Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you want to learn to swim

Options
  • 08-01-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

First some background.

The members of my club(Phoenix TC) can be roughly broken down into two categories.
    The fish - the 5 minute (or less) 400m swimmers, the guys/gals who do IM (Individual Medley in case there is confusion) as warm up.
    Then there are the bricks - the guys who cannot swim and who deep down known they will never ever ever be able to swim.

Most of the club are fish or bricks. These people don't need, or want to invest time, in swim coaching.

Some members however are fish shaped bricks. Not fantastic swimmers but want to improve and still believe that they can. To aid this deluded people, of whom I am one, in their quest to learn to swim one of the club coaches Darren Cranston (aka Mr Tango) puts on a weekly swim session.

The goals of these sessions are to work on technique, improve technique and then to observe technique under load. The idea being to improve peoples technique using this sessions and the people still go off and do the longer sessions during the rest of the week. Darren also sets these sessions for those that want them.

Now of these fish shaped bricks some are made of concrete, some are made of pumice.

The pumice fish shaped bricks come once a month for tunes ups to their technique and to bring things on. They are given refinements to work on for the next month and incrementally their stroke gets polished.

The concrete fish shaped bricks come weekly. Darren is quite honest and straight about who really really needs the weekly care. The goal being that after a number of months they can move to the monthly sessions.

Nice ramble but what its got to do with you?

A few slots have opened up, for concrete and pumice fish. The technique work is top notch and the numbers in the lane are kept low. 6 is the ideal number for balancing cost and attention.

Sessions are at 9pm in Tallaght on Monday nights.

If interested let me know - you don't have to be a Phoenix TC member, just a TI member and standard wise you'd need to be doing a 400m short course TT in under 8 minutes. Ten euro a session.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

I can vouch that these sessions are well worth the investment! Darren knows his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I can also vouch for these sessions so much so i travelled down from Drogheda to Tallaght every week for 6 months.
    An 18 minute improvement in IM swim (taking into account Barca was about 300/400mtrs long is not to be sniffed and further more i know exactly what needs to be done now for further improvements.

I would still be conisdered a concrete fish shaped brick so hope for all:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've been on the brink of these for months, now I'm going backwards. The fact even Fran can float now is what enticed me. :)

Advertisement