If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Advice regarding a collision

  • 08-01-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

    Last thread of the day - promise!

    As I've said in my last thread, I'm new to the country and so please excuse my lack of knowledge in some matters which are probably quite trivial to you guys :(

    I was involved in an road traffic incident about a month ago whilst driving my partner's car, where another driver hit me.

    The other driver drove off without exchanging details. I managed to get his registration number and one of a potential witness of the incident along with makes and models of those cars.

    This has been reported to the Gardai and they are investigating. As far as I'm aware there is only damage to my partner's car. The damage is light and the car is drivable.

    I have spoken to my insurance company and they have said that they cannot investigate the incident unless we put in a claim on our own insurance initially - something we are not willing to do as my partner does not wish to lose her no claims should the other driver's fault not be established.

    I suppose I'm asking whether this is the normal situation in this circumstance. Where I'm originally from you would usually tell your insurance who would get in touch with the other party's insurance company, thrash out the details with them, and if the other party's insurance did not accept liability, then you could decide whether you would want to claim on your own insurance or not.

    We don't want to claim on my partner's insurance or pay for repairs for ultimately something that wasn't my fault, but if it comes to it then we'd rather pay for the repairs ourselves. It just seems that we can't pursue the matter unless we make a claim on our own insurance.

    I suppose I'm looking for advice as to what you would do. We're going to pursue the matter from a Gardai perspective regardless.

    Thanks and apologies if the description is a bit vague, obviously I don't want to disclose too much information in light of ongoing proceedings.



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

    This is normal you claim on your insurance (your partners) and your Insurance company will follow up with hit & run persons insurance company. The only part I'm not too sure about is if hit & run person is uninsured what happens then. I know there is a fund for uninsured so you should be covered.

    hit & run is a crimal offence and garda have to investigate but unsure if they will disclose the details to you. It doesnt really matter as you are claiming through your insurance company

    I advise confirming all this with your insurance company.