Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palaeography

Options
  • 08-01-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Anyone here interested in Palaeography ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Hi, I've a bit of a passing interest in it, studied it a few years ago in college. Can't say that I've used it much since then, but it makes crosshatch letters a bit easier to decipher though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I like reading about it. Thinking about the social use of it, like when writing was seen as a power.

Wish I had the time to study it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

<<<EDIT>>>

OP should put more information down in regard of what the thread is supposed to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

I like reading about it. Thinking about the social use of it, like when writing was seen as a power.

Wish I had the time to study it properly.

Could you recommend any books or online resources maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Breaking the Maya Code by Michael D. Coe

And a great documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Prof. Dáibhí Ó Cróinín might be worth contacting for further info.
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/history/ocroinin/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The National Archives have an online palaeography tutorial http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/ that's good for starting out with

Advertisement