Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I still study abroad?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I've heard that if you have repeats in August, you can't do an erasmus.

I've been planning on going to America for next year; I have the money ready, university picked out, essay written, reference talked to, forms filled out etcetcetc. I've never received anything below an honour before, but I had an exam yesterday which went positively woeful, largely due to a timing issue.

My question is, am I correct about being ineligible for an American erasmus if you have repeats in August? If so, is there anything I can do?

Thanks very much for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

As far as I know once you pass the repeat you will be able to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

I was planning on going to the States next year as well, to Boston College. I'm in the same boat as you, a bit worried about having repeats in August :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm pretty sure a friend of mine who went on Erasmus had to do repeats just before she left. So I'm sure it's okay. Might be best to ask the International Office just in case 'cause they will know for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

From the International office website..
    Students wishing to study abroad in Non-EU destinations must pass all of their summer exams. It is not possible to study abroad if you fail your summer exams and are required to sit the autumn repeat examinations

I'd say your best bet would be to go and talk to them though. It might be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

plumpote wrote: »
    From the International office website..

I'd say your best bet would be to go and talk to them though. It might be fine!

That's what has me worried. I emailed my lecturer for the module and she told me she would speak with the department, and to put it out of my mind for now and concentrate on the rest of my exams. Hard to do anything but sit here worrying though :(

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    and to put it out of my mind for now and concentrate on the rest of my exams. Hard to do anything but sit here worrying though

Well you've done all you can for the moment, so just try and relax about it, and concentrate on the rest of the exams! I'm sure it'll all be fine. If Seren_'s friend went away, why shouldn't you! Best of luck! And let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm in 1st year of MH106 (Psychology). It's a 3 year course and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that you can do a year abroad. Does anyone know if it's possible? I would really love to experience college and life in NY for a year and would love to give it a go when i'm doing my Undergrad.

I'm in 1st year of MH106 (Psychology). It's a 3 year course and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that you can do a year abroad. Does anyone know if it's possible? I would really love to experience college and life in NY for a year and would love to give it a go when i'm doing my Undergrad.

Hey PictureFrame,

If you go onto the International website, it tells you who can go abroad here:

http://international.nuim.ie/nuim-students-abroad/who-can-study-abroad

(you'll need to talk to your international co-ordinator, see http://international.nuim.ie/nuim-students-abroad/you-can-go/coordinators)

And then you'll have to decide where to go. The list of Non-EU colleges is here:http://international.nuim.ie/partners/noneu but you'll have to do most of the research yourself-what colleges do psychology, what the accommodation is like etc.

Don't worry too much about it just yet, as you don't usually go abroad until after 2nd year, but no harm to be researching it a bit beforehand anyway!

Hope this helps!

Advertisement