Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Skills Recognised

Options
  • 08-01-2013 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I am just wondering if anybody would have any information on somewhat "fast-tracking" an apprenticeship in plumbing, electrical or carpentry. I've been working in construction for over 10 years now but unfortunately for myself I've never done an apprenticeship. I've had a chat with a member of FAS and they say there is a way to speed it up if an employer can find me eligible enough. I'm just wondering if anybody has gone this route before.

Thanks
    Gareth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bilko05

who ever you where talking to in FAS hasn't a clue.unless your registered with FAS as an apprentice by an employer in your given trade then you cant even start.it wont matter if you have 20 years experience at plumbing,carpentary etc you'll have to get registered with FAS and start a 4 yr apprenticeship in your trade.the apprenticeship is 7 phases,4 are on site and 3 are off(i.e FAS training,and the on bolton st DIT)where you have to pass your state exmas.it wont matter what experience you have,you cant jump into the phases because you might of worked in a given trade for so long,you have to start at the begining.where the person at FAS might be getting mixed up with is that they are now taking in apprentices to DIT's to do there state exams without doing there on site phases(because there is no work around for them to work on sites)and letting them do the collage/exam end of the apprenticeship instead of them sitting around doing nothing...but....its of little help because when they come out of collage they still have to do there on site phases to complete there apprenticeship,so there back to square one.hope this helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skillsrec

Ok, cheers bilko05.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

From the FAS site FAQ:

"I’ve worked in a trade for a number of years but wasn’t a registered apprentice, can this time be considered as part of my apprenticeship?
    FAS will consider applications for exemptions from the Standards-Based Apprenticeship programme for trade-related experience. However applicants must be registered as an apprentice before an application can be considered."

So it would appear that it is possible and I certainly know one who managed to do this in another trade some years ago! Note however that you must be registered before making the application for exemption.

So OP I would say that it is definitely worth following up on this with FAS and see what is involved. I would expect that documenting your experience and getting it confirmed by your previous employers will be a big part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bilko05

he must be registered as an apprentice jim 2007...not just registered with fas...and even then he might not get an exemption,which i can tell you are very rare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bilko05 wrote: »
    he must be registered as an apprentice jim 2007...not just registered with fas...and even then he might not get an exemption,which i can tell you are very rare.

Yes, but that is a long way from your first statement!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok sorry am i missing a major difference here but you say you have been working in construction for 10 years, where is the influence on plumbing, electrician or carpentary. many people work in construction and have no idea on these areas. Have you direct experience in one trade, or limited experience in all trades?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skillsrec

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input so far, much appreciated.

Chris, i guess you could say a limited experience in all trades. My father is a chippy, and his father was a plumber. We've been doing home renovations and new builds for as long as I can remember, so growing up and working with different tradesmen has got me where I am now.

Advertisement