Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite stories of 2012?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

So, I was commissioned to put together a list of my favourite Palaeo stories of 2012 and came up with these. Dinosaur Tracking Blog had a good piece on the most exciting (and frustrating) stories of the year too.

Anybody got any particular favourites of their own? I was thinking we could stick a poll together or something and do a 'story of the year' award. We've done stuff like this before and it was a bit of fun.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, I was commissioned to put together a list of my favourite Palaeo stories of 2012 and came up with these. Dinosaur Tracking Blog had a good piece on the most exciting (and frustrating) stories of the year too.

Anybody got any particular favourites of their own? I was thinking we could stick a poll together or something and do a 'story of the year' award. We've done stuff like this before and it was a bit of fun.

So many amazing discoveries last year... whenever I thought I had the discovery of the year before me (well, not literally but you get what I mean), something even more surprising came along...

But c´mon, where is Sciurumimus? D: Not only is it a frigging feathered megalosaur (I think it still is, right?), but its also so damned cute!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had Sciurumimus on my long list (I was originally supposed to do 10, but couldn't narrow it down to so few), but had it in my head that it was a 2011 discovery. According to wiki it is a 2012 one though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

About the poll and all that... I don´t remember them so I guess this was before I arrived?

Also, what ever happened to the beast of the week and all that stuff?

Once we cleared the alphabet and started over again it kind of lost its momentum and we kinda forgot about it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Once we cleared the alphabet and started over again it kind of lost its momentum and we kinda forgot about it.

I didn´t... but I figured no one had time for it anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Not a story really and certainly not a favourite, but I found that last year there were so many creatures that were likened to T.rex. The T.rex of the seas, the T.rex of the skies. The T.rex of the modern world. the T.rex of this that or the other.

I suppose it shouldn't irritate me really, but I can't help it.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Not a story really and certainly not a favourite, but I found that last year there were so many creatures that were likened to T.rex. The T.rex of the seas, the T.rex of the skies. The T.rex of the modern world. the T.rex of this that or the other.

I suppose it shouldn't irritate me really, but I can't help it.

Hey! Who did they say was the T-Rex of the modern world?

Cuz that's me...:mad:

Hmm in that case can I be the Spinosaurus of the modern world (You should see me with a fried breakfast. NOTHING stands in front of me when I am in the munchy mood.) :pac:

Oh yes it was Orca :(

Rubecula wrote: »
    Hmm in that case can I be the Spinosaurus of the modern world

I'd say that's gotta be the polar bear. The the biggest land carnivore of its age, but with a trace of irony; it spends much of its time in water.

edit:

So, maybe a poll for favourite story? We could use the 20 from my article along with Sciurumimus. Anything else? The Hobbit facial reconstruction perhaps?

I'd include the pygmy right whale/last living cetothere thing. To me it was as if someone had found a Megalodon alive.

Ok, not exactly but, kinda.

• Advertisement

Great idea Galvasean put up a poll I am in favour of it. But if you can try to make it multi choice as there are a couple in there that could be voted on.

Advertisement