Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of 30 year old ash tree.

Options
  • 09-01-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Can anyone give some pointers on the value of an approx 18 inch diameter 30 year old ash tree, I would like to see it used for woodworking purposes rather than as firewood as is the plan now, what would the approx value be for woodworking wood as opposed to firewood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 faithful chippie

30 years, as is it wouldnt be very mature timber, very soft. most hardwood trees take 80 years or more to mature, then they are good for timber.

ring a timber merchants, strahan, abbey woods, anyone really and get a price for ash in cubic metres, find the volume of your tree in cubic metres, (pi x radius squared x height) then that'd be its value if mature, 30 years old? i wouldnt consider using it for woodwork really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The tree is worth about e80-100. The cubic ft value of machined timber thats dried is not anywhere near the same value as what the cubic ft value of what your tree is worth.
    There is machining, drying and grading all to be done before its usable and that is not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

1chippy wrote: »
    The tree is worth about e80-100. The cubic ft value of machined timber thats dried is not anywhere near the same value as what the cubic ft value of what your tree is worth.
    There is machining, drying and grading all to be done before its usable and that is not cheap.

Your dead right.

To be honest I wouldn't say there would be a whole of guys interested in it for timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

Thanks for replies, firewood it will be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is it a fallen tree? For trees over 10 years you need to get permission for felling them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

Sam, unless "it is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure" Located in Baltinglass, Wicklow Woodturner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Just out of interest, if it were elm or walnut could anyone give an approximate value. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

recipio wrote: »
    Just out of interest, if it were elm or walnut could anyone give an approximate value. ?

Walnut and Elm is getting harder to get so I'd imagine it would be quite valuable. I'm keeping an eye out for both for woodturning bowls.

Advertisement