Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

She's looking for her own car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Whatever you do, stay away from the Chevrolet Kalos - they're that cheap for a reason. I like the look of the Civic, low mileage auto jap - can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What's her budget and length of commute?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Either of the Hondas would be my preference. Shame about the color of that Jazz; they are generally a great little car. Same for the Civic. Cant really go wrong with Honda; very reliable, wont cost the earth to run but a very nice car to drive with a decent bit of poke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Chippy01 wrote: »

Anyone with any advice for the good lady?

Well if you're as chauvinistic IRL as you are in that post...ive lots of advice for her :rolleyes:

The second last Civic looks a good buy if you want my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Confab wrote: »
    What's her budget and length of commute?

Judging by the cars she picked out, top whack would be no more than 5,000.
    Her commute is only 18 miles each way, three days a week; plus shopping runs at the weekend.

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Well if you're as chauvinistic IRL as you are in that post...ive lots of advice for her :rolleyes:

Oh, do tell. I'll pass it on to her later .... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Oh no... who left the door open? Some feminist has wandered in! :p
    I'd go with the Civic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Of that bunch Id buy the Fiesta.

Civic if it was manual (and not silver)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Supertoucher

anniehoo wrote: »

Agreed, the least chauvinistic thing to do would be to appreciate her as an strong, equal, and resourceful woman and let her choose a car on her own :pac:

The Honda's or the Fiesta get my nod, cringe at the auto box though - I'm assuming that it's a necessity however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Pug 206 1.1 was the car choice of my missus.
    For a 7 year old car you would expect it had the timing belt changed and probably the clutch although the odometer is too low for the clutch change.

Interesting is the "wrench light" to the left of the odo - it means either the car may require servicing or this was not reset the last time serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is nearly 5 k for a ten year old Civic a little saucy? I know it's very low mileage, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Supertoucher

I really wouldn't recommend the 206. That era for Peugeot was particularly poor and I know plenty of people with 206's and 307's who have had a lot of problems.The Jazz on the other hand was widely regarded as a class leader and the generation of civic above is essentially reliable too. Not particularly exciting cabin wise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

You won't go wrong with a hatchback Toyota Corolla. Here is an example for you http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4371424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€5k is mental money for a 10 year old Civic and the gearbox bearing is known to give trouble in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sneakiest ' I don't want to get wet on my bike, so i'll convince OH to get her own car ' thread ever.....:D

ratracer wrote: »
    Sneakiest ' I don't want to get wet on my bike, so i'll convince OH to get her own car ' thread ever.....:D

If only!
    I ride all year round, always have done. :cool:
    Yes, the car is handy in bad weather but I didn't spend a fortune on proper winter riding apparel to leave it hanging in the hall. :mad:
    It's her idea to get her own car, and I'm just helping to make sure she gets the best value for her hard earned yo-yos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If only!
    I ride all year round, always have done. :cool:
    Yes, the car is handy in bad weather but I didn't spend a fortune on proper winter riding apparel to leave it hanging in the hall. :mad:
    It's her idea to get her own car, and I'm just helping to make sure she gets the best value for her hard earned yo-yos.

Oh yeah, right - it's the GEAR you don't want to get wet, LOLOL........ ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

My partner says thanks for all the replies, even though she thought a couple of them were a bit cheeky.:p:p
    She's thinking that a Civic or a Jazz might be the way to go, but is open to further advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My partner says thanks for all the replies, even though she thought a couple of them were a bit cheeky.:p:p
    She's thinking that a Civic or a Jazz might be the way to go, but is open to further advice.

Defo but not at the prices above...they are mental!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I would'nt reccomend either a Jazz or Civic(hatchback) from that era. They both give gearbox trouble and the civic also gives electric power steering trouble(expensive to fix). A Toyota Corolla hatchback of the same era would be a far better buy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We all know she is going to go with the one she likes the colour of the most :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Advertisement