Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private vs Semi-Private

Options
  • 08-01-2013 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Just looking for some insight in the Private vs Semi-Private debate that is on the horizon for myself and the wife.

The background is, on the 1st child we went private in the Rotunda. Was an easy enough pregnancy, no issues in the 9 months. Went in on due date, the consultant suggested a C-section as he felt the heart beat was slower the normal. So that was done, epidural etc, and no real drama. 5 days in the hospital, 2 in semi-private room and 2 in a private. Costs was around 4k I think.
    What I'd heard before we went private was all about all the benefits. More consultant visits, same consultant all the way including at delivery, private room. In the end over the 5/6 visits I think we saw our consultant on 75% of the visits, and on the day it was a different consultant........who is supposedly the ''best''......or most expensive as far as I could see. I'm sure his larger fee is probably due to more experience (years). Looking at our consultant I'm sure she had at least 20 years experiences, so I'm sure there is nothing much she hadn't seen.

So what's going to be the difference between moving to semi-private. What are the differences. Maybe you don't see the same consultant everytime (but didn't have that anyway). Didn't have a private room for the full stay last time. With your second pregnancy I think your a bit more relaxed as its not a new experience so I don't think the private room is as need. My wife says she would probably want to get home quicker anyway.
    When push comes to shove (sorry for the phrase) when you in labour (or throughout your pregnancy) the hospital is going to give you the best of treatment as a duty of care regardless of whether you are private, semi or public I would assume.

So what I trying to justify is the cost differential which I believe can be somewhere between 1500 - 2000. Can someone give me and idea what it is. I'm not been a bloke here and trying to save money, the money will be spent. My view is that 2k could give you 4-8 weeks additional unpaid leave.

Surely thats a better way to spend your money (there is a limited amount to spend)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

My wife is semi-private in Rotunda at the moment. She is 37 weeks and so far, we have seen different doctors at each appointment and have seen 2 different midwives (we did see same midwife twice)
    Apparently, in semi private there are a pool of 4-5 doctors that you can see with the consultant overseeing.

Everyone we have seen has been very nice and professional and we havent had to queue for too long at any appointment

Regarding the room situation, I think my wife will get a semi-private room only if there is one free...

So I can't say anything against Semi-private.

My sister just had baby in Rotunda through public system and said the queues at appointments were horrendous but apart from that the care she received when in hospital was fantastic (baby had complications and ended up in icu but is fine now)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I went private, not in the Rotunda. I feel I got better care. That might not be PC but comparing notes with other mums I got a lot more support for breastfeeding and help with baby from the nurses as I was on the private ward for five days after a section. Baby was minded so I could sleep and I loved having the privacy of my own room and bathroom, plus I got continuity of care from my excellent consultant, who delivered my baby and visited me every day, twice a day afterwards, as well as doing a check up three months later. I found people thought semi private was a bit of a waste of money. I wouldn't go public, I am not good in communal hospital settings and i know it would affect my recovery.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Had a baby in July in the Rotunda, went public, the queues weren't that bad I just asked for a late afternoon appointment everytime I was making a new one. I usually got one for 3:30 and was seen by 4. The only long wait I had was for the first booking appointment and that was only 2 hours and sure I was in with the midwife for 45 mins of that, then got bloods, saw the consultant too. At 37 weeks I started having some complications and I happened to see one of the assistant masters on that visit and then he saw me for the rest and kept an eye on me and at 39+6 he decided to induce and had me started that night. So public really really isn't that bad, i couldn't have justified spending the money and instead I took some unpaid leave. The wards are busy there are 10 mothers to a postnatal ward in the Rotunda, but I saw the semi-p rooms and they seemed to have more beds then they should have and looked quite small and cramped. I had my baby at 7:10pm and was offered early home release at 11am the next day. The pre and postnatal care I had was great, very attentive and when the time came to induce me even being a public patient the consultant made sure I was bumped to the top of the list as he wasn't happy with how we were getting on. Care wise if something does go wrong there is no difference in the care, and that's the only thing I was concerned about.

Advertisement