Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting vs Renting

Options
  • 09-01-2013 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Im doing the Leaving Cert this year, obviously I'd love to stay in accommodation in Dublin. Needless to say, parents aren't too eager, because of costs etc. As well as that, Joe Duffy tends to shíte on about the anti social behaviour that clearly is engaged in by every single student in the country.

Can anyone add to the pros/cons lists?

Staying in Dublin:

Pros:
    - Craic
    - Little to no commuting
    - Full college experience
    - More time
    - Experience the real world

Cons:
    - Cost
    - Food
    - Lack of structure

Commuting
    Pros:
    - Save money (~200 a month)
    - Good food at home

Cons
    - 2.5 hours commuting minimum per day. - What a waste of time!!
    - Not immersed in college
    - Cannot enjoy the nightlife Dublin offers due to lack of place to stay
    - Can be held back from getting to know people.

Obviously money is a big one, I'll be applying for grants, scholarships - the works, as well as selling away on adverts.ie, and hopefully working during the summer.

Anyway, input is welcome. Hopefully you can help me sway the folks. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Jaysus - I love this 'college experience' lark as if it was beneficial in some way. Can you not get p!ssed and engage in casual sex in the village / town you live in? To be fair I don't begrudge you the 'college experience' just don't let it interfere in your studies. And yes that includes First year!

Anyway a couple of pointers. The commute isn't necessarily a waste of time if you have a half decent laptop. You'll actually be surprised how much you'll get done as there's nothing else to do. You'll also very quickly gain a collection of floors you can crash on after drunken nights out.

If you do come up to Dublin do your research and get someone half decent and cheap - it's easy to get screwed over on student accommodation. On thing you might want to do is commute for the first semester or so then move up. You might have a few mates whom you can get digs with.

Good luck, enjoy and remember to take precautions. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Thanks for the reply... There's only so many times you can go out in this town without getting bored.
    On the bus it's tough to be productive with all the noise and people, but it's a fair point.. Thanks for the tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Methememb wrote: »
    On the bus it's tough to be productive with all the noise and people, but it's a fair point.. Thanks for the tips!

Bus will be a dream compared to most college libraries - good set of headphones should also be an investment.

Advertisement