I received criticisms when I had the unshaved thinning hair but the fact people said nothing then just shows which look they, and more importantly I, now prefer). I cringe when I see some earlier photos of me with thick back and sides but thin on top. Was not a good look!

Advertisement