Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing for singles?

Options
  • 09-01-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey there... Anyone have experience of this or suggestions?

Single guy (me) wants to go skiiing. I'm finding it hard to organise the lads into a group to go, they all have their own commitments (wives, girlfriends, kids, work etc), so have decided I'm going solo!

I have no issue travelling on my own and very comfortable in my own company but skiing is always better fun with a group of people, especially the all important apres-ski !!

So I'm looking for suggested destinations, resorts, websites etc? Any of those that might be more suited to a single traveller?

I've skiing 4-5 times in the past, so have a reasonable level of experience... haven't been for a few years and dying to get back to the slopes.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

I think it could be sold out, and its probably too short notice, but how about the Today Fm/Top Flight Ski Trip?

I have never gone, but I know a good few that have, and they say its brilliant, and it always sounds great on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I worked at Lake Louise a few years back, and every day they had a number of Resort Hosts that would basically offer tours (catering for different capabilities) for a few hours. Usually attracted large group of guests. I know a few other Canadian resorts did it, but I haven't seen/sought out the same service at European resorts. It might be worth enquiring about, wherever you're considering going. Would be a good way to meet skiers of a similar standard.

I was in Chamonix a two years ago with some friends, they were only beginners, so I was on my own for a bit. I usually just tried talking to whoever was on the lifts with me. Just tagged along with them for a few runs if they had a particular area they wanted to go or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Both skicentre.ie and skiclub.ie are organizing trips that cater for singles as well as couples etc. Skicentre are off to Les Arcs on the 23rd of feb and at the same time skiclub are going to Kitz, then in march to Zell am Zee. If you are willing to share it makes life easier for both your wallet and in terms of availability. I went with the ski club last year by myself and shared a room, and it worked out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

You could try posting on snowheads. They have a section specifically for solo and group holidays.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=19

• Registered Users Posts: 32 emagination

Great stuff... lots of starting points there!

I did try the Today FM Trip about 6 weeks ago, but all the single places were taken. Went on some waiting list but never heard any more!

I'm gonna check out SkiCentre.ie and SkiClub.ie too...

Tnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hey there... Anyone have experience of this or suggestions?

Single guy (me) wants to go skiiing. I'm finding it hard to organise the lads into a group to go, they all have their own commitments (wives, girlfriends, kids, work etc), so have decided I'm going solo!

I have no issue travelling on my own and very comfortable in my own company but skiing is always better fun with a group of people, especially the all important apres-ski !!

So I'm looking for suggested destinations, resorts, websites etc? Any of those that might be more suited to a single traveller?

I've skiing 4-5 times in the past, so have a reasonable level of experience... haven't been for a few years and dying to get back to the slopes.

Cheers!
    I was in exactly the same boat as you this year and then i found snowheads.All my usual crew(wife freinds etc)have other commitements this year or unfourtnately are unemployed or have emigerated.I just stuck a post on snowheads and now this saturdat we have a bunch of 8 of us headin to mayrhofen.None of us knew each other at first but through e mail and phone calls we are now well accquainted.give it a try www.snowheads.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You will get a lot more skiing done on your own. Think I would get annoyed skiing in a group again now with all the waiting around and discussing if we are going left or right or straight on every couple of minutes.

There is never a shortage of people to go drinking with in a ski resort so no fear of getting lonely in the evenings. If you are after more organised meet ups then the tour reps usually have days where they lead a group out on the mountain, and of course there is generally a pub crawl on the first night which you can do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Have a look at rudechalets. I stayed in one of their catered chalets (Chalet Christoph) in Morzine/Avoriaz just before Xmas and I have to say it was amazing. They have I think 3 chalets in Morzine, one in Mayrhofen and possibly one in Chamonix and the one I stayed in catered for 14 people most of whom would be either single people or small groups of 2/3 together so it's a really good way to meet people.

The price includes one day of mountain hosting too which was really good. It cost me about £370 which includes all of your food and wine for the week, airport transfers and lifts up and down to the cable cars and into town at night which I thought was amazing. The chalet hosts were cool aswell and always up for coming out for a few drinks at night.

I couldn't recommend them highly enough, I'm already planning to go back in April. Fwiw we booked out a whole chalet with our group but we met the people from one of the other chalets out one night and they were mostly singles/small groups. The only thing is you have to share a room with someone else so be prepared for that, or else try get just one other person to go along with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Those 'group' trips mentioned above are priced with a premium that is hard to justify. Group trips should be cheaper. Guess it all goes on the social aspect if that's what you want. In a ski resort, you don't need much to get a party going!
    The skiclub would be more 'skiers' trips-all are on the website. I think there is an extra charge for non members.

I am looking to go myself in late February or early March. Would have no problem pairing with you/others. Rather than hijack your thread I will start a new ski buddies wanted thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Ian Dempsey trip is sold out for singles from what I have heard.

Kaisr Sose; Spot on both the Ian Dempsey trip and the Ski Club trip have a group premium price that I personally find expensive compared to what you could get elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Skyhawk

You could always sign up for one of the Ski Club of Ireland trips:

http://www.skiclub.ie/assets/files/Holidays%202013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dogtanian

Hi Emagination

i'm in a similar boat although i'm a beginner...i was thinking of the topflight trip http://www.topflight.ie/ski-breaks/tagrugbyskitrip.aspx it seems expensive although everything is included. i'm interested to know if you've found a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Being a beginner is a great time to go on your own as you will be in ski school all day therefore mixing with other people and you can head for a bit of apres with your class after the lesson each day. Its a great way to meet people.

Just book a deal with one of the tour ops (or book DIY if you are confident enough to so it this way) to a `good for beginners` resort. No need to book one of these group type trips.

Advertisement