Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display problem in Kubuntu

Options
  • 09-01-2013 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Every so often when I right click to get the menu its outline doesnt go away. When I used to use Gnome Shell in Ubuntu I'd just hit Alt F2 and then r to reload the shell. But I recently switch to the KDE plasma and I cant figure out how to do the equivalent.

Problem itself I dont mind if I can find a quick way to just reload the display or something. Anyone have any ideas ?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/611845/235581.png

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

What graphics card / drivers are you using? That should never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Khannie wrote: »
    What graphics card / drivers are you using? That should never happen.

This is the graphics card info right ?

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

I'm not sure how to check the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

Does this happen only with context menus within Chrome/Chromium? Or any context menu?

Something similar happened occasionally to me with Chrome which I think was related to hardware accelerated rendering.

It would go away by closing all Chrome windows and then running
    killall -9 chrome

to remove any defunct processes.

timbyr wrote: »
    Does this happen only with context menus within Chrome/Chromium? Or any context menu?

Something similar happened occasionally to me with Chrome which I think was related to hardware accelerated rendering.

It would go away by closing all Chrome windows and then running
    killall -9 chrome

to remove any defunct processes.

I do use chrome a lot and don't recall it ever happening with anything else. Ill try that command next time it happens.

Yep its a chrome issue all right. Cant believe I never copped that before as simply closing chrome fixed it.

Bad thing about it though is that often I'd have stuff loaded and wouldnt like to close chrome. Gnome Shell was handy in that regard as the shell could be reloaded without closing any applications.

Did you find a permanent solution timbyr or did it just stop happening ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

Yep its a chrome issue all right. Cant believe I never copped that before as simply closing chrome fixed it.

Bad thing about it though is that often I'd have stuff loaded and wouldnt like to close chrome. Gnome Shell was handy in that regard as the shell could be reloaded without closing any applications.

Did you find a permanent solution timbyr or did it just stop happening ?

I was running the Development channel of Chrome with a lot of the [URL="http://chrome:flags"]flags [/URL]enabled.
    I've since disabled a lot of the flags related to hardware acceleration, and the problem has disappeared.
    But since the Dev channel is updated regularly so I'm not sure if it was disabling the flags or an update that fixed the issue.

Advertisement