Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Coach's

Options
  • 09-01-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

What are your thought's on Clubs paying for Coach's,
    I know a lot of club's have outside Coach's for swimming etc, probably would require payment for there time and maybe travel costs
    But with a lot of Club's now have level 1 coach's and some having level 2 coach's should the clubs be paying them.

Do may Club's pay Coach's ?

I know some club's have people who give up there time for coaching and don't look for anything in return, but should the club's " look after" these in some way.
    I know this is down to the individual people and club's,

Just interested in some different view's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ceepo wrote: »
    What are your thought's on Clubs paying for Coach's,
    I know a lot of club's have outside Coach's for swimming etc, probably would require payment for there time and maybe travel costs
    But with a lot of Club's now have level 1 coach's and some having level 2 coach's should the clubs be paying them.

Do may Club's pay Coach's ?

I know some club's have people who give up there time for coaching and don't look for anything in return, but should the club's " look after" these in some way.
    I know this is down to the individual people and club's,

Just interested in some different view's

If the club paid for the coaching courses to be taken then that is enough reward IMO no need to pay per session to the coach. I do think that coaches should get expenses covered for the sessions, whether its barter, free membership, your kids go free or vouched mileage is up to the individuals involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

In general the club coaches cater for the bulk/the beginners etc. As you improve or get competitive you need more personal plans. Yes some club coaches can fulfil but I'd guess the top 3 in each well established club are self coached or coached by non club coach. Of course every club has the resident legend, generally the swim coach as the sessions are seen as must and thus popular for all levels. A pool naturally lends itself to group coaching as several lanes cater for large ability spectrum, you arrive back in front of the coach every minute or two etc..

IMO a club coach for tried is spread too thin. Ideally you will have one for each discipline. Club coaching should be available to all paid members. Of course contributing extra to cover the rent of pool lanes, gym halls etc but not paying a coach's fee. I crack up every time I get email inviting me to pony up to bring my turbo to a hall and do a session to suit all!

Coaches who volunteer to coach at a club are gaining rich experience and are usually to be commended for their efforts. However pay membership, gym fee, class fee AND a coach fee...? My experience of "employing" the club coach and a specific personal coach are worlds apart.

In a different life a rowing coach would spend an entire Saturday in a launch driving up and down the river beside us. Yes they may have had little subsidies from the club, however their driving motive was club pride over making a buck! At most we would all chip in for the petrol money. I believe that membership to a club should get you access to the club coach as is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Agree with the two previous posts, plus Triathlon is expensive enough as it is and I wouldn't think most clubs are huge profit making machines so if club coaches being paid was to become the norm then subscription fees would have to go up which in turn would impact participation. I think most club coaches are involved because they like seeing people enjoy being active and participating in triathlon and wouldn't want to see less people getting involved, I don't think any of them do it for the money.

The sessions that the club coaches do are usually formulated to involve the whole spectrum of the club and as such that should be covered by your membership fee (pool swimming is different as there is a lane hire cost to cover too). If you want individual sessions / plans then that's when you start paying for coachingas the coaches take extra time to make sure the plan is prepared to suit you and your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

so for those in clubs, are most of you you paying a yearly subscription and then paying for swimming ? and if so what sort of figures ?
    just out of curiousity and no need to mention the club name or anything if you don't want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

miller82 wrote: »
    so for those in clubs, are most of you you paying a yearly subscription and then paying for swimming ? and if so what sort of figures ?
    just out of curiousity and no need to mention the club name or anything if you don't want to

Almost everyone here knows what club everyone else is in..

Anyway, Annual Membership €65. Swim sessions work out at €7 per hour on top of that. I reckon thats not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Annual membership €50 and swim works out at €8.50 a session on top of that.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our club are only just beginning to encourage members to get into coaching, and to see in-house coaches as the way to go. They are hoping to cover training fees (though I havent taken them up on that myself) but not to pay coaches. I think thats the right way to approach it, because the main incentive behind club coaching should not be financial. If a coach was investing a lot in the club there are other ways to reward them, free membership and kit etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our membership is €30 with coached swim 70 per 12 week block. They also hire the pool so we get a free uncoached swim session one morning a week. Our kit is subsidised too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »

Anyway, Annual Membership €65. Swim sessions work out at €7 per hour on top of that. I reckon thats not bad
    Annual membership €50 and swim works out at €8.50 a session on top of that.

Similar in my club.

Worth remembering that everything has a price and also a value.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BTH wrote: »

Think it works out more or less the same everywhere. We're €10 for a 90 min swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Think it works out more or less the same everywhere. We're €10 for a 90 min swim.

Time to move your training log? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Time to move your training log? :D

Fuck. You. :)

There's so many Pulse in Donore at this stage that I'm getting a little confused.

Fact.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

our club is €50 to join and €80 for coached 1 run and 1 swim session a week every quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tinydave wrote: »
    our club is €50 to join and €80 for coached 1 run and 1 swim session a week every quarter.
    Is the running on a track that has to be paid for, and does the e80 include the entry to the pool ?

€25 per annum with €50 for 10 weeks coached swim with x2 club coaches Level 2

Whest is best!! (value)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Is the running on a track that has to be paid for, and does the e80 include the entry to the pool ?

yep the track and lane have hourly costs but the €80 covers that.

There seem's to be a general thought that the Club Coach should Not be paid, but that they maybe "rewarded" in another way, Membership, gear etc,
    And some saying that some expenses should be paid,.

I suppose there are somethings to take into account when club's are making decisions to Pay for Club Coaches or outside Coaches,

As pointed out if the Club has paid for the Caching Course then i dont see why the would pay for the coach to coach a session,
    On the other hand if the coach has paid to do the courses then i suppose the may charge something for there time and expenses,

I know that the Level 1 and 2 course are quite expensive to do somewhere in the region of e700 and that does not take into account travel expenses, A hefty outlay,

Of course if you want private coaching or 1 to 1 then thats different, thats down to the individual to decide, and they can choose to go to any coach that want and can pay as they see fit to pay,

My own club, e25 membership, club hoodies e10 extra, subsidised gear,
    swimming works out at e7.70, per week,

On the other hand if the coach has paid to do the courses then i suppose the may charge something for there time and expenses,

There would also be more of an onus on this kind of coach to actually be able to impart knowledge as they are being paid to coach. Just because they've done the courses doesn't necessarily mean they can coach.

There would also be more of an onus on this kind of coach to actually be able to impart knowledge as they are being paid to coach. Just because they've done the courses doesn't necessarily mean they can coach.

That's a whole new can of worm's open right there,
    I agree with you there on " because they done the course, dosent mean they can coach, but ( there's always a but)

Why would there be more of a onus on this kind of a coach, surly who ever is coaching there is a onus to impart knowledge on who they are coaching

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

€30 to join

- 2 free turbo classes per week
    - 2 free running sessions
    - 3 swims per week - just €5 pool entry fee (works out as €2 per session with annual pass!)
    - €5 for 1 on 1 hour long swim technique lessons with video analysis
    - Free training weekend away in Lahinch
    - 4 free club triathlons, 4 free club duathlons, 2 free club aquathons, free 5 race time trial series, free 4.5km open water swim challenge.
    - subsidised gear - 20% off

We try to stay away from paying for coaches where possible. We try to encourage our better triathletes to help out where they can - they were given help in the past so it's nice for them to give help back.

The fact that it is a smaller club helps. When you know everyone in the club it is more like a family and you don't mind helping out as in general people are very appreciative. For larger clubs, you might not know the other 200 people in the club. It would be hard to give up your free time in this situation so you might need to consider paying for a coach.

There is no interest from anyone that coaches in our club to go on triathlon coaching courses. You don't need to have a piece of paper to be a good coach.

At the pointy end of things it would make sense for some people to have an individual coach.

I ranted on about volunteering on my blog recently > click to check it out

• Advertisement

That's a whole new can of worm's open right there,
    I agree with you there on " because they done the course, dosent mean they can coach, but ( there's always a but)

Why would there be more of a onus on this kind of a coach, surly who ever is coaching there is a onus to impart knowledge on who they are coaching

I agree, a coach should be able to coach.

If you ask a friend who is a painter to help paint your house and they do a rubbish job it's much easier to bollock them out of it if they are expecting to be paid for doing the job than if they were volunteering their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

€30 to join

- 3 swims per week - just €5 pool entry fee (works out as €2 per session with annual pass!)
    - 4 free club triathlons, 4 free club duathlons, 2 free club aquathons, free 5 race time trial series, free 4.5km open water swim challenge.

We try to stay away from paying for coaches where possible. We try to encourage our better triathletes to help out where they can - they were given help in the past so it's nice for them to give help back.

The fact that it is a smaller club helps. When you know everyone in the club it is more like a family and you don't mind helping out as in general people are very appreciative. For larger clubs, you might not know the other 200 people in the club. It would be hard to give up your free time in this situation so you might need to consider paying for a coach.

There is no interest from anyone that coaches in our club to go on triathlon coaching courses. You don't need to have a piece of paper to be a good coach.

At the pointy end of things it would make sense for some people to have an individual coach.

I acted as club secretary for two clubs over the last 8 years.

Over the years I've seen a big change in the membership queries.

When I joined the first club I was coming from playing a little small ball. I couldn't swim, cycle or really run. I trained and made sure I wouldn't be a burden on the club. As club secretary I got the emails about joining. Implicit in people joining were that they would help others when the time came and maybe organise a race or two in the future. When you helped to put on a race you had a good idea that those doing the races would be doing their part for the sport.

As the years went on, in that club and my present one, the tone and type of emails changed. From "Can I join you club please?" to "I want to do a triathlon, make me into a triathlete".

As Peter Kerns put it here (and his comment didn't get the recognition it deserved) "But what can you bring to the club?"

In general based on what I've seen over the last few years is most do not bring anything to the club or the sport. Resources (coaching and races) are consumed but its "an entitlement" rather than a "lend".

So I can see why people are not volunteering - why give your time to others when they will not help others in turn or give back to the sport.

If you are in an environment where everyone helps everyone then odds are you will help out too. Thats my experience. However I think for this to work you have to limit members, and be realistic. Not everyone wants to, or can contribute, to the club and the sport. So there is, in my mind, a definite need for a form of elitism - although not in terms of talent but attitude.

I agree, a coach should be able to coach.

If you ask a friend who is a painter to help paint your house and they do a rubbish job it's much easier to bollock them out of it if they are expecting to be paid for doing the job than if they were volunteering their time.

The same could be said for a coach who is not up to the job, even if they are unpaid club coach, what the point in having them there, and then its harder to not have them coach, or tell them there not up to it.

Just to add in, i am a painter, lol

€30 to join

I agree a piece of paper does not make a good coach, nor do all good athletes/triathletes make good coaches,
    There is some good to be got from the courses, add to this the experience learned from years of running/triathlon, factor in a bot of common sense and this can make for a good coach,

of course the next question is what/who is a good coach

The club i am in is a small club membership wise a and spread out,
    We charge a small membership fee,

This was not a topic of What does membership cost and what do you get for it, but rather more to do with, If clubs pay for coaching, swimming/ running,
    or cycling.
    There are a lot of clubs out there and a lot of peolpe on here are members of them clubs, i was just wondering what the norm was,

Of course if you want 1 to 1 you pay,

Club sessions are different,

Do clubs get Swim Ireland coaches for there swim sessions, or do they have there own club coaches on deck, as opposed to some one coming up with a set, getting in and doing the set with them,

I am sure most bikes spins are group spins and probably no need for a coach on these, but do clubs have a coach who comes up with what the group should be doing weekly/ monthly

and the same for run sessions,

Do your club have a coach to oversee these weekly/monthly,

If so is this a Triathlon Club coach or just a run coach with a running club, swim coach with a swimming club, and cycling club.

I realise that this structure does/will not suit everyone in the club as some people will be aiming for different races and even different distances

Ceepo

Advertisement