Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol Problem

• 06-01-2013 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

I've noticed lately that the Petrol-Gauge in the Dash seems to be going haywire! Sometimes I could look at it and it would show 2 bars of petrol and I'd be thinking, God I could have sworn that said 3 bars and I definitely havn't been anywhere of a considerable distance that would use up a whole bar of petrol, but then 2 minutes later I look at it again and it's gone back up to 3 Bars! Have no idea if it's having an impact effect on anything, or if it's anything serious, or why exactly it's doing this. Maybe I pressed something in the Dash to make it go like this.

I never keep track of petrol and kilometres travelled so I have no clue if any actual physical petrol is vanishing on me - like if I would have paid for more petrol than the actual tank of petrol is providing me with. I should try keep an eye on that more.

I don't know anything about the workings of petrol-gauges, it had occurred to me that, maybe it's a case of, due to travelling a relatively few-minute few short-distance trips that, one bar mightn't be fully used up yet and that's why it's kind-of teetering between two-and-three bars at the moment until I fully use up the third bar? I wonder would that be why it's teetering/switching between the second-and-third bars until one bar is completely fully used up? If that's not it, I don't know if it's something serious or what it is.

It's not actually flashing though like the last bar would be to let ya know you're nearly out of petrol, it's not flashing off and on. It's at 2 bars, I could drive for 30 seconds then see it's gone back up to 3 bars. Any suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is this generally happening on shortish journeys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Not sure exactly when to pinpoint a specific time as such that it changes, but I would do several 10-minute-journeys.

Sorry Mods this Forum seems to be about buying cars or Car-models? Would it be better in the Sub-Forum, or any other, please move if more appropriate, thanks. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not sure exactly when to pinpoint a specific time as such that it changes, but I would do several 10-minute-journeys.

Sorry Mods this Forum seems to be about buying cars or Car-models? Would it be better in the Sub-Forum, or any other, please move if more appropriate, thanks. :)

You're in the right forum

What type of car do you drive?

My car does this time on short journeys, starts off with a default value it can see then moves upwards as the car heats up.

I'd consider it nothing to worry about

Advertisement