Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 600D or 650D

Options
  • 06-01-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

So I am making the transition from a compact point and shoot camera Canon Powershot 230 SD (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX230_HS/)
    Which was brilliant, but I am keen to develop my skills and I want to improve my skills and knowledge and gain experience with it before I go traveling

I like to shoot landscape, and also long exposure time lapse photos.

Is there much difference between the Canon 600 D and Canon 650 D??

What is your experience with either of these cameras??

Or am I looking at the wrong camera for what I want??

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i appreciate all advice esp that based on lenses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

there's not much difference between the two cameras. the 650D has some fancy stuff that the 600D doesn't (but that you wouldn't really need)

there's some fantastic deals on 600D's at the moment. i got my kit for less than €600 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 silentmovies

Hey there, I had noticed that there are some serious deals currys have it at 600e, where did you get yours from could i ask?

i got mine from amazon, with free shipping to parcel motel. got it 5 days after ordering. great little camera! love the articulated screen (but that's just a fancy gizmo that's not really needed for normal stills)

True I do believe you about the screen, have you had many/any canons in the past? does the 600D have the creative tool that most canons have where you can have a monochrome pic but have one colour selected so everything is black and white but just one colour is present?

i have a 5D mkII as well as the 600D. the 600D i use as a "grab n snap" kind of camera. i don't use any creative tools in camera. i shoot in raw, and then process in aperture on my mac.

• Advertisement

Ah I see, coola boola, whats lenses did you get for your camera

well the 5d2 came with the 24-105 and the 600d came with the 19-55.
    i also have a 50mm and 85mm prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

True I do believe you about the screen, have you had many/any canons in the past? does the 600D have the creative tool that most canons have where you can have a monochrome pic but have one colour selected so everything is black and white but just one colour is present?

I have a 600D and it lets you add a filter colour for monochrome shots. Limited to about 4 colours I think. As dirtyghettokid said you're probably best off using photoshop or the like but you can get some reasonable effects with the built in options.

Hi there,

So I am making the transition from a compact point and shoot camera Canon Powershot 230 SD (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...Shot_SX230_HS/)
    Which was brilliant, but I am keen to develop my skills and I want to improve my skills and knowledge and gain experience with it before I go traveling

I like to shoot landscape, and also long exposure time lapse photos.

Is there much difference between the Canon 600 D and Canon 650 D??

What is your experience with either of these cameras??

Or am I looking at the wrong camera for what I want??

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i appreciate all advice esp that based on lenses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Phil Connors, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Forget about the camera and worry about the lenses. There might be a few more bells and whistles on the 650D but it won't take a better photo.

@Kenny Logins, sorry I'm not phil.

@5uspect; Really have you used or know of anyone with these cameras?
    I won't lie I am new to DSLR but I was just wondering does anyone else see that the 650D seems to be nothing more than a nominal upgrade

this is the third thread you have started with the exact same title. the other thread is in the cameras & accessories forum. i am going to merge the two threads, as i deleted the third already. please do not start another thread of the same title and question. thanks! :)

Oh your joking?! Balls so sorry about that, my Internet is acting up and keeps saying info not submitted, retry etc! Sorry thanks for that I do appreciate it! :]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

@Kenny Logins, sorry I'm not phil.

@5uspect; Really have you used or know of anyone with these cameras?
    I won't lie I am new to DSLR but I was just wondering does anyone else see that the 650D seems to be nothing more than a nominal upgrade

A lot of it is marketing. Sure the camera might have a slightly better menu, some new video feature or auto focus sensor, but at the end of the day it give you manual control over shutter, aperture and ISO. The image quality is so similar between all Canon's APS-C models as to not matter.

The only thing that will make a difference is the quality of the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Caramelbarrel

Any one know if it matters whether you select Asia or Oceania when trying to install the Canon Digital Solution dick on my MacBookPro???

Doesn't offer an option for Europe ^*%^&(**)*)(^*&%&^(*&()*)
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Silentmovies, you can take fantastic, amazing photos with an old 350d, 400d, etc, but a good lens will go a long way towards giving you a clean, sharp image.
    I would prefer a 400d with a good lens to a 650d with a crap lens.

The 650d has a touch screen, which may or may not be your cup of tea. It also has better support for the new STM lenses such as the 40 2.8, but whatever.

I believe the image quality is actually marginally better on the older 600d, but again, whatever.

If I was spending say 600 euro on a camera now, I would probably get a used 550d or 50d for around the 300 mark, then spend 300 on glass, for starters!

In short, don't sweat the small stuff. Your camera body is just a sensor with a shutter. Canon DSLR sensors have been amazing since around 2006. Lenses are another story altogether.

Advertisement