Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitoring software

Options
  • 07-01-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking for help and suggestions with something.

While recently clearing out old file off our family comp I noticed some activity that I know had nothing to do with my self or our family. We have a baby sitter every now and again and she has had her boyfriend over on a few occasions.

I'm looking for either paid or free software that will run in the background and record everything done on our comp. But I don't want them noticing it running like you would with the likes of an anti-virus or malware program.

Any suggestions.

Again, the whole point of this is to find. Out what is being viewed and accessed while were not home so I don't want this showing in the program list, folders anything. But I need it to run in stealth in the background.

Thank you in advancee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you don't trust them to use your computer then use a long password which uses non alpha numeric characters and no dictionary words and turn it off before going out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

I would selotape a notice on the monitor - "NO ACTIVITY"

• Registered Users Posts: 27 countknickers

Any Helpful Suggestions would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Any Helpful Suggestions would be great.

OP I doubt very much that allowing people to use your computer without telling them that it is being monitored would be legal.

How would you like if someone monitored your usage such as entering private passwords and correspondence that has nothing to do with you? Either don't let them use the computer or ignore their activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

this software offers a 7-day trial:
    http://download.cnet.com/System-Surveillance-Pro/3000-2162_4-10332800.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mashia

If you don't mind to install a keylogger on your computer, you can download Micro Keylogger from CNET.
    http://download.cnet.com/Micro-Keylogger/3000-2162_4-75375292.html?tag=mncol;1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If you dont tell them that they are being monitored and you see passwords or personal account information you could get yourself into a lot of trouble and be at risk of civil liability.

Best bet. put a sign up where it can be easily seen stating that the system is being monitored and that the logs will be checked for unacceptable activity.

then log away but I'd still be wary of keylogging and instead just concetrate on system logs and maybe look for a solution that lets you log website requests and times rather than what actually gets typed in. have you looked at your broadband router logs? does that keep track of HTTP requests or traffic in/out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

FSL wrote: »
    If you don't trust them to use your computer then use a long password which uses non alpha numeric characters and no dictionary words and turn it off before going out.
    If it is a PC then that can be avoided by using Kon boot.

mashia wrote: »
    If you don't mind to install a keylogger on your computer, you can download Micro Keylogger from CNET.
    http://download.cnet.com/Micro-Keylogger/3000-2162_4-75375292.html?tag=mncol;1

to be honest i'm not really wanting to capture passwords just site and file visits.

I might consider a keylogger after this has been resolved so I can keep an eye on what's going on with the kids in case there is any bullying going on.

But thank you for your helpful input.

LoLth wrote: »
    If you dont tell them that they are being monitored and you see passwords or personal account information you could get yourself into a lot of trouble and be at risk of civil liability.

Best bet. put a sign up where it can be easily seen stating that the system is being monitored and that the logs will be checked for unacceptable activity.

then log away but I'd still be wary of keylogging and instead just concetrate on system logs and maybe look for a solution that lets you log website requests and times rather than what actually gets typed in. have you looked at your broadband router logs? does that keep track of HTTP requests or traffic in/out ?

Will do that, thank you. Never really taught about that side of things when I posted 1st. I guess I looked at it that it is our family comp and I should be able to monitor it.

Router doesn't log as far as I can tell but to be honest I don't know if I looked in the right place.

I'm using a linksys router if that makes it any clearer.

• Advertisement

johndoe99 wrote: »
    this software offers a 7-day trial:
    http://download.cnet.com/System-Surveillance-Pro/3000-2162_4-10332800.html

Thank you for your input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I'm using a linksys router if that makes it any clearer.
    DefenseCode turns up Linksys zero-day

Advertisement