Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childrens Swimming Lessons

Options
  • 08-01-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello,
    I was thinking on enrolling my daughter for swimming lessons in Shoreline Leisure.

I've been getting varying feedback on the quality of the teaching. Can anyone advise based on their own experience or advise on alternative locations?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

micandre wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was thinking on enrolling my daughter for swimming lessons in Shoreline Leisure.

I've been getting varying feedback on the quality of the teaching. Can anyone advise based on their own experience or advise on alternative locations?

Many thanks

I have two children who took swimming lessons there, firstly my son who started at 9 years and barely able to swim, he's now in the lane swimming where they do 50 lengths.
    My daughter was 4 when she started and a complete beginner. Now aged 6 she's in the deep end and a great swimmer. It think its very important to complement the lessons with regular visits to the pool, to make it fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

i'm not happy
    leaving there have been sending my child for the guts of 18 months and she's not swimming independently much - she has the ability but doesn't push herself and can't (or chooses not to) do the "stroke" (she can swim under water for a length but when she comes up for air she can't get back started again without needing to touch the bottom)

she needs the instructor to get in the pool and HELP her with what she's unable to do on her own
    and they just stand on the side the entire time

one on one may be better so it may not be officially Shoreline's fault but i'm trying somewhere else first...

the positive i can say is - her experience has been a happy one (except 1 teacher she just doesnt like), she enjoys going and is confident in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

I've had a good experience so far. Bit expensive though. Had him in 2 terms. I find they're in the pool with them all the time but that might be cause he's only in the younger classes - he's 4. Bit of waiting around for their turn sometimes but u probably get that with all group lessons. Ive talked to some other parents who've moved their kids out of other lessons to go to Shoreline and reckon its better.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

I have two children who took swimming lessons there, firstly my son who started at 9 years and barely able to swim, he's now in the lane swimming where they do 50 lengths.
    My daughter was 4 when she started and a complete beginner. Now aged 6 she's in the deep end and a great swimmer. It think its very important to complement the lessons with regular visits to the pool, to make it fun.

We use Glenview now and find it good, used Shoreline but found teh groups too good and teh teachers not great at controlling the students. Have to say overall I do wonder why after years of lessons my 2 boys are still not great swimmers, sometimes I think the lessons are just supervised swims! But it is an afterschool activity they love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Nothing but extremely positive feedback to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we moved our kids from Shoreline to lessons in Druids Glen - as with some others commenting we found the Shoreline lessons were a bit too big, and kids were left to their own devices if they weren't paying attention (obviously this depends on the instructor to an extent). They seem to be learning quicker at DG and the lessons are more interactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A number of the teachers in Shoreline are very experienced and I was taught by 2 of them as a child. Both our kids have learned to swim down there. One is a great swimmer, the other not as strong. I dont blame shoreline though, that's just how it goes with kids. Parents need to take them swimming regularly to really see the benefits. If a kid isn't a great swimmer, moving them around to different classes won't change that for most. Lots of practice will.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

Hi,

Thanks so much everyone for all your feedback. All very helpful comments.

Kind regards.

Advertisement