Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 310XT Failure Rate?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

My Garmin 310Xt failed after about 11 months (in warranty). Now the replacement has failed almost a year later (out of warranty).

Garmin quoted me STG£105 to fix an out of warranty 310XT, with a 90 day warranty.

Amazon currently sell new ones for £170ish with a 1 year warranty, so not sure if it makes sense to repair it and get a tiny warranty given the failure rate.

Anecdotally, I have heard of several other people whose 310xt's have failed. Is this a common problem, or is my sweat particularly corrosive?

There is something in consumer protection legislation where there is an expectation that big ticket items last for a reasonable length of time...>€200 per year on Garmins is a step too far.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would be pushing for repair under SOGA. Youve had two fail in an unreasonable time, its worth a shot. Where did you purchase, bricks and mortar or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

In fairness I have mine 3 or 4 years now - not a jot of trouble ever out of it and battery life is still great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oryx wrote: »
    I would be pushing for repair under SOGA. Youve had two fail in an unreasonable time, its worth a shot. Where did you purchase, bricks and mortar or online?

^ this.

You've either been very unlucky or you are particularly hard on the watch in some way.

In what manner has it failed? Under what circumstances? and is it the same each time?

Not taking sides but the standard warranty is one year on manufacturing faults (with Polar its 2). If its wear and tear you are unlikely to be covered under warranty unless its within 'normal' use. *very loose term used which I don't like.

There is a reasonable expectation that a product will stand the test of time under normal conditions but AFAIK nothing specific relating to the actual value of goods and expected durability. Think car, x years warranty with conditions of mileage, use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

mine nearly 3 years old and still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

In what manner has it failed? Under what circumstances? and is it the same each time?

First one failed in that it would just not power up at all - would not switch on.

Second one has failed initially by charging unreliably (sometimes it would, some times it would not) and now not charging at all.

I don't use it in the water, never have, just on my road bike or occasionally on the trainer or running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nwm2 wrote: »
    First one failed in that it would just not power up at all - would not switch on.

Second one has failed initially by charging unreliably (sometimes it would, some times it would not) and now not charging at all.

I don't use it in the water, never have, just on my road bike or occasionally on the trainer or running.

Presuming the second one was a replacement for the first through the retailler / online. Did you notfiy of the issues with Nr 2?

Have you tried a different charger by any chance?

I would get straight back on to the retailer about it, make a bit of noise (unless its AK*), it was faulty from the start and it should be replaced or repaired.

*If its AK, I will do my best to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My first one was brutal, sent back. Wouldn't hold time.

So regret selling my second one. Years of no hassles.

8 910xts later........

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

tunney wrote: »
    My first one was brutal, sent back. Wouldn't hold time.

So regret selling my second one. Years of no hassles.

8 910xts later........

Eight!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

Nwm2 wrote: »

I went through 2 310xts. Ended up getting a Forerunner 610 for the run and an Edge 500 for the bike. Bit excessive but it works. And I have an everyday watch!

Advertisement