Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Mature Student 2013-Advice?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello All,

I'm a newbie on here so am probably doing this all wrong,but couldn't find where exactly to ask this question. Im currently filling out my CAO as a mature student (I'm 23).I am interested in studying Film,English lit, Drama and Jewish and Islamic civilisations in TCD, in any available combinations.Any advice on how best to approach this (interview,letter to support my application) or on the study of any of these courses would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'm new on here, so if i should be posting this on a particular thread, please link me there instead, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Ciara Ross wrote: »
    Hello All,

I'm a newbie on here so am probably doing this all wrong,but couldn't find where exactly to ask this question. Im currently filling out my CAO as a mature student (I'm 23).I am interested in studying Film,English lit, Drama and Jewish and Islamic civilisations in TCD, in any available combinations.Any advice on how best to approach this (interview,letter to support my application) or on the study of any of these courses would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'm new on here, so if i should be posting this on a particular thread, please link me there instead, Thanks!

Trinity operates Two-Subject Moderatorships (TSM) in its arts faculty, meaning that you can either do a single subject (single honours) or focus on two (TSM). It's not possible to take more than two subjects that you list in TCD. They don't do a general liberal arts degree. So I'd suggest the first thing to do is to decide carefully, having looked at the courses online, which it is that you'd like to do.
    TCD's School of English is 3rd ranked in Europe, and hence is extremely competitive to get into. Even as a mature student, you'd need excellent results prior to applying. Drama is also very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Ciara Ross wrote: »
    Hello All,

Check out here http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/ for details on how to apply. You use a new online application system this year, see http://www.tcd.ie/maturestudents/content/pdf/00447_TCD_MatureGuide_2013.pdf for details. Closing date is February 1st.
    You must also apply to the CAO www.cao.ie Closing date also February 1st.

More information in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lizzyberm

Does anyone know what it means if the decision status of my applications has changed from 'Decision Pending' to a blank? (I did two different applications hoping this would give me a good shot at getting in)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

Mine has done the same thing. Hopefully it means "you are accepted" but I have my doubts. LOL. It probably just means that they are in the process of taking the application further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Mine says the same, I rang up about it and they said its nothing to worry about, that they are going through applications at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 knock83

Hi All
    Anyone applied for Speech and Language or Occupational Therapy as a mature student?

Yes I applied for Occupational Therapy! Have you any experience shadowing OT or Speech Therapist

bri007 wrote: »
    Yes I applied for Occupational Therapy! Have you any experience shadowing OT or Speech Therapist
    Oh great to hear from you bri007 :)
    I got as far as interview stage last year in TCD for OT, so if you have any questions....

Yeah I have experience of shadowing an OT. I was in a Rehab centre in Mullingar last year and I did two years Intellectual Disability nursing in 2003-2005 and have been working as a carer to children with special needs so have some experience.

I have a place in Pymouth Uni in England for OT in 2013 and I have an interview in UWE in Bristol next week!

I have also been talking to some Speech and Language therapists have applied to NUIG and TCD.
    Have you just applied for OT in TCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 penguinpep

Hi Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but here I go any way? Has anyone that has applied as a Mature Student for Speech and Language in TCD got any hints/tips for the interview process.Any help would be much appreciated!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I didn't study SALT but I would guess they will ask you why you want to go back to college, why to study SALT.
    They might ask you to tell them about the profession that is SALT - what areas you can work in, what types of patients you'd likely to see.
    Also, they could ask you about how you think you will cope with the workload, what you would do if you had a problem with the work/study.

It's good to look at what the course itself entails - you'll be working on cadavers in Anatomy, so maybe mention something about preparing yourself for that.

Try not to say you want to do the course because you want to 'help people'. It's cliché. Think of something different - maybe about linguistics or cognition or interpretation or diagnosis of conditions. I'm not 100% sure of all the topics they cover in SALT.

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything from Trinity?

Hi
    I have an interview for Clinical Speech and Language Studies on 9th May, 9.15 am.

Anyone else?

I did my interview for Jewish and Islamic Civilisations yesterday, it was quite informal and friendly, it seemed like just a follow up on why I really wanted to do the course, and an opportunity for me to ask questions. My interview for English Literature is on Friday, and I have to do an analysis of a specified poem to the interview. Haven't done something like that in a long time, so it's quite a challenge!

I have now been told I am on a waiting list for a place on the course I applied for, does anyone have any experience of this? How many people get wait-listed, what are my chances?

Not sure what your chances are but at least you got on the list; I just got denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ray04

Hi bri007, I applied for OT this year, had interview in UCC and TCD, no word yet from NUIG, I was offered a place in UCC so delighted with that, any news with your application?

knock83 wrote: »
    Oh great to hear from you bri007 :)
    I got as far as interview stage last year in TCD for OT, so if you have any questions....

Yeah I have experience of shadowing an OT. I was in a Rehab centre in Mullingar last year and I did two years Intellectual Disability nursing in 2003-2005 and have been working as a carer to children with special needs so have some experience.

I have a place in Pymouth Uni in England for OT in 2013 and I have an interview in UWE in Bristol next week!

I have also been talking to some Speech and Language therapists have applied to NUIG and TCD.
    Have you just applied for OT in TCD?

Hi knock83, have you heard anything from NUIG about studying OT? I have a place in Aberdeen, I have been offered a place in UCC and didn't get into TCD.

ray04 wrote: »
    Hi bri007, I applied for OT this year, had interview in UCC and TCD, no word yet from NUIG, I was offered a place in UCC so delighted with that, any news with your application?

Hi ray04, yeah I got accepted into TCD for OT :) What did TCD say to you about your application? Congrats on getting into UCC :D you must be delighted

Hi ray04, yeah I got accepted into TCD for OT :) What did TCD say to you about your application? Congrats on getting into UCC :D you must be delighted

Hi bri007, Congratulations on getting into TCD! I was letknown I was unsuccessful on that portal yoke! Ya I can’t wait to get startednow! Feel very luck because I thought I might have to move to Aberdeen to doit! Have you heard from any other college?

Thanks :D the waiting was awful,didnt think i got in. Are you living in cork or just going to move down there and study? Yeah its great not having to move over to the uk to study for it.

I didnt apply anywhere else for OT, just trinity,big gamble,but got lucky with the application.

QUOTE=ray04;85018487]
    Hi bri007, Congratulations on getting into TCD! I was letknown I was unsuccessful on that portal yoke! Ya I can’t wait to get startednow! Feel very luck because I thought I might have to move to Aberdeen to doit! Have you heard from any other college?
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Thanks :D the waiting was awful,didnt think i got in. Are you living in cork or just going to move down there and study? Yeah its great not having to move over to the uk to study for it.

I didnt apply anywhere else for OT, just trinity,big gamble,but got lucky with the application.

QUOTE=ray04;85018487]
    [/QUOTE]

its meant to be for ya! :D Ya the waiting was too much, had ring up UCC to find out how I got on! Im from Galway so that was my 1st choice, Cork was my second! be very happy to move Cork though! how are you set for it?

Did Galway say when they would let you know? I heard great things about cork, meant to be a good college.

Yeah I am looking forward to starting the course, I am a little nervous, excited all in the one :) I havent been in college since 2003,so will take a bit of getting use to again! Just have to try and organise funds now for the fees :o

its meant to be for ya! :D Ya the waiting was too much, had ring up UCC to find out how I got on! Im from Galway so that was my 1st choice, Cork was my second! be very happy to move Cork though! how are you set for it?[/QUOTE]

I sent them an email over the weekend but heard nothing back yet, ya the time I was down for the interview in Cork, was fairly impressed with it! im in the same boat about the fees! been saving up for a while but will probably still have to get part time job down there! you'll be fine in the course! where were ya studying before?

If you are Irish, don't you get the free fees scheme?

Yeah you do, however I already hold a level 7 qualification,so I will have to pay the full fess for the first 3 years of my new course,which is a level 8
    ebjarrell wrote: »
    If you are Irish, don't you get the free fees scheme?

Yeah I will get a part time jobs somewhere myself to keep me going through the year. I went to DIT,many years ago to study engineering. Where did you study before,what course?
    I sent them an email over the weekend but heard nothing back yet, ya the time I was down for the interview in Cork, was fairly impressed with it! im in the same boat about the fees! been saving up for a while but will probably still have to get part time job down there! you'll be fine in the course! where were ya studying before?

Yeah I will get a part time jobs somewhere myself to keep me going through the year. I went to DIT,many years ago to study engineering. Where did you study before,what course?

I studied economics and sociology in U.L for a year in 2007, so don't know what the story with the fees, have to read up on it!

Hey Ray
    NUIG are not the best at replying to emails, I would advise ringing them directly.
    I got a phone call last Thursday from the Health science dept inviting me for an interview for Speech and Language Therapy on Wednesday 19th June. I would imagine they will do the same for OT.
    Hope you hear back soon.

Alright, jealousy has set in. Even though I got into the Economics and Finance course at DIT, I still want to go to Trinity. I think I'm gonna appeal their "unsuccessful" application decision.

• Advertisement

knock83 wrote: »
    Hey Ray
    NUIG are not the best at replying to emails, I would advise ringing them directly.
    I got a phone call last Thursday from the Health science dept inviting me for an interview for Speech and Language Therapy on Wednesday 19th June. I would imagine they will do the same for OT.
    Hope you hear back soon.

Hi knock83, thank you for your advice, I rang NUIG today and they told me I was not shortlisted for an interview because I did not have the C3 grade in a higher level science subject, which I do. anyway now I am in limbo because I was told the interviews are on Tuesday, and I still don't know where I stand. I can only assume they did not go through my application properly because I didn't have this problem with UCC or TCD. what do you think I should do?

Advertisement