Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian McKeever - Adventurer and Broadcaster: Radio Memories

Options
  • 08-01-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭

As I'm sure you are all aware now, Ian McKeever was struck by lightning on Kilimanjaro and tragically killed last Thursday. I know many of you know that Ian, as well as being a great adventurer and charity fund-raiser, had connections to radio.

I first became aware of Ian McKeever when he was one of the voices of AA Roadwatch on Radio Ireland/Today FM in 1997. He may possibly have done ths on RTE Radio before Radio Ireland came along. One evening (after the name-change to Today FM in 1998), I was listening to "The Last Word" presented by Eamon Dunphy. He had Ian on the line who was involved in a charity cycle around Ireland. This was the first time that I became aware of his adventurous side.

It was from 2007 on that Ian figured in a number of world-breaking mountaineering feats such as the 26 Peaks Challenge (Ireland) and the Seven Summits Challenge (Continents). In 2009, I heard Ian again on the radio - this time presenting programs on Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 (now known as Sunshine 106.8). Also during 2009, I understand from another forum that Ian was a regular contrubutor to Pat Kenny's Show on Radio One in relation to his mountaineering feats.

Someone said on a different forum that Ian McKeever presented a program on Tipp FM.

I heard parts of his last radio interview, given to KFM, on news reports after his death.

What radio memories do you have the very tragically departed Ian McKeever? R.I.P.

Advertisement