Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero Alcohol Aftershave / Balm that still smells good?

Options
  • 08-01-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some recommendations on Zero alcohol AS or ASB's if you have any?

I know some they are are alcohol free but they contain small amounts of it and unfortunately i cannot use any, with any Alcohol whatsoever.

Its a tough one to get a zero alcohol AS/ASB, but i suppose even tougher to get one that smells nice and has longevity...:confused:

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What works for me is using witch hazel as a post-shave treatment instead of AS and using a separate cologne for the scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

thanks for that but does that cologne contain alcohol??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Just out of curiosity, why can you not use alcohol based aftershaves or balms?

As far as suggestions go maybe try this one by Proraso. It probably won't have much longevity to the sent as Proraso aftershaves and the old balm they used to make have a fairy subtle scent.

I believe the Castle Forbes line of aftershave balms are alcohol free, but the price may be an issue for some.

Maybe even send Chris an email (info@shaving.ie) and see if he can recommend some stuff for you.

The suggestion of witch hazel and a seperate cologne might be the route to go with for you.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why can you not use alcohol based aftershaves or balms?

Work, i work in a controlled environment
    As far as suggestions go maybe try this one by Proraso. It probably won't have much longevity to the sent as Proraso aftershaves and the old balm they used to make have a fairy subtle scent.

I believe the Castle Forbes line of aftershave balms are alcohol free, but the price may be an issue for some.

thanks for that
    Maybe even send Chris an email (info@shaving.ie) and see if he can recommend some stuff for you.

sent one via his site today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

thebullkf wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Looking for some recommendations on Zero alcohol AS or ASB's if you have any?

I know some they are are alcohol free but they contain small amounts of it and unfortunately i cannot use any, with any Alcohol whatsoever.

Its a tough one to get a zero alcohol AS/ASB, but i suppose even tougher to get one that smells nice and has longevity...:confused:

thanks

I hear "eau the bang of yupyup" is very good me mot loves it anyway;)

• Advertisement

Work, i work in a controlled environment

Ah right, never thought about the controlled work environment.
    thanks for that

There is another Proraso balm that I forgot to include the link of. Here it is now.
    sent one via his site today:)

Hopefully Chris should be able to help you out with more suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

You can buy samples of this one http://connaughtshaving.com/jerasl.html

thanks folks especially kaiser;)

I forgot about the Jermyn Street aftershave. I have a bottle and rarely use it because it normally has a reaction with my skin for some reason.

Smells nice though.

I forgot about the Jermyn Street aftershave. I have a bottle and rarely use it because it normally has a reaction with my skin for some reason.

Smells nice though.

Well if you're not using it and thinking of selling it frank I may be interested, will keep checking though. Thanks:)

• Advertisement

I am considering getting rid of it to be honest so I'll let you know - more than likely tomorrow. I'll give it a go in the morning and see if I've had enough of it.

thanks for that but does that cologne contain alcohol??

Most of the colognes would indeed contain alcohol. Apologies, I was thinking you were trying to avoid alcohol around the facial area and a spray of cologne on the body might be an alternative.

I reckon you will have a challenge finding alcohol free products as it is the alcohol which creates the sillage as it evaporates.

Trumpers skin food might be another option worth looking at, however I find the scent doesn't last long.

Trumpers Skin Food actually contains acohol too. I was surprised to see it when I looked at the ingredient list earlier for the bottle I have.

Looks like Trumpets have updated what they list as ingredients since I bought my last batch a couple of years back!
    I'm unsure whether they always had alcohol but listed under a different chemical name (glycerol) or whether stricter labelling regulation has meant they have had to change from just listing 'fragrance' to listing what exactly makes up the fragrance part and in turn alcohol.

Seems to be several threads on B&B and SRP debating it.

Thanks for replies guys, I know it's a difficult one alright, have coral and sandalwood skin food, arko balm, proraso original and balm, Nivea sensitive, speck original and balm, also have the pur sandalwood but its extremely strong I assume there's alcohol in it... This is on top of my regular ones that have alcohol, Spanish leather, Marlborough, Astor etc..

I am considering getting rid of it to be honest so I'll let you know - more than likely tomorrow. I'll give it a go in the morning and see if I've had enough of it.

Cool that's great, sure let me know:)

Cool that's great, sure let me know:)

Yeah, you have have it. PM me your address and I'll try get it posted to you in the morning or on Friday.

Yeah, you have have it. PM me your address and I'll try get it posted to you in the morning or on Friday.

thats great frank. will pm you now. Send me yours and i'll return the favour with some blades/sample soap etc:)

Advertisement