Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing doctors

Options
  • 09-01-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm feeling a bit annoyed with my new doctor and was wondering does anyone else have experience changing their doctor for combined care.

I did a pregnancy test around December 17th which told me I was 1-2 weeks pregnant and that is usually 3-4 weeks by the doctor's dating methods. I was due my period around 8-9 December and never got that. My last period being at the beginning of November.

I went to a new doctor yesterday because I have a medical card and wanted to register with him as my medical card doctor so said might as well go to him for combined care.

I was really annoyed with how he treated me. Made me feel uncomfortable and as if I was keeping him from something. I don't want to have to go to him every time.

He also stated I'm 3-4 weeks pregnant now, which I can't understand as I haven't had a period since the start of November.

I don't want to ring the hospital for an appointment yet as I think his dates are wrong and don't want to end up having my 12 week scan a number of weeks late.

I want to go back to my previous doctor for the combined care, the only reason I didn't go to him yesterday was because he doesn't accept medical cards and thought it would be wise to register with a doctor that does. Seeing as combined care is free it would not have mattered if I went to my other doctor.

Is it possible to go back to my previous doctor for combined care and just use my new doctor for medical card related things? The previous doctor was used for my other child if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm feeling a bit annoyed with my new doctor and was wondering does anyone else have experience changing their doctor for combined care.

I did a pregnancy test around December 17th which told me I was 1-2 weeks pregnant and that is usually 3-4 weeks by the doctor's dating methods. I was due my period around 8-9 December and never got that. My last period being at the beginning of November.

I went to a new doctor yesterday because I have a medical card and wanted to register with him as my medical card doctor so said might as well go to him for combined care.

I was really annoyed with how he treated me. Made me feel uncomfortable and as if I was keeping him from something. I don't want to have to go to him every time.

He also stated I'm 3-4 weeks pregnant now, which I can't understand as I haven't had a period since the start of November.

I don't want to ring the hospital for an appointment yet as I think his dates are wrong and don't want to end up having my 12 week scan a number of weeks late.

I want to go back to my previous doctor for the combined care, the only reason I didn't go to him yesterday was because he doesn't accept medical cards and thought it would be wise to register with a doctor that does. Seeing as combined care is free it would not have mattered if I went to my other doctor.

Is it possible to go back to my previous doctor for combined care and just use my new doctor for medical card related things? The previous doctor was used for my other child if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Did the doctor get you to sign the maternity care form to send to the hse? That's how they claim the money for your visits back. If not, I'd imagine it would be easy to change doctors. I only did mine yesterday and I'm 17 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Not completly sure about changing doctors but i cant see why not, if your last period was start of november you would be further along than 3-4 weeks,my last period was 3rd november & im 10 weeks tomorrow. Use the online due date calcuators to find out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

If you haven'y signed the combined forms i cant see why you cant use both like you want to. Your First visit with your previous doctor they will prob charge you for. I was charged for my first visit but haven't been charged since. I have signed 3 forms one at 11weeks, one at 26 weeks and one again yesterday at 29 weeks and the doc still hasn't received anything back from the HSE.

It is important you feel comfortable with your GP as once you get to the third trimester you will be seeing them more regularly plus if you have any questions you will have no hesitation about picking up the phone to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

Hi OP... I changed a number of times through my pregnancy. You have to be happy with your doctor. My advise would be is to change. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Many thanks for the replies.

I did sign a form when in the doctors. Will this be a problem changing?

I did use a couple of online due date calculators and they all put me as being due on 15/16th August. Not the middle of September.

How should I deal with booking my hospital appointment? Can I tell them when I ring up how far I think I am and ignore the doctor's estimate? I don't want to be 16-18 weeks getting my first scan done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

A signed 3 of those forms, the doctors said it wasn't an issue at all. I think I put a line on the bottom stating my I was transfering my care from Dr. X to Dr. Y. There was never an issue.

Ring the hospital and say you require a dating scan as the EDD is differing greatly. Awww... I loved going for scans... Good luck...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Many thanks for the replies.

I did sign a form when in the doctors. Will this be a problem changing?

I did use a couple of online due date calculators and they all put me as being due on 15/16th August. Not the middle of September.

How should I deal with booking my hospital appointment? Can I tell them when I ring up how far I think I am and ignore the doctor's estimate? I don't want to be 16-18 weeks getting my first scan done.

Depending on the hospital, you may not get offered a 12 week scan. Lots of hospitals have cut back and only do the anomaly scan at 20 weeks. In my hospital I was scheduled for my first scan at 17 weeks, and only because it was a twin pregnancy with a missed miscarriage in the first trimester. I was told I was "lucky" to get one at 17 weeks because others have to wait until 21-23 weeks. So, check your hospital's scan policy.

With regard to your dates: what was the first day of your last period? You count 40 weeks from then. If you are using an online calculator then they are usually spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Neyite wrote: »
    Depending on the hospital, you may not get offered a 12 week scan. Lots of hospitals have cut back and only do the anomaly scan at 20 weeks. In my hospital I was scheduled for my first scan at 17 weeks, and only because it was a twin pregnancy with a missed miscarriage in the first trimester. I was told I was "lucky" to get one at 17 weeks because others have to wait until 21-23 weeks. So, check your hospital's scan policy.

With regard to your dates: what was the first day of your last period? You count 40 weeks from then. If you are using an online calculator then they are usually spot on.

Oh I didn't know that. Must look into that and see what the story is.

I opened the letter from the doctor and he put down my last period as December instead of November so that is where the confusion must have came from.

Advertisement