Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teens and thongs

Options
  • 09-01-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey all
    Just a quick one.
    My 13 year old daughter was heading out last weekend to the local disco. She goes most times they are on and I drop her and collect her. She always dresses nicely without looking slutty

As she was getting out of the car however this time I noticed she had a thong on under her leggings. I didnt even know she owned a thong.

Do I talk to her about it? Is it acceptable for her to be wearing thongs at that age these days? What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Ooops!

I know she is young-I have to be honest,you sound like I did when my girls started wearing them.
    I didn't realise they owned them ,and I personally think they look hideous!

My 16 year old has just provided me with the reasons why thongs are wonderful:
    thongs are cheap,comfortable,take up little space in drawers-(no pun intended!),
    no VPL,......

Remember,teenagers are keen to be as similar to their friends as possible,
    I think you are very lucky that the rest of her attire is always to your liking.
    Long may this continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

At 16 I'd raise an eyebrow at 13 not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

My daughter bought them "by mistake" but wears them far more often than regular knickers. They all wear them. I think they're ok under jeans or leggings but wouldn't like to see them worn under skirts. Too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

My mother lost the plot when I bought some at age 14, but allowed me to wear them when I explained why.

The only reason I wanted to wear them was because, in leggings or tight trousers/jeans, you could see my underwear line and I was really embarrassed by it.

Now, I don't wear anything else because I find them extremely comfortable.

I'd agree with the poster who said that they're fine under trousers, but not skirts. I'd never have worn them under a skirt at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

thongs are comfortable? i dont think thats really their selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

thongs are comfortable? i dont think thats really their selling point.

Different strokes for different folks.

I personally find pants to be extremely uncomfortable and will not wear them, whereas I find thongs and g strings perfectly comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HelenMorrissey

tinyk68 wrote: »
    My daughter bought them "by mistake" but wears them far more often than regular knickers. They all wear them. I think they're ok under jeans or leggings but wouldn't like to see them worn under skirts. Too risky.

By mistake :-)
    Happens all the time that lol

Definitely agree with you on the skirt. That would be way too much.
    But guess there is no harm under her leggings/jeans.

Must admit I wear them most of the time myself so guess I'm leading by example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

Sorry in advance, as a little icky.

Just on an aside, I know you mentioned that you didn't know she owned a thong. Perhaps she is doing her own laundry, in which case, they obviously wouldn't be in a laundry basket, but you might want to just make sure that they're being washed in the machine, just in terms of hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My daughter is 13 i wont let her wear them or buy them, she has asked i told her ask me again after she turns 16. She is not a leggings person so vpl isn't really an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HelenMorrissey

Sorry in advance, as a little icky.

Just on an aside, I know you mentioned that you didn't know she owned a thong. Perhaps she is doing her own laundry, in which case, they obviously wouldn't be in a laundry basket, but you might want to just make sure that they're being washed in the machine, just in terms of hygiene.

She does her own washing so no worries there I hope

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 Chuckie pooh

I thought thongs were so ten years ago ? Are they back in fashion again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Risky? What exactly is the risk? I am interested to know of what harm this piece of underwear is putting our youth at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Um the risk of her bending over and flashing everyone?!

Call me old fashioned but that is risky to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 oneofmany

That age would definitaly would be an issue I think, this being only a local disco and her being 13. Starting at that age can never end up good, could be that her friends were boasting around her and she thought it would be trendy since peers use them. What you should do is talk to her about it, maybe before the next going to a disco, approach slowly and ask for the purpose of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jenny_1997

I have never worn a thong and i have never seen any of my classmates wearing one when changing for Pe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

oneofmany wrote: »

Starting at that age can never end up good,

WHAT??!! Why what could possibly go badly due to wearing a thong??

I remember being 11/12/13 and thinking they were gross!! Me and my friends used to talk about them in disgust!
    I distinctly remember being just over 13 and saving for ages to buy these mad combat trousers with all these HUGE pockets, I adored them! But they had no pockets on the bum to hide VPL so I sat my mam down and explained why I wanted to buy a thong!! Cringe! She was very good and understood - I had older sisters who wore them and they weren't going to the bad...

Seriously though. Where would your concern lie with this issue? That they aren't age appropriate? That they may promote promescuity (which I assume thats what some posters are hinting at though I'm genuinely not sure)? That she might have some sort of wardrobe malfunction? As long as she's only wearing them with jeans/ leggings!

I find it very strange though that a type of underwear might have an affect on a person... Although I might be misconstruing some of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

They're just knickers, I see no issue with a 13 year old wearing them. They do the same job as fuller knickers and its not like anyone will see them..I can totally understand the vpl thing, I'm nearly 22 and I get self conscious about it myself still!

I honestly don't think there's any harm out of it. If you make a huge deal out of it she'll feel uncomfortable about them, and is it really worth making her uncomfortable over underwear?

I see the issue about accidentally flashing someone when wearing a skirt so maybe you could encourage her to wear normal knickers when she wears skirts, or at least be vigilant when she bends down to remain modest. But under jeans/leggings? I don't see an issue :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Well the OP could tell she was wearing a thong under her leggings so others will notice it too.
    Some of those leggings are see through under certain lights so maybe its the leggings that are the problem not the thong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I thought thongs were so ten years ago ? Are they back in fashion again ?

I blame yoga pants!
    Um the risk of her bending over and flashing everyone?!

Call me old fashioned but that is risky to me.

Not if they are under pants, under skirts I would see the issue. I wear full underwear the whole time (I like a warm butt!:o) and I have noticed more than once that they have ridden higher than my pants, so if they are visible above the pants line, she's not the only one with that situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi all, i dont see a problem at all, my 9yr old daughter wanted a pair as her older sister and myself wear them, after a chat with her i agreed and went out and brought her 3 pairs, shes never been happier :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement