Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same level, different course.

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am attending a level 5 course at the moment and have applied (and not yet received) the grant.

However, I completed a level 5 last year aswell but didnt carry on as I lost interest.

Does this mean I don't qualify for the grant again, even though I've moved colleges? plus I live with my mother who is a lone parent and two siblings who are in school, surely I must be eligible, we're living on the breadline to put it simply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You may not be eligible.

As far as I can tell it is upto SUSI

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

I applied back in July, and hav so far received the same old same old requesting the same s**t every time, pain in the hole.

So would they take it this far with me only to shoot me down?

Mahogany wrote: »
    I applied back in July, and hav so far received the same old same old requesting the same s**t every time, pain in the hole.

So would they take it this far with me only to shoot me down?

Have you asked them if the course affects your eligibility?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Have you asked them if the course affects your eligibility?

Nope, just didn't come to my attention at the time. Just presumed you can't get it if you repeat the same course.

Here are the rules

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    (7) Subject to this paragraph, paragraphs (5) and (8), and the specific progression conditions in articles 16 to 18 a grant may not be paid in respect of a repeat period of study, on a different course. Notwithstanding this condition an applicant who, having previously pursued any course, but not completed it, wishes to pursue an approved course, shall be considered for funding in line with the following provisions—

(a) Having previously attended, but not completed, any post leaving certificate course or equivalent, an applicant shall—

(i) be required to complete an equivalent period of study on an approved post leaving certificate course before being eligible to be considered for a grant; or

(ii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved higher education course.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement