Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview in Independent school England. Advice?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm flying over to England next week for an interview at an independent school ( fee -paying)

Not sure what to expect. Has/does anyone on here work in an independent school? I worked briefly in a state school in England so have an idea of how they work but this is a totally different environment socio - economic wise etc.

It's a very academic school but also very supportive of the arts - seems like an amazing school to be honest. Nervous already. :(

Would love to hear from anyone with experience of this kind of school.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I wouldn't have a clue, but it's great to see you're interviewing. The very best of luck with it, Heydeldel - be confident. Let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I wouldn't have a clue, but it's great to see you're interviewing. The very best of luck with it, Heydeldel - be confident. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks! I'm delighted to even have been asked over! It's a nice change to the rejection letters I'm getting here.

I have to teach a 30 min lesson on how to use semi-colons...:eek: Age group are 12- 13.

Was hoping to get something more creative. I'll have to make the most interesting, creative, semi - colon lesson ever! Yikes!

Will let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm flying over to England next week for an interview at an independent school ( fee -paying)

Not sure what to expect. Has/does anyone on here work in an independent school? I worked briefly in a state school in England so have an idea of how they work but this is a totally different environment socio - economic wise etc.

It's a very academic school but also very supportive of the arts - seems like an amazing school to be honest. Nervous already. :(

Would love to hear from anyone with experience of this kind of school.

Cheers. :)

I am working in an independent school at the moment. Plan a good and interesting lesson that will make use of any resources that the classroom may have; interactive white board etc. Try and get the kids involved as much as possible.

I know when I did my interview that I had an interview with the Head of Department, Head of Academics and the Headmaster as well. Make sure that you are ready for any questions on behavior management (Not usually a problem in independent schools here but can be asked). Also differentiation within the classroom, a lot of parents of children with SEN opt for independent schools so be ready to answer questions on effective strategies.

A big thing will be what you can offer the school in terms of extra curricular activities. Most teachers are expected to contribute to outside of the classroom on a regular basis. Therefore have a few hobbies and interest that you can relate to students in the school. Also demonstrate that you have a knowledge of how GCSE works as well as the Sixth Form (I see you worked in England before so you probably know most of this already!!).

Just do a bit of research, have an air of confidence and most of all believe in yourself. You have gotten this far so they must be interested! If you have any more questions for me, ask away.

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

See can you get your hands on a documentary called 'The Unteachables' for a novel way to teach punctuation. It's probably on 4oD.
    The particular English teacher tuned in to the fact that many of the kids were kinaesthetic learners and made them perform a different action for each element of punctuation. Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I have worked in private schools in Ireland & Portugal.
    Interviewed in a couple of private schools in UK but turned jobs down in the end to stay at home here in Ireland.

I'd echo some of the points made earlier.
    Know your subject, put all the bells & whistles on your lesson, , research the school & it's ethos, know the curricula & be ready to explain how you can contribute to co-curricular activities & school life in general.

It would help if you had qualifications or were in the process of getting a qualification in some sport, drama etc

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I am working in an independent school at the moment. Plan a good and interesting lesson that will make use of any resources that the classroom may have; interactive white board etc. Try and get the kids involved as much as possible.

I know when I did my interview that I had an interview with the Head of Department, Head of Academics and the Headmaster as well. Make sure that you are ready for any questions on behavior management (Not usually a problem in independent schools here but can be asked). Also differentiation within the classroom, a lot of parents of children with SEN opt for independent schools so be ready to answer questions on effective strategies.

A big thing will be what you can offer the school in terms of extra curricular activities. Most teachers are expected to contribute to outside of the classroom on a regular basis. Therefore have a few hobbies and interest that you can relate to students in the school. Also demonstrate that you have a knowledge of how GCSE works as well as the Sixth Form (I see you worked in England before so you probably know most of this already!!).

Just do a bit of research, have an air of confidence and most of all believe in yourself. You have gotten this far so they must be interested! If you have any more questions for me, ask away.

Best of luck!

Great advice!

I have a few extra curricular interests; equestrian stuff in particular. The school are hugely into equestrian sports - one of the reasons I'm so smitten with the school.

I've also done creative writing workshops, bit of film -making with kids, so all that should help.

I've never taught semi -colons before. I think they've deliberately given a tricky topic. It could become very confusing for the kids if I make a hash of it. Especially for the SENs. I will also have two gifted students in the class so need to plan for those too.

Anyway, whatever happens it will be great interview experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Great advice!

I have a few extra curricular interests; equestrian stuff in particular. The school are hugely into equestrian sports - one of the reasons I'm so smitten with the school.

I've also done creative writing workshops, bit of film -making with kids, so all that should help.

I've never taught semi -colons before. I think they've deliberate given a tricky topic. It could become very confusing for the kids if I make a hash of it. Especially for the SENs. I will also have two gifted students in the class so need to plan for those too.

Anyway, whatever happens it will be great interview experience. :)

Sounds like you have lots to offer the school anyway! Even look into see can you offer to teach Media Studies as well? Maybe you do already, but versatility is also great to have.

I am not an English teacher but I found this useful and interesting when I need to freshen up on semicolons. Nice handout at the end maybe.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have lots to offer the school anyway! Even look into see can you offer to teach Media Studies as well? Maybe you do already, but versatility is also great to have.

I am not an English teacher but I found this useful and interesting when I need to freshen up on semicolons. Nice handout at the end maybe.

Ah! That's so weird. I just printed that out. I've actually never learned about semi -colons. Shameful! I certainly never learned about them at school.

I'll definitely pillage from that. Hopefully the students will have a sense of humor.

So, didn't get the job. The interview experience was great, and having to teach an observed lesson was excellent too.

My heart is really not into moving at the moment anyway. Hopefully I'll get something nearer home soon!

Thanks for all the help and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

So, didn't get the job. The interview experience was great, and having to teach an observed lesson was excellent too.

My heart is really not into moving at the moment anyway. Hopefully I'll get something nearer home soon!

Sorry to hear this but maybe its for the better if your heart isn't set on moving. It is excellent experience though. I always remember an interview I did for a private school in Aberdeen, and while I didn't get it, they sure put me through my paces for the full day. They are so much more thorough than the interviews that take place in Irish schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Sorry to hear that. Did they offer to refund any of the money for flights etc?

Yep, flights will be refunded. Glad I went; got to see how the other half live. :D
    Amazing school.

Really want to live and work here though, just have to keep plugging away at the job applications.

Advertisement