Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC- Stargazing Live

Options
  • 06-01-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

BBC- Stargazing Live hosted by Brian cox and Dara O'Briain.

On BBC2 At 8pm Starting on Tuesday until Thursday.

The show each night is then followed by Stargazing Live : Back to Earth

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

for what its worth, the last Sky at Night hosted by the late Sir Patrick Moore is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Stargazing Live will be great, as always.

Just watched the Sky at Night episode there, the size of that dob they were using :eek:

Wouldnt mind a look through that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Yes I really enjoyed that episode of The Sky at Night. Partly for the telescopes but also in a way as a remembrance of a great man. Sad, Poignant and kind of special. His enthusiasm for the subject is going to be badly missed.

Yet, it also made me want to go out and get a motorised (goto preferably) telescope. Or maybe a nice big Dob. (Still happy with my very ancient and small Meade though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Dara O'Briain is a muppet, IMO he ruins the show, trying to talk over Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Its a show partly trying to get the general public interested in astronomy, you need a person like O'Briain to act as a bridge between the novice audience and the science talk.
    For me he's not that annoying, but at the same time adds nothing to the show.

The weather has always been crap when the show is one, looks like the same this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

robertxxx wrote: »
    Dara O'Briain is a muppet, IMO he ruins the show, trying to talk over Brian.

You need someone like Dara to make it in some way entertaining. He also has a degree in Maths & Theoretical Physics so he actually has some clue of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

starting

Wow look how clear the night sky is now.

If only I had a scope:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Are you a Troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

I was viewing before the show and left my telescope out thinking it wouldn't dew but when I went back out after the show Couldn't see anything :(:(

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Are you a Troll?

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Sara is good I think. He lightens things up and attracts casual viewers that Brian Cox wouldn't. Brian would do a fine job hosting alone though as well.

Sara's comment about K9 being the only 70's BBC personality it was still safe to book was classic and just brilliant. David Baddiel was a far greater annoyance I think. John Bishop last year was so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

squonk wrote: »
    Sara is good I think. He lightens things up and attracts casual viewers that Brian Cox wouldn't. Brian would do a fine job hosting alone though as well.

Sara's comment about K9 being the only 70's BBC personality it was still safe to book was classic and just brilliant. David Baddiel was a far greater annoyance I think. John Bishop last year was so much better.

Sara?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

Sara, I meant Dara! Stupid autocorrection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Liz Bonnin makes astronomy very interesting. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sky at Night time. BBC 1 now.

The first ever produced without Patrick Moore at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lapin wrote: »
    Sky at Night time. BBC 1 now.

The first ever produced without Patrick Moore at the helm.

was it good? I missed it. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭LindowMan

You used to be able to see Jodrell Bank - which is part of the University of Manchester - from my grandmother's back garden. Macclesfield is just down the road.

I also visited it as a kid in 1991. Me and my parents and brother and sister were standing right next to the Lovell Telescope - the third largest steerable telescope in the world - and my dad suddenly pointed out that its wheels were moving very slowly. It was almost imperceptible. I stared at a little bit of white paint that was on one of the wheels and sure enough I saw it was moving very slightly. The next minute, though, a huge roar occurred and the whole vast structure just rotated on the circular track at great speed, and all of us just stood there in awe watching it.

The Jodrell Bank visitors' centre is a must-visit. There is a path winding its way near the Lovell Telescope and you can learn how the telescope works and the history of Jodrell Bank.

If you have kids you can also borrow a Planet Backpack, which contains binoculars and other equipment, and learn about the Solar System as you walk along the Planet Path.

After that you could then visit the Space Pavilion in the main exhibition building which allows visitors to find answers to the wonders of the Universe, listen to the sounds of the Big Bang and explore the invisible Universe using a range of hands on activities.

If you are hungry or thirsty, you can visit the Planet Pavilion and its cafe and on a lovely day you can dine on the terrace with its wonderful views of the Lovell Telescope. The Planet Pavilion also has a gift shop with plenty of astronomy-related gifts on sale, and a small exhibition room where you can explore our Universe and learn more about the planets using our model of the Solar System.

Last but not least is the Gardens, complete with a pathway connects the Galaxy Garden, Space Playground and many areas of the arboretum. The Galaxy Garden is a beautiful new addition planted to the design of TV gardener Chris Beardshaw in collaboration with Jodrell Bank Astronomer Dr Tim O'Brien. The Arboretum has two National Collections - Sorbus (Whitebeam) and Malus (Ornamental Crab Apple) which have stunning displays of blossom in the spring, followed by a diverse range of berries, fruits and vivid colour in the autumn.

Advertisement