Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAI Membership Renewal

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

It's that time of year and CAI membership is up for renewal. Previously I worked for a Big 4 and had this paid for me. However in 2013 I moved into Industry and my current employer will not pay for this.

My question is - is keeping this membership a necessity in Industry? Do those now working in Industry continue to pay?

What are the pro's and con's of non-renewal? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Jay085 wrote: »
    My question is - is keeping this membership a necessity in Industry? Do those now working in Industry continue to pay?

So lets get this straight, you have spent the last three and a half years working towards this qualification and now that you got it, you are just going to throw it away, seriously :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jay085

Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this throwing away my qualification? I'm qualified now, I have passed the required exams and attained the level of required work experience. Nothing changes that.

I'm talking about continuing membership of CAI. I don't think if you don't continue your membership you become 'unqualified'.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this throwing away my qualification? I'm qualified now, I have passed the required exams and attained the level of required work experience. Nothing changes that.

I'm talking about continuing membership of CAI. I don't think if you don't continue your membership you become 'unqualified'.

Qualified Accountants are members of recognised bodies and are entitled to use the initials (ACA, CPA, ACCA, AIPA etc) of those bodies depending on their level of membership (FCA, FCPA etc).

If you don't pay the fees you may (will be after a period) be removed from membership and will lose the right to use those initials, which are the proof of your qualification.

Any potential employers who contact the institute to see are you a member would be told no, you were not.

If you fail to pay your membership, you will cease to be a member of recognised professional accounting body (it will be published) and then you will no longer be able to describe yourself as a Chartered Accountant, nor even sign so much as a passport application!

And when it comes to employers, when the say they want a qualified accountant, they really mean someone that is current, not someone that has the training of qualified accountant. Most HR/Agencies will check the membership records to confirm your qualification at the time of recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jay085

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll be keeping my membership up to date, too risky not too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll be keeping my membership up to date, too risky not too.

What about CPD, will your employer also expect you to pay for that??? Otherwise you'll need to plan for some cheap options...

Advertisement