Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to become an accountant.

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm just wondering if someone can help me out, I'm in my late 20's, Female.

I'm looking to start into accounting, I've not got any experience but the job I'm in at the moment requires a lot of working with numbers and I feel this with my attention to detail would serve me well.

I have a 2 year Diploma in Science.

What would be my best route to start off with.

I'm thinking I would need to go down the ATI route with ACCA to follow.

I would be looking to start something in September, 2 nights a week max, I don't want to leave my job at the moment as it's secure, it's something I really would like to do.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 George Huxley 1983

Hi OP

At 24 i found myself in a similar position to where you are now.

I did one year of the ATI exams (4 subjects, 2 nights a week) while at the same time working in a job like you that i didn't want to leave. While doing this i applied for an got a position in a 4 year accounting university degree.

This was followed by a 3.5 year professional contract with professional exams.

Its a long road but if you want to do it and you are willing to put in the work/sacrifice then there is no reason why you cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zexual

Hi OP

At 24 i found myself in a similar position to where you are now.

I did one year of the ATI exams (4 subjects, 2 nights a week) while at the same time working in a job like you that i didn't want to leave. While doing this i applied for an got a position in a 4 year accounting university degree.

This was followed by a 3.5 year professional contract with professional exams.

Its a long road but if you want to do it and you are willing to put in the work/sacrifice then there is no reason why you cannot.

Hi thank you kindly for taking the time to reply.
    On the bold above was this a full time degree in a university college, did you go back as a mature student ? did you have the points to get into the degree or apply through interviews.

Did you do the course part time or full time in uni, I don't think I could go back full time however I would be fine doing 2 nights a week.

Can you do the 3.5 years experience whilst in uni for instance, in my job could it count towards my 3.5 years?

How far along are you now if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

zexual wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if someone can help me out, I'm in my late 20's, Female.

I'm looking to start into accounting, I've not got any experience but the job I'm in at the moment requires a lot of working with numbers and I feel this with my attention to detail would serve me well.

I have a 2 year Diploma in Science.

What would be my best route to start off with.

I'm thinking I would need to go down the ATI route with ACCA to follow.

I would be looking to start something in September, 2 nights a week max, I don't want to leave my job at the moment as it's secure, it's something I really would like to do.

Any help appreciated.

Would you qualify for the elevation programme?

http://www.elevationprogramme.ie/entry.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi
    I was in a similar position.
    At 30 while working in an unrelated job I started doing a Accountancy and Finance degree in Dublin Business School. This was 2 evenings a week running from October to May over 4 years (4 years part time or 3 years fulltime- same degree).

It is not clear from your post whether you want to be a fully qualified accountant or just want some qualifications in accounting. If the latter then the DBS degree is a good qualification that ticks all the accountancy boxes and also has modules in Finance, Information Technology and management. I found it a very good course.

If you want full qualifications then the DBS degree will give you F1-F9 ACCA exams or full Cap 1 exemptions. To be fully qualified is a long long road and many of the topics get very detailed and complex.

Your alternative route is elevation programme as other posters have suggested http://www.elevationprogramme.ie or you could start the ACCA from F1-F9 (as above) and P1-3 and 2 from P4-7.

It really depends on how far you want to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hi.
    Sorry to hijack the thread.
    I'm kinda in the same position as the OP however I'm a 27 year old male.

I'm looking to enroll in a 4 year part time degree in September, preferably UCD as it's just around the corner, could anyone recommend a course that is taking on mature students and also a course that would give me exemptions from CAP1 when/if I qualify.

I've got time on my hands, I'm hopefully aiming to go down the route of 3/4 year degree, CAP 1 exemptions, 18 months relevant work experienced waved for the 3.5 years work experience needed.

Any help much appreciated.

Best of luck with your cause OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement