Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote heating Control - Climote or alternatives?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Heres my current set-up......
    Oil boiler with 3 manual taps to control heating to Upstairs, downstairs and Hot water. TRVs on all rads (which have helped enormously in improving oil usage). Standard timer on front of boiler.....(11 year old Firebird 85/115 heating a 2500 sq ft 2-story house - I don't know the efficiency of it?)
    What i would like to have is a remote system and a more effective timer that can heat the individual zones and that id like to be able to turn on the heating an hour before i return using an app on my iphone or webpage and that can connect through the house broadband network, and preferably not text/SMS based.
    Was looking at the Climode from the ESB, but wanted to know if anyone had better/alternative options as the annual maintenance fee puts me off and it is quite expensive for the technology you are getting, someone is making a lot of money on this.
    interested in views/thoughts. didnt find much on this when i searched the forum.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Thanks, but that looks a little expensive at €2 grand......any alternatives? considering i already have TRVs installed, so really i only need a wi-fi enabled controller unit, which is effectively what the Climote is.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

I'm going to put one of these in to our new place, cheaper and has functions you require
    http://www.heatmiser.co.uk/web/index.php/wifi-thermostats
    Found interesting thread on Climote herehttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78923892

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Thanks, but that looks a little expensive at €2 grand
    It's ridiculously expensive for what it is. I got a quote off them and it came to €2,500 - and involved just 12 rads. Even then, I'm not sure if that included the gsm module - and of course with that, you need a sim - so not as economical as a wifi based solution.

With regard to the heatmiser solution, are the stats that come with this battery powered or mains? Would make a big difference to me if battery powered was possible - as I need to retrofit - and I don't really want the trouble or expense of wiring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

With regard to the heatmiser solution, are the stats that come with this battery powered or mains?

I can see wireless stats available http://www.heatmiser.com/web/brochures/wireless.pdf but the actuators need wired supply (may be possible to run along skirting board/under carpet.) A system equivalent to radeco set up would probably work out as, if not more, expensive with heatmiser but in my opinion would look way cooler, I don't like the aesthetics of the radeco at all.

Personally I'd love to go for the whole fully zoned system with stats in each room and actuators on each valve but it's too expensive for my budget. I'm only going for one wifi stat that has two zones - one zone for downstairs heating zone and the other (designed as hot water control) to set on/off time for the upstairs zone. Hot water itself will just be set up on cheap non-wifi normal timer (thanks Mac). There'll still be the smartphone app feature to play with but whether this feature will make much impact on the gas bill remains to be seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Contacted Heatmiser yesterday via email with my query - explaining my setup and asking them to provide a list of the kit needed. Received a response saying to ring their UK number (I had provided mine - why they couldnt make the call is anyones guess). Called - then put on hold twice. He then started rattling off model numbers for the various bits of kit that would be needed. I was trying to write these out on a scrap of paper - and asked if he would email on the list.
    i.e. ONLY a simple list of the items required (so as I wouldn't end up ordering the wrong kit). There was a long pause followed by..."um...yeah - you should take note of them now anyway". i.e. in other words, I wont bother taking the 2 minutes required to email that to you.
    He then clarified that the 'stats would have to be wired to the mains. I told him that I needed wireless battery powered stats. At this point, he feigned hearing loss - pretending that there was a problem with the line - that he couldn't hear me....and ultimately hung up on me - the customer. No call back, no email.
    When the ticket was closed, I received an automated email asking me to complete a satisfaction survey. I provided the account above.
    No call back, no email.

Steer clear - and source elsewhere.

Additionally, their system works out quite expensive when all is said and done. In addition to the controller unit and 2 'stats, there's an extra piece of kit required if the system is to be accessed via web browser/app.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

www.gsm-auto.com/

For switching on or off your system remotely with no operating cost have a look at GSM Auto. Although it is text based, the SIM card in the unit recognises your number and does not actually answer the call, thereby not incurring any charge. You have the option of getting a confirmation text showing that the switching operation has been carried out but this does incur a text cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

I'm looking in to something similar. I have found http://www.tado.com/en/ and http://www.nest.com/ but Nest will not work (without hacking) in Europe.

I'm leaning towards Radeco though as it seems the easiest to retro fit to a non-zoned set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

philroche wrote: »
    I'm looking in to something similar. I have found http://www.tado.com/en/ and http://www.nest.com/ but Nest will not work (without hacking) in Europe.

I'm leaning towards Radeco though as it seems the easiest to retro fit to a non-zoned set up.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/room-control/temperature_control/Thermostat-Radiator-Valve-Set-11937516?skuId=12448222

This looks very like the radeco setup IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭randombar

How're people getting on with this?

Same set up as people here, 1 controller/timer controls 2 zones and hot water, room stats in hallway downstairs and master bedroom upstairs.

Contacted Heatmiser myself and pretty much same experience as above.

They dont seem to have a three channel version (Upstairs/Downstairs/Hot Water) which would seem pretty standard to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caaxx

philroche wrote: »
    Nice find. It seems they have a WiFi controller too, see http://www.jsjsdesigns.com/product.html and http://www.lightwaverf.com/product-range

The LightwaveRF radiator valves look very clever. Has anyone tried them?

I just bought the Climote, awaiting installation. There's currently a 50 euro off offer available until the end of November '13. I picked it up at the ideal homes show. The discount code is:

EIH0004

if anyone is interested.

My current 3 zone timer drives me crazy! Setting it is just really painful with a 7 day timer and 3 zones per day, you pretty much have to set them all individually. There is a copy function, but the interface is painfully slow. Looking forward to getting the Climote!

caaxx wrote: »

I just bought the Climote, awaiting installation. There's currently a 50 euro off offer available until the end of November '13. I picked it up at the ideal homes show. The discount code is:

EIH0004

if anyone is interested.

My current 3 zone timer drives me crazy! Setting it is just really painful with a 7 day timer and 3 zones per day, you pretty much have to set them all individually. There is a copy function, but the interface is painfully slow. Looking forward to getting the Climote!

Same as myself, herself is always asking to extend or change the start end times of the timer I have and I just avoid it like the plague. Waiting on installation of mine now too.

Also saw this at the ideal homes, looked pretty class.

http://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/yale-digital/Keyfree-digital-lock/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

caaxx wrote: »

EIH0004

if anyone is interested.

Climote is great bar the ongoing charge every year ! €44.28 !

Im about to get a new boiler in and was looking around to see if there was a better alternative to climote , in the mean time I got this email from them ,

Dear Peter,

We’re sorry that you appear to have not to renewed your climote remote access service.
    Your remote access service will be disconnected within three days, without further notice and you will no longer be able to control your heating remotely from your smartphone, mobile device or over the internet. To renew immediately, please call +353 (0) 42 939 5020 or visit our website at www.climote.com and select Remote Access Service.
    If you renew today, we will backdate your service date to your last renewal date and there will be no further penalty. However, to re-instate the remote access fee after today will incur a re-connection fee of €85.
    Payment can be made by credit card via our website or by phone. You’ll be asked for the email address and device mobile number that you use to access your climote HUB. Please have this information ready.
    If you have recently renewed the service or have any other concerns, please email us at info@climote.ie.

Best regards
    The climote team

Im looking into the

https://www.tado.com/ie/shop/#/startpage

I have being speaking with there support team today am strong thinking of getting the system install as well as the stats .

I think you get two years free with climote and hopefully at that stage nest will be in Europe :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I think you get two years free with climote and hopefully at that stage nest will be in Europe :D

Im nearly sure it used to be two years myself but it is only a year now

281914.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Climote is great bar the ongoing charge every year ! €44.28 !

Im about to get a new boiler in and was looking around to see if there was a better alternative to climote , in the mean time I got this email from them ,

Dear Peter,

We’re sorry that you appear to have not to renewed your climote remote access service.
    Your remote access service will be disconnected within three days, without further notice and you will no longer be able to control your heating remotely from your smartphone, mobile device or over the internet. To renew immediately, please call +353 (0) 42 939 5020 or visit our website at www.climote.com and select Remote Access Service.
    If you renew today, we will backdate your service date to your last renewal date and there will be no further penalty. However, to re-instate the remote access fee after today will incur a re-connection fee of €85.
    Payment can be made by credit card via our website or by phone. You’ll be asked for the email address and device mobile number that you use to access your climote HUB. Please have this information ready.
    If you have recently renewed the service or have any other concerns, please email us at info@climote.ie.

Best regards
    The climote team

Im looking into the

https://www.tado.com/ie/shop/#/startpage

I have being speaking with there support team today am strong thinking of getting the system install as well as the stats .
    That should be great for me. It says it will save you over €900.00 a year on heating costs.
    As my heating costs last year were €840.00 it will be free this year and Someone will give me €60.00 cash back.
    I fitted solo rads in seven rooms. They can be set to four different settings so no need to add controls although the new printed circuit has terminals for further remote control.
    A gsm controller on donedeal for €149.00 (I have seen another one someplace else that is sub €100.00) and I can switch on and off at will at no cost as on free calls and txts.
    Now if I could only get something to light the solid fuel boiler remotely

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    That should be great for me. It says it will save you over €900.00 a year on heating costs.
    As my heating costs last year were €840.00 it will be free this year and Someone will give me €60.00 cash back.
    I fitted solo rads in seven rooms. They can be set to four different settings so no need to add controls although the new printed circuit has terminals for further remote control.
    A gsm controller on donedeal for €149.00 (I have seen another one someplace else that is sub €100.00) and I can switch on and off at will at no cost as on free calls and txts.
    Now if I could only get something to light the solid fuel boiler remotely

Looks like its only €250 on a €900 heating bill , hope you aint spent all that heating money yet

281975.png

There is always a catch.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    There is always a catch.

Yep , I was never told about the yearly charge on the climote when I got it ,

In fairness thats my own fault and I should of researched it more at the time,

My system at the moment is just driving me nuts , either too cold or warm never just rite , the new Honeywell Evo touch system looks like it would be perfect but it will cost a small fortune !

• Advertisement

Yep , I was never told about the yearly charge on the climote when I got it ,

In fairness thats my own fault and I should of researched it more at the time,

My system at the moment is just driving me nuts , either too cold or warm never just rite , the new Honeywell Evo touch system looks like it would be perfect but it will cost a small fortune !
    I have had trv's fitted for years and I reckon they were a waste as they never came into play except for a small toilet/shower. I also had low water content alurads.
    Two years ago I fitted a Solo rad in the hallway and it made a huge difference. So much so that I fitted another six this year.
    I have found them excellent and there is great control.
    You set them on a scale of 1 to 4 with the press of a button and they cut in and out as the room temperature rises and drops.

The only thing I have against them is that when they cut off they only cut the fan and the hot water continues to pass through the radiator which I find is a waste.

When my solid fuel boiler drops down to 40c and 30c the ordinary rads are useless but the Solos keep putting out heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

digging up old thread, I'm looking into teching up my 3 zone heating control by using a 5Eur sonoff device that can be controlled via the web. Am looking for an electrician than can wire this into my heating control

dauhee wrote: »
    digging up old thread, I'm looking into teching up my 3 zone heating control by using a 5Eur sonoff device that can be controlled via the web. Am looking for an electrician than can wire this into my heating control

Would definitely not use the sonoff for this one, have a couple myself and the built quality isn't great. IMO they are a cheap device for tinkering and maybe plugging into light switches but should definitely not be used for a heating system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

dauhee wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pooW8nZwp2M
    John Ward does a good review on the above link.

I have a single channel sonoff 16A with temperature sensor. It works well. Drawbacks are, only 8 timers allowed and sometime the server is down and remote control is then lost, but timers continue to operate. You would need a 3 channel one if you have three zones.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement