Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare to self employed

Options
  • 09-01-2013 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi, i am looking for good ideas, inspiration and info on how to set up a business successfully.

i am a stay at home dad at the moment but i dibble and dabble in a bit of buying, selling and doing up cars. i have been buying cars that need doing up for myself for years now, doing them up and then needing money to live and selling them off.
    i now am thinking of turning this into a business through the back to work programme available.

i have been doing a bit of research into it for a small amount of time now but need so more help please!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You'll get a better response if you ask specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommy sutton

just need info and suggestions on how to set it all up. and cost of doing it. available grants etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The motor industry is still on it's knees in Ireland. I don't think you'd get investment for this. One bad flip and you're out of business!

i under stand the down turn that is there. i just need to make a living from this not a million. just so sick and tired of part time jobs that dont pay enough to pay my child care and being 1 out of hundereds applying for a full time job available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

just so sick and tired of part time jobs that dont pay enough to pay my child care and being 1 out of hundereds applying for a full time job available.

Have you looked? Because two of my friends said the same thing and I got them to re-write their CV's. In a week both had jobs and since Christmas both have been offered new jobs again. There's plenty of work out there.

As a hobby, keep doing what your doing, as a business it won't work.

• Advertisement

i apply to, on average 4 jobs a week. i have been offered quite a few, taken up quite a few. i agree there is plenty of work out there.
    having more than a 6 month contract or €350 a week is a big ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭busymom31

Talk to your local enterprise officer about the enterprise allowance payment.

You keep full payment for a year and half in the second year.

There are grants up to 1500 from the development companies and social welfare have grants up to 1000.

There is also lots of start your own business course's which are great to explore your idea. Enterprise boards, development companies and vec's are running them regularly.

Advertisement