Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter Books for a classroom

Options
  • 07-01-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I'm a primary teacher and a lot of my children have a pretty large resistance to reading a lot of the (very dated) books we have in our class library. Does anybody know of anywhere I could get my hands on Harry Potter second hand paperbacks or other similar titles at an inexpensive price? Unfortunately our school doesn't have a fund for the books so I'll be paying for them myself; therefore, value is important!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Amazon are usually good for stuff like this, the problem is that the postage may end up being the killer, however if you were able to get a number of books from one seller and contacted them asking to combine postage then it would be much better.

Have your tried car boot sales, there are always people selling books and you will get them for next to nothing that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Charity shops, also ask parents to send in books their children no longer want(good condition only!!)It's possible in some areas to get class novels on loan from the local libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Are you ever near Phibsboro?

I'll gladly donate these to you :)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336a2a051fed6a84992ba600ec6fa705a9c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I also have all the books I would be willing to donate. PM me for details!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheGreatHuman

maximoose wrote: »
    Are you ever near Phibsboro?

I'll gladly donate these to you :)

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336a2a051fed6a84992ba600ec6fa705a9c.jpg

Thank you that would be amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

+1 on Charity Shops. One near me (in Inchicore, Dublin) has rakes of Harry Potter and lots of them look like they've never been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

You could offer to do a collection. Ask parent and past pupils, put a notice in the local shops and church, ask the GAA to put something in their local newsletter. Plenty of people have books they want to get rid of and the likes of Oxfam can hardly sell them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

If you are a teacher in a Primary School then you can obtain a block loan account from Dublin City Public Libraries. This allows you to borrow Junior Library books for a class for an extended period of time. If you are close to Phibsborough then you're close to the library there and to the Central Library in the ILAC Centre.

Call in and collect a form which will have to be stamped / cleared by your school.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

you're more than welcome to my Harry Potter books too! PM me if interested.

Advertisement