Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto Maple Leafs fire Brian Burke

Options
  • 09-01-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413146

The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired general manager Brian Burke, reports TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie.

It was surprising news to many that after a 113-day lockout, the Maple Leafs would fire Burke now.

"Not very often I'm at a loss for words, but today I am," McKenzie said.

Maple Leafs winger Mike Brown echoed McKenzie's reaction.

"A lot of things are happening pretty quickly. It's definitely weird timing," Brown said of the news. "I wish him the best and thank him for everything."

Nothing surprises me about the Leafs. This has to be the worst timing ever to fire a General Manager. I can't help but laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Holy moley. That came from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Go Marlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

I'm gutted. The man was pure entertainment whether you liked him or not.

Big step back in my humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I'm gutted. The man was pure entertainment whether you liked him or not.

Big step back in my humble opinion.

He was there for 4 years and they failed to make the playoffs. They were going in reverse under his guidance. Some of his trades were, ahem, questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

COYW wrote: »
    He was there for 4 years and they failed to make the playoffs. They were going in reverse under his guidance. Some of his trades were, ahem, questionable.

I hear that but to me he had a certain likeability factor. Kinda rooting for the underdog. Especially after all the stuff that happened in his personal life i really felt for him.

Unfortunately he screwed himself into the floor with the Kessell trade and that's what people will always remember about his time with the Leafs.

Hope he doesn't stay out of the game too long and resurfaces somewhere else soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement