Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Stallman Answers Your Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What are your opinions on the subject OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

syklops wrote: »
    What are your opinions on the subject OP?
    I don't have any, not a one.

I don't have any, not a one.

Then why did you start the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I used to like him, but not so much any more.. a bit extremest for me... I like developing software that people pay for...

djmarkus wrote: »
    I used to like him, but not so much any more.. a bit extremest for me... I like developing software that people pay for...

He's a very strange individual. Opinions on the Open Source philosophy aside. He is strange.

A former colleague of mine and he, were at a company trying to get funding for GNU. He annoyed some people by coming barefoot, but, hopefully that wouldn't matter too much. They went in and introduced themselves. Seconds prior to the shaking of the hands, Richard suddenly got an itchy bum and so scratched(under the trousers), and then offered his hand to shake. They didn't get anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

LOL!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Then why did you start the thread?

Might be interesting for others?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I like developing software that people pay for...
    There is no conflict between the open source ideals and paying for software! Stallman simply believes that if the code needed to be changed he should have the option of doing it himself or paying you do to it. That is the Free(dom) that he promotes.

croo wrote: »
    There is no conflict between the open source ideals and paying for software! Stallman simply believes that if the code needed to be changed he should have the option of doing it himself or paying you do to it. That is the Free(dom) that he promotes.

Fair point, but most applications are web applications these days, which aren't actually distributed on media(core business logic is on the server side), so I wonder what his opinions are here?

Should the users of a Web Applications be allowed get the source of any they use?

i.e. users mostly pay for the service, not the application. Dropbox for example.

Fair point, but most applications are web applications these days, which aren't actually distributed on media(core business logic is on the server side), so I wonder what his opinions are here?

Should the users of a Web Applications be allowed get the source of any they use?

i.e. users mostly pay for the service, not the application. Dropbox for example.
    The aGPL addresses what is called the ASP loophole.

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    The aGPL addresses what is called the ASP loophole.

I see...

I think i'll stick with BSD :)

Linux is GPLv2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

I see...

I think i'll stick with BSD :)

I don't see how the BSD license helps in the web app sense.

the BSD license basically is do with this as you want but credit me.

It means I don't have to distribute Source code with the WebApps I develop.

in what scenario do you believe you would be forced to share your apps? Web or otherwise.

I'm not sure you fully understand how licensing works. The idea behind the BSD license is to give people the ability to re-use. But to re-use it anyway they see fit. e.g. they can then add it into closed software.

So I don't see the benefit in using a license designed for re-use when you want to close.

Yea, my line of thought doesn't make much sense, on reflection.

But it is Stallmans belief, that every WebApp in the world should be AGPL licensed, and therefore should have its source code available. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Yea, my line of thought doesn't make much sense, on reflection.

But it is Stallmans belief, that every WebApp in the world should be AGPL licensed, and therefore should have its source code available. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Well I'm a bit confused why we're focusing on "web app". He has a problem running closed software. It doesn't matter where the code runs from be it a server farm or his machine, he doesn't want to run it. web apps using closed java or whatever is hip these days is still running closed code.

It's not really relevant as it's possibly slightly far too idealistic. As you get into strange scenario's.

I'm not sure if he's ok with the Apache/BSD license So he connects to the web server running on one of the few free OS's he deems ok gNewSense. Has a plugin in the browser that can some how detect the Java app is open source and "free" which connects to a MySQL DB in order for the return to continue the app makes a call to a 3rd party service which has to go through a win2k8 box running IIS. :confused::confused:

Probably not a great example as I'm not a "web dev" but you get the general idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

He's a very strange individual. Opinions on the Open Source philosophy aside. He is strange.

A former colleague of mine and he, were at a company trying to get funding for GNU. He annoyed some people by coming barefoot, but, hopefully that wouldn't matter too much. They went in and introduced themselves. Seconds prior to the shaking of the hands, Richard suddenly got an itchy bum and so scratched(under the trousers), and then offered his hand to shake. They didn't get anything.

Made my day. :pac:

Advertisement