Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total transformation -continuous improvement v shock value at the end

Options
  • 08-01-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I started a weight loss journey back at the end of November , since then I have lost 20lbs , I still have a way to go mind you but I'm very determined , I achieved that loss even having to deal with Xmas , my goal isn't just to lose weight I want to be in great shape at the end , my question is should I make continuous improvements as i go on like buy nicer clothes etc , one thing im also thinking of doing is going into a top hair stylist , I think this would be best to leave at the end for that shock effect but my hair is quite long now so I'm also thinking of getting it done now , what ye guys reckon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hiya

female point of view here.

I lost loads of weight a few years ago (approx 5 stone). I found that doing the improvements along the way was both necessary -clothes were hanging off me-but also an invaluable confidence boost and source of ongoing motivation. I'd def recommend doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I lost even more than that (:o) and agree with the above. It's the idea that there won't be a day when you're done. It's all about continuous self improvement whether you're focusing of weight loss today or weight maintenance or continuously improving your diet or shaking up the wardrobe again. I have a lot of clothes that don't fit any more. I have shirts ranging from L to 3XL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Like the others have said, I've lost a significant amount of weight (8.5 stone and still losing). I still have another stone and a half to lose and I find that getting new clothes and doing my hair along the way is massively improving my already somewhat bolstered confidence. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

First of all, congrats on the weight loss and the determination to continue working on it.

I think its all down to each individual, but now is the time to experiment and see what suits you. Try different hair styles, different looks, (Maybe some facial hair if you're a guy), different styles of clothes etc.

Its all a learning game after all as you're moving into new territory so who knows where it may lead. Don't just stop at a look, maybe some lifestyle changes, new hobbies etc can all help shape what you do and how you dress in the future.

Best of luck with it and keep up the great work :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd agree with the others and buy some new clothes along the way. Just get a regular haircut if you want to save the WOW factor for when you reach a target weight/size. If you are losing weight quite quickly still, then don't go mad buying new clothes, just enough to get by as they might not fit you soon either :D

Congratulations on the weight loss so far and good luck in continuing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Well done so far. Its great.

I can't speak from personal experience but for what I have seem other do. Anyone who I know who lost weight and put it back on were the people who went on crazy fad diets and/or pills etc and when back to their normal diet and lifestyle when their target weight was reached only to put it all back on again. I think you need to see it as a lifestyle change for health reasons and not just focus on looks. You will most likely need to stick to the healthy eating for good and keep active. Finding a sport you enjoy will make that easier. Also don't obsess over it.

I agree with other about buying new clothes etc along the way. I wouldn't spend a fortune if you intend to loose more weight as you won't be wearing them for very long.

Again very well done. It must be very hard but you will be so glad in years to come as you will be so much healthier and happier than if you continued to put on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have swimming trunks that fall down now.

I mooned a lifeguard I was getting a lift out of a rip current a week back. May have been a full moon.

All my pants are now 36 inch waist and I'm falling out of 34" swimming trunks...

I'm all for continues improvement. I cant do big bang changes as I just cant stick to big changes I need to make small changes to stick with things and then build on them.

But Op whatever works for you to be honest. If big changes work for you and you stick with them do what works......
    I also thing you should reward yourself as you go as well to stay motivated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I started a weight loss journey back at the end of November , since then I have lost 20lbs , I still have a way to go mind you but I'm very determined , I achieved that loss even having to deal with Xmas , my goal isn't just to lose weight I want to be in great shape at the end , my question is should I make continuous improvements as i go on like buy nicer clothes etc , one thing im also thinking of doing is going into a top hair stylist , I think this would be best to leave at the end for that shock effect but my hair is quite long now so I'm also thinking of getting it done now , what ye guys reckon

Firstly, fair play. :)

If you can afford it you might as well buy clothes as you go along. As for the hair, I reckon you should perhaps wait until you hit your target weight. Not to sound terrible, but I've seen some hairstyles on people that just don't suit them for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Fair play on the weight loss, it's a great achievement!

If I were you, I'd buy cheap enough clothes as you go along, for comfort and so that you're not wearing clothes miles too big. If you can, try save a little money for new clothes as you're losing the weight. Then when you reach your goal, buy some good quality pieces in your new size - perhaps some jeans, a coat, maybe a suit and some shirts. Whatever you want!

As for the hair, do wait until you reach your goal to get a new style, as your bone structure might become more pronounced as you lose weight and you don't want a new style you get now to not suit you at the end. Just get regular trims in the meantime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ironnike

Congrats on weight loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

30lbs down now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Fair play on the weight loss, it's a great achievement!

If I were you, I'd buy cheap enough clothes as you go along, for comfort and so that you're not wearing clothes miles too big. If you can, try save a little money for new clothes as you're losing the weight. Then when you reach your goal, buy some good quality pieces in your new size - perhaps some jeans, a coat, maybe a suit and some shirts. Whatever you want!

As for the hair, do wait until you reach your goal to get a new style, as your bone structure might become more pronounced as you lose weight and you don't want a new style you get now to not suit you at the end. Just get regular trims in the meantime :)

thats what I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I actually just threw out all my 'fat bloke' clothes last week.

I went from 18.5 to 13 stone last year.

I picked up pieces as I went along but not too much. I am finding that the 36 and 34 inch pants/shorts and the large shirts that I bought along the way are now far too big.

Just pick up enough to keep yourself going and then completely re-vamp the wardrobe at the end. To be honest, the closer you are to your healthy weight, the more options you have with clothes.

Advertisement