Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to study Graphic Design but have a degree in Leisure Management

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, I’m interested in going back to college to re-educate. I have an ordinary level degree in Leisure Management (3 years degree) classed as level 7. I have no interest in working within that field but would like to work in Graphic Design. I didn’t realize till my mid 20’s that I am actually very creative and want to find an occupation more suited to my interests. I have looked into the back to education scheme (you must be 9 months on social welfare prior to commencing your course of choice). They said I can apply for any courses higher than my current qualification which would be either Lever 8 (hons degree) or a masters. I wish to study graphic design but I don’t think I could just enter a level 8 degree with my current qualifications. Ive looked at Higher Diploma courses but Im not sure if they are classed as a level 8. Ive looked as private college courses but it looks like I’d have to fork out 5700 a year with no help from the state. Has anyone been in a similar situation to myself? I’ve also looked at the Higher Diploma in Graphic Design with Ballyfermot college but there is no mention of fees or whether or not this is classed as a level 8 (its a higher diploma 2 years). Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can't get BTEA to do a masters

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm not sure that mango salsa is right, my understanding is you can get BTEA once you are going for a higher up qualification,so as you say in you case you have a level 7 so can do level 8 and up.

I know people who got it who had a level 8 and were going to do a level 9.

Your best bet is to go into social welfare office and talk to someone there.

Also just to be aware BTEA doesn't cover fees that is covered separately by a grant which is awarded by your local VEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,873 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Postgraduate courses

Only certain postgraduate courses in Ireland are eligible for the BTEA scheme. You can get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching).

Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA. The only exception to this is where a college has admitted a person without a primary degree to a Master’s course on the basis of relevant life experience - in these cases the person may be entitled to BTEA.

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    Postgraduate courses

You may get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or a Graduate Diploma in Education (primary and secondary teaching). Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA.

http://www.redundancy.ie/employee/educationoptions/btea.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement